Thread: Gameboy Color Repair Service

Gameboy Color Repair Service

A side effect of being displaced from Hurricane Ida is that I'm finding a bunch of my childhood toys and my grandfather's house. One of these toys was my old Gameboy Color. When I went to turn it on (with new batteries) it didn't turn on.

My son loves playing my old gameboy games on the Gameboy SP that I still have so I'd love to be able to get the GBC working to pass it on to him.

Do y'all know of any quick things I can try to get it running? If not do y'all have any shop recommendations I can send it to for repair?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: Gameboy Color Repair Service

First - don't switch it on! - although it's probably too late for that advice.

Second - you need to dry it out slowly. IMO the best way to do this is to put it in a bag of un-cooked rice and seal the bag. The rice will draw out all of the moisture. Leave for at least 24 hours.

Then you can try it. I've had this work for mobile phones so it should work for a Gameboy - or other small electrical items.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

To clarify, the Gameboy didn't get wet. I'm staying on my grandfather's property while my home is unlivable and I found the Gameboy in one of his closets. It's just been sitting up here for decade(s) at this point.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Some of the inside electronic boards may be rusted, you will need to open it and take a look in it. it may be a broken component (good luck to find which one) or a broken weld (easier to find)
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

PowerPoster

Aren't there plenty of really cheap knockoffs with better displays that can play the old cartridge games as well as having a large number of "clone" games in built-in flash? A quick search showed lots of them, including models with TV-out as well as a second controller for 2-player games.

I get the point about restoring actual vintage hardware but I doubt paying someone to do it makes sense. What kind of hobby is that? Maybe try a search for articles and videos on restoring these things yourself?