Thread: Intel UHD vs AMD/GeForce cards

PowerPoster

Intel UHD vs AMD/GeForce cards

Been browsing new desktop pc's. Notice a significant price jump from pc's with Intel UHD graphics and ones with AMD/Geforce cards.

I don't do any gaming. Nothing that requires any heavy graphical usage (i don't think). Would it make a difference in web browsing speed? Other than that I'm not sure what benefit I would get for spending the extra money. But I've never had a pc with a dedicated graphics card.

King of sapila

Re: Intel UHD vs AMD/GeForce cards

As far as I can tell from my 2 years core I3 HP laptop UHD there is no problem playing games at medium graphics. As you don't want games but would possibly be using Visual Studio you should not have absolutely no issue with a dedicated card. Laptop Geforce was worse than UHD 2 years ago but on desktop Geforce is better.
    Now for desktops, I'm not sure for which you are referring the price jump, if it is for dedicated UHD then definitely get a stand alone Geforce, UHD will use some of your memory resources to balance the integrated graphs because they do not have a dedicated memory.
    So for laptop I would go with intel for desktop with Geforce. Of course it depends what brand on both sides since the graphic cards price have risen due to chip shortage but if it's a new card then don't hesitate to go for Geforce on desktop and the opposite on laptop, if it for 2 years old cards that I have checked and I'm sure on their performance.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Yeah, I'm a desktop guy. New machine will have 16 or 32gb ram, 512 or 1Tb SSD and a 11th gen i7 processor. It doesn't sound like I would get a performance gain with a graphics card, considering my main use will be VB and web browsing.

King of sapila

Agreed but if a PCI card sells lower than the on board one it's a non brainer. As I've said UHD will use some of your memory resources to balance the integrated graphs and you never know if on some situation you need an app that would require a graph push but at the end of the day it's your money.

If you're looking to get an Intel processor, just make do with integrated graphics until and unless you find you need something more, then you can add a dedicated graphics card at that time. I use a Surface Pro 7 for my development work and the integrated graphics is enough to drive two external 2K monitors with no issues.

PowerPoster

I starting to question my need for such a powerful machine. My current pc is has 4th gen i7, 16gb ram and a 512gb ssd.

As a test I just open VS 2019, 2017, 2010 and VB6. Started running a couple of apps. Opened MS Word, my Chrome browser with 6 tabs open to websites.

Went to the Task Manager and checked the specs. I still had 8gb ram free and CPU 5%, GPU < 1%.

I still want a new machine but it seems 32gb ram would be a waste. probably a 11th Gen i5 would be more than enough (they have a higher performance rating than a 4th Gen i7).

King of sapila

I wish I had an 11th Gen i5 desktop with 32GB. I could get away for at least half a decade with it.

Why are you getting a new computer?

I've struggled with that question over the years. Naturally, I want a new computer, but what am I going to do with it? I stuck with a Surface Pro 2 for several years because I couldn't figure out what role I was trying to fill. I bought that one for some mobile computing, but I hadn't done the right kind of mobile in the intervening years. The newer models had significant advantages over the 2, so I liked the idea, I just didn't quite have the use. Once I did have a clear use, I bought a Surface Pro 7, and like JMC, it runs two good monitors with no issue, while running multiple copies of VS2019 and several web browser tabs. It also has only 16 GB, as does my desktop. I am doing nothing that could use 32GB.

On the other hand, if you don't have an SSD drive, then you have a very good reason to upgrade. My last desktop was solely to get an SSD, since my older one was still doing everything I wanted. That performance boost in going from a spinning drive to an SSD is so large it justifies a whole lot.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Why are you getting a new computer?
    Because I want a new toy. lol

I got no real need or justification, nor do I need one. The thought of getting 32gb was only as a possible future need but it seems I still have plenty of ram available for that. The new i7 has a significant performance advantage over the 4th gen i7. I guess the main reason for asking about the graphics card is I was curious if it might speed up my browser. I don't watch movies or do gaming on my pc.

Having the same pc for 6 years feels strange, I've been buying a new pc @ every 3 years for a long time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. For most of our computing lives, the hardware was improving so fast that in any three year period, things got so much faster that you'd see the difference in everything you used it for. That's not the case anymore. My last computer I bought because I wanted an SSD. I think that one was still running a 32-bit OS with 4GB RAM, so I went to 16 on a 64-bit system. I doubt I noticed much of a difference from any of that.

I did end up shelling out the bucks for a MUCH better video card, but that was just to play Red Dead Redemption 2. Prior to that, I didn't notice much of a difference between my old 32-bit and the new 64-bit, except for the dramatic improvement in program load speeds due to the SSD.

I really wanted to upgrade the Surface Pro, too, but I simply couldn't justify it....until I finally found a good enough excuse.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing