Thread: Can someone tell me what the story is here?

Can someone tell me what the story is here?

Can someone tell me about this?

For the time being, I removed the attachment. For any who are too new to remember some of the more entertaining history of this forum, we got burned in the past. We don't allow compiled code (exe, dll, etc) to be included (except in the Utilities forum), and it generally isn't necessary anyways, since the source code is more valuable for this group.

Please removed the compiled code, then go ahead and re-attach it.
    Like, what's the story here? I love hearing about ancient history.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

King of sapila

Re: Can someone tell me what the story is here?

It was before my time but I think a member posted a "test" app and it was a virus.
    Maybe someone older here can explain it better.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

The most significant one was actually a snake game, but included some kind of spyware thing.

The thread: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-Game-RESOLVED

There have been others over the years, but that is the most memorable.

I remember there was an old thread where a guy posted a VB6 program that had something embedded in it that tried to download a file. I wonder if that's the same one. I don't remember that being an EXE attachment though. It was plain old VB6 code.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    The most significant one was actually a snake game, but included some kind of spyware thing.

Oh yea I remember coming across that many years ago. I forgot it. I seem to recall a thread where someone posted a VB6 program that had a call embedded in it that tried to download something from a shady looking website.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I seem to recall a thread where someone posted a VB6 program that had a call embedded in it that tried to download something from a shady looking website.
    I found it! Was from the same dude!

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....22#post1571122

Lol...look at this gem of a comment.

That's not true at all. AI is used in tons of games. And none of the MObs in those games ever learn a damn thing. They are all hard coded to do a certain thing in reaction to their surroundings. With enough permutations it can give the apperance of Intelligence. But there hasn't been a game made that has AI that learns from prior experience.

There are some very high tech experiments going on that are working on this abbility. But it's still in it's infancy.
    This hits a lot different in today's world where we have AlphaStar, AlphaGo, Siri and Alexa.

OMG I wish I was here in these times. Look how freely people were allowed to speak!

How did this site ever become so PC!

King of sapila

I would...And would not, urge you to check the Moti thread. I remember losing hours on my old job at the insurance company reading and replying ( insurance field is crap anyways )
    I won't post a link, something,bad, may happen...

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I would...And would not, urge you to check the Moti thread. I remember losing hours on my old job at the insurance company reading and replying ( insurance field is crap anyways )
    I won't post a link, something,bad, may happen...
    I just spent the last 30 minutes going over those threads lol. It seems I was there. One of those threads were bumped in 2012 when I was already here. I posted in that thread and from there, I found Moti's thread.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I found Moti's thread.
    So, see you in a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post

@si - thanks for that thread link! Haven't seen some of those members post in a real long time. Whatever happened to Mendhak?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

He couldn't mend-hak it?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

How did this site ever become so PC!
    A classic case of the few spoiling it for the many, I'm afraid. Most folks were fine and perhaps a little edgy but there were a few that would push it way to far and threads would often descend into outright bullying. Sadly, to police the undesirables you end up having to put rules in place that cut out the grey areas.

Also, the world's just generally got more PC over the last couple of decades.

I blame it on some dodgy geezer who kept posting pictures of mermaids.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I blame it on some dodgy geezer who kept posting pictures of mermaids.
    lol...

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    So, see you in a couple of days
    Oh. I discovered it back then. 30 days already spent....I just forgot.

It still feels like I got here yesterday but the fact is, I've been here almost 10 years now. I don't remember everywhere I've been on this site.

I believe that the original quote you have in that first post was written by me. If so, I was referring to the snake game that Si linked to. I still remember that one fondly. I certainly wasn't a moderator, back then, but I've always liked Woka's reaction.

I'm not sure who owned the site back in those days. The ownership was looser, to be sure, which probably meant that there was less need to watch your language, because nobody cared. On the other hand, there was an even MORE notorious thread that has long since disappeared. Back in those days, if the OP deleted the initial post in a thread, the whole thread went away. Somebody started a straight up racist thread on immigration, got a LOT of pushback, and after several pages, they deleted the first post and the thread was gone. I think I remember who started that thread, and while they haven't posted in a very long time, they are still registered here. I won't say who, because I'm not certain that I have the right person, and even if I do, they may not want to be associated with those views anymore.

As for Moti, that's one of the saddest cases. He was always joyful, if a bit crazy, but he took a turn into a very dark place. I don't think he has that same joy, anymore.

EDIT: Actually, the thread that I was referring to is NOT the one that Si linked to. The one that I was referring to can be found by going to post #10 in the thread that Si linked to. Woka referenced the right one. The one that Si linked to is relatively tame. The other one is where folks discovered what had been done, and really went off.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Whatever happened to Mendhak?
    I'm not sure of the timing, but it might have been due to one of the times we met up, and he tried to work out how to pronounce the name of the beer I wanted (a local beer called Butcombe)... for a few minutes his head was imploding with embarrasment

@si - got to watch those local beers!

fwiw - Mendhak predicted I would go into the web front-end world when I never could have imagined making that leap.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Sometimes his third eye really could predict the future!