Thread: Is it possible to get an example of how to drag an image from ?

Hyperactive Member

Question Is it possible to get an example of how to drag an image from ?

hi
    Is it possible to get an example of how to drag an image from the scanner to the surface of the model?
    Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0

Re: Is it possible to get an example of how to drag an image from ?

You have to explain in more words what you want to achieve.
    What scanner? Which surface? Which Model?

Hyperactive Member

Microsoft Visual Basic Form 6 !

I don't have a clue what you want to do

Microsoft Visual Basic Form 6 !
    Not helpful. Use more words, not less.

Where is the image that you want to drag located? If it is an image that you scanned using a document scanner, is that image now loaded in some other program? If yes, which program?

Surface of the model? What surface? What model? We needs lots and lots of details.

Hyperactive Member

It seems that you did not understand the question well, focus on the question. I want a programming example

This is your question:
    "How to drag an image from scanner to surface of model?"

If you don't put any effort in explaining what YOU are asking then why should we put any effort in helping you?

Please don't get snide, Mysystem. ("focus on the question."). YOU need to focus on what people are telling you. You have posted an extremely vague situation. You have not explained AT ALL what you want. What a surface is. What model you are talking about. Where is the image? WHAT is the image? A file? Something sitting on some scanner? If you want ANY help at all, you really need to focus on your question yourself.

Ever try to herd cats? Impossible. Same as trying to understand what you are asking--Impossible.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Hyperactive Member

I'm sorry

But I want to know the programming.

Scanner software.

Sinecure devotee

The word "model" is meaningless for VB6.

The word "surface" is meaningless for VB6.

Dragging an image is vague.
    VB6 has image controls and picturebox controls which can hold images and be dragged.

A scanner can scan something and put the scanned image somewhere, usually presented in a software tool associated with the scanner, or a software tool written to work with scanners, or to a file.

VB6 doesn't support a scanner, you would have to write code that accesses the scanner, normally using a library and api provided to support scanning.
    If you have a provided library, and perhaps a control written to use the library, then VB6 could support hosting the control, or accessing the API, to capture a scan in a picturebox for instance, or into a custom control provided by a third party manufacturer.

What scanner are you using?
    What library is provided to access the scanner?
    Where does the image provided by the scanner end up?

There is a standard scanner interface referred to as twain, and perhaps you can interface to your scanner through that interface.
    If you just want some code to slap together to try out, do a net search, like "vb6 image scanner interface".

It would seem you need to first be able to scan the image to somewhere before you need to think about dragging it to somewhere (and where you want to drag to has been described meaninglessly so far).
    Last edited by passel; Sep 16th, 2021 at 04:25 PM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

PowerPoster

Actually we have pretty good support for scanners in VB6. That's why Windows gives us WIA 2.0 in the first place.

Sinecure devotee

But that is a library, not built into VB6 directly, but that could be splitting hairs since most all programming is a matter of interfacing with code in libraries.

Even so, interfacing with a Scanner wasn't clear from the start, and dragging what from where to where is not clear.
    I guess if you have an example of using WIA 2.0 that meets the need of dragging an image to the surface of a model, you should go ahead and post it.
    He didn't actually say he was looking for code to scan an image, but code to drag an image (presumed already scanned?).
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

PowerPoster

Oh, I agree. I suppose as people become more passive consumers globally programming forum sites in their native Elbonian have dried up, driving more people here trying to use machine translation as a stopgap.

I'm not sur Scott Adams could have such a career these days though:

https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Elbonian+Mud

I see the infection has spread to the VB6 side of the forums. Half the threads in the VB.Net section starts with jmcilhinney asking some poor soul to explain his problem better because Google translate is not yet advanced enough to talk proper English or the OP has some phobia that prevents him from writing more than 1 sentence.

This is one of the main reasons I tend to answer a lot more VB6 questions than .Net questions these days. The first half dozen posts in a typical .Net thread is a bunch of us performing gymnastics trying to figure out what the OP wants. In contrast, the VB6 side is comprised mainly of a handful of experienced VB6 developers that are very clear about what they want.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 17th, 2021 at 03:35 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    The first half dozen posts in a typical .Net thread is a bunch of us performing gymnastics trying to figure out what the OP wants. In contrast, the VB6 side is comprised mainly of a handful of experienced VB6 developers that are very clear about what they want.
    Nevermind "us" having at least a firm grasp on general programming techniques and/or the algorithms/process-steps involved (independant of used language)
    The OP "just" wants the "programming" (whatever that is).

To me, this kind of reminds me of the odd student i get in our Skydiving-School:
    Me: "Why do you want to Skydive?"
    Student: "I saw those awesome videos on YouTube....."
    Me. *facepalm*
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Nevermind "us" having at least a firm grasp on general programming techniques and/or the algorithms/process-steps involved (independant of used language)
    This difference between the two sub-forums is very noticeable. The VB6 side most of time has the more interesting questions because of this. It's not that .Net doesn't have skilled membership among it's ranks of adherents but more like it's population is so much more vast that you will naturally get a lot more folks who are just passing through so to speak or folks who are new. Someone asking a question about VB6 is very unlikely to be a new person or someone just looking for some quick and easy intellectual labor.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    This difference between the two sub-forums is very noticeable. The VB6 side most of time has the more interesting questions because of this. It's not that .Net doesn't have skilled membership among it's ranks of adherents but more like it's population is so much more vast that you will naturally get a lot more folks who are just passing through so to speak or folks who are new. Someone asking a question about VB6 is very unlikely to be a new person or someone just looking for some quick and easy intellectual labor.
    Niya, cannot say anything about .NET (and its Forum here).

But i can talk from real-life experience (funny enough: nothing to do with Programming):
    I'm the Logistic-Systems-Department-Manager in the company i work for, so every time there is something with a Logistics-System with a Customer, i drive my colleagues up the wall:
    "If you don't know every single step of the Process involved you stand a snowball's chance in Hell in understanding how it works in the end".

This involves minutiae like "what's the content of the barcode?" "Do you know what happens if such a barcode is scanned twice?" etc.
    Out of a 100 such questions, at least some 75-80% are questions about such small details, to which pretty much every time i ask them, no one knows the answer.
    But then i get: "Why is such a small detail important?"
    Me: " Because it's the small details which make or break the whole system"

What happend in another branch of our company?
    They had an RFID-Box with UMTS-Connection installed at a customer, and always wondered, why the "scans" arrived only once a week when they collected the empty bins from the customer (and scanned them in their warehouse).
    Reason: They had a SIM-Card for 3G, but 3G has been switched off in Germany......

There is a reason, why Aviation and Space-travel have such exhausting Check-Lists in a specific order......
    And a check-list is basically nothing else than an algorithm......

So, a question like "How do i get a scanned picture from A to B?" is proof positive, that the OP has no clue about the single steps involved
    (nevermind to ask himself: How would i do it by hand?)

And with that: This thread has been derailed enough.... :-)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    The OP "just" wants the "programming" (whatever that is).
    I wonder if it's related to "cod" ... but he never mentioned needing cod.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome;[URL="tel:5536576"
    5536576[/URL]]I wonder if it's related to "cod" ... but he never mentioned needing cod.

-tg
    ???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysystem View Post
    I'm sorry

But I want to know the programming.

Scanner software.