Thread: [RESOLVED] Error accessing the system registry - VB6 on Windows 10 (Win 7 compat)

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error accessing the system registry - VB6 on Windows 10 (Win 7 compat)

VB6 was working just fine on my Windows 10 Pro system with compatibility set to Windows 7 and RunAdmin.

This morning when I started up the IDE I get "Error accessing the system registry" and according to the logs it appears that the issue is with MSComctlLib reference/component.

Looking at the project components I can see that Microsoft Windows Common Controls is not checked. When I check it, again I'll get the error about the registry.

So when I shut it down and change compatibility to Windows XP SP3, it starts up fine and the component is checked as it should be.

Going back to Windows 7 compatibility the error also comes back.

Why would this just happen now? I've been using it with Windows 7 compatibility for several days now without issue until this morning.

Any ideas?

PowerPoster

Re: Error accessing the system registry - VB6 on Windows 10 (Win 7 compat)

You should not need any compatibility set but you do need to set it to run as administrator.
    If you are not using the run as admin option you will get registry errors on start up. XP compat likely checks the run as administrator box as well as who knows how many other things that are not needed.

PowerPoster

There is also that notorious problem with Windows 7 SP 1 that will never be fixed.

In the process of trying to make MS Office 64-bit work, the Office Team played games with a number of VB6 OCXs that were often used by VBA plinkers. Irreversible compatibility breaks galore!

There were a lot of workarounds but most were "ready, FIRE, aim" and made things worse. There was a final hack made available but of course it also has a few issues and was never pushed out through Windows Update because by then Windows 7 was no longer supported.

Windows 8 SP 1 Fire Two got fixed, and all versions of Windows 10 were fixed.

Windows 7 SP 1 immediately became a Typhoid Mary for VB6 development. Once it touches a Project that Project becomes incompatible with the official fix in later versions of Windows. Such VBP's can manually be repaired but you have to understand what happened. People were warned to get off Windows 7, but the advice fell on a lot of deaf ears.

This time bomb is still ticking in shops dragging their feet staying on unsupported Windows 7 for so long. Once they make the inevitable move Windows 7 Disease will flare up again.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    You should not need any compatibility set but you do need to set it to run as administrator.
    If you are not using the run as admin option you will get registry errors on start up. XP compat likely checks the run as administrator box as well as who knows how many other things that are not needed.
    Darn! It was set to Run as Administrator. Somehow the darn thing got unchecked. Works fine now back on Win 7. I'm such a doh doh. Thanks.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    There is also that notorious problem with Windows 7 SP 1 that will never be fixed.

In the process of trying to make MS Office 64-bit work, the Office Team played games with a number of VB6 OCXs that were often used by VBA plinkers. Irreversible compatibility breaks galore!

There were a lot of workarounds but most were "ready, FIRE, aim" and made things worse. There was a final hack made available but of course it also has a few issues and was never pushed out through Windows Update because by then Windows 7 was no longer supported.

Windows 8 SP 1 Fire Two got fixed, and all versions of Windows 10 were fixed.

Windows 7 SP 1 immediately became a Typhoid Mary for VB6 development. Once it touches a Project that Project becomes incompatible with the official fix in later versions of Windows. Such VBP's can manually be repaired but you have to understand what happened. People were warned to get off Windows 7, but the advice fell on a lot of deaf ears.

This time bomb is still ticking in shops dragging their feet staying on unsupported Windows 7 for so long. Once they make the inevitable move Windows 7 Disease will flare up again.
    What would you recommend as the compatibility setting for VB6 on a Win 10 machine?

Frenzied Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Error accessing the system registry - VB6 on Windows 10 (Win 7 compat)

I've turned off compatibility and running it as Windows 10 but with Run as Administrator. It appears now to be working under Windows 10 without compatibility setup to an older version. Weird.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Error accessing the system registry - VB6 on Windows 10 (Win 7 compat)

Quote Originally Posted by webbiz View Post
    I've turned off compatibility and running it as Windows 10 but with Run as Administrator. It appears now to be working under Windows 10 without compatibility setup to an older version. Weird.
    Yep, that is what I would expect. This is nothing new either, was the same under Windows 7 and 8 and I think Vista also.