Thread: Unable to select multiple controls using CTRL or SHIFT click

Frenzied Member

Unable to select multiple controls using CTRL or SHIFT click

I've tried this on new forms and can't seem to get a LABEL and BUTTON to be selected and copied/pasted.

For example, I have a LABEL and BUTTON on a new form.

Once I have them spaced relative to each other the way I want it, I want to select BOTH and do a copy/paste to add several on the form.

Then I will go into each and change the back code.

But it will not let me select multiple controls! When I select one and then go to select another by holding down CONTROL or SHIFT and then click, it only changes the selection to the one I'm clicking on and removing the other control from selection.

Did I change something in settings I'm not aware of?

THX

VB6 on Windows 10 with Compatibility set to XP SP3.

PowerPoster

Re: Unable to select multiple controls using CTRL or SHIFT click

Quote Originally Posted by webbiz View Post
    ...with Compatibility set to XP SP3.
    What?

I doubt this is your issue, but you really don't want that large set of compatibility fix shims applied to VB6.exe.

I think we have covered the very small set of shims to apply by installing a custom compatibility database entry quite a few times. The only two you really need are the RunAsAdmin shim and the VirtualizeDesktopPainting shim. Others are of dubious value, and many will prevent you from developing using tons of new features added since NT 4.0 and Windows 95.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    What?

I doubt this is your issue, but you really don't want that large set of compatibility fix shims applied to VB6.exe.

I think we have covered the very small set of shims to apply by installing a custom compatibility database entry quite a few times. The only two you really need are the RunAsAdmin shim and the VirtualizeDesktopPainting shim. Others are of dubious value, and many will prevent you from developing using tons of new features added since NT 4.0 and Windows 95.
    I have absolutely no idea what 'shims' are.

When I don't have compatibility set lower, it gives me 'registry' errors or causes a window with nothing more than the min/max/close showing and sized just big enough to show it on another monitor (3 monitor system). Very annoying. It goes away with XP sp3 compat set.

In one of your other threads, you were warned you may have other issues if your installation 'hung'. I think this may be one of those issues. Did you reinstall per guidance in that link I provided?
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    In one of your other threads, you were warned you may have other issues if your installation 'hung'. I think this may be one of those issues. Did you reinstall per guidance in that link I provided?
    Yes and No.

I followed the instructions AFTER I discovered multiple installs. The windows uninstaller, the Revo Uninstaller, and the CCleaner uninstaller provided no VB6 uninstall options. So I had to manually delete all the VB folders (oddly one in C:\ and one in F:\). This must have been a holdover from my OS transfer from old computer to newer mean machine.

And I ran the registry cleaner to hunt down the items related to VB6.

Then I followed those instructions.

However, after what appeared to be a good install, and the multi-control selecting seems to work, I followed the instructions found at https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....Compat-VB6-IDE

Running the SHIMS.zip Install.cmd caused my install to no longer work with multi-control selections so I ran Uninstall.cmd and put it back to working state again.

Lastly, I ran the SP6 and that seems to have gone okay.

NOTE: While the multi-selection now appears to work, on my very fast computer it runs like a dragging butt dog during selections.

PowerPoster

What OS are you using?

Edit:
    Interestingly I just tried on this Win 10 system. What I get is that the controls copy just fine but there is no visual indication that they are selected, no matter if I use ctrl, shift or just drag out a box. If I do any of these then copy and paste I get what I selected but the only time I get a visual indication of selection is when just one control has been selected.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Sep 13th, 2021 at 12:46 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    What OS are you using?
    Windows 10 Pro
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    64gb Memory
    X570 Aorus Ultra MB
    2 x 500gb SSD and 1 x 1TB SSD

PowerPoster

I am using Win10 Pro on a Ryzen 1600. I see no slowdown issues.

Frenzied Member

I am using Win10 Pro on a Ryzen 1600. I see no slowdown issues.
    Then I apparently have an issue with the install. Any suggestions?

What OS are you using?

Edit:
    Interestingly I just tried on this Win 10 system. What I get is that the controls copy just fine but there is no visual indication that they are selected, no matter if I use ctrl, shift or just drag out a box. If I do any of these then copy and paste I get what I selected but the only time I get a visual indication of selection is when just one control has been selected.
    I get a visual cue that a control is selected, but when I select the next one, the previous ones look unselected or get a strange border, but otherwise works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsock View Post
    I get a visual cue that a control is selected, but when I select the next one, the previous ones look unselected or get a strange border, but otherwise works just fine.
    This is a side-effect of using a manifest on the IDE with comctls version 6 referenced.

You'll have to get used to it or drop the IDE manifest altogether.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    This is a side-effect of using a manifest on the IDE with comctls version 6 referenced.

You'll have to get used to it or drop the IDE manifest altogether.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I have not added any manifest. Just a basic Install of VB6 Ent and SP6 and see the same thing when I select controls. Just 1 selected shows as expected, when I select more than one it does not look like anything is selected but it is selecting whatever I tell it to just no visual indication of what is selected. Test project has nothing but a form and a few text boxes, test projects has no added references just those that are added by default when creating a new exe project.

I have not added any manifest. Just a basic Install of VB6 Ent and SP6 and see the same thing when I select controls. Just 1 selected shows as expected, when I select more than one it does not look like anything is selected but it is selecting whatever I tell it to just no visual indication of what is selected. Test project has nothing but a form and a few text boxes, test projects has no added references just those that are added by default when creating a new exe project.
    I never seen this issue outside of manifested IDEs but this could probably be caused by compatibility shims too.

Pretty sure that stock Windows 10 with normal VS6 + SP6 setup and no shortcuts "customizations" does not exhibit the issue.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Well, if ya'll knew me, you'd know that I am simple. I don't use any manifest, nor shims of any kind (too complex for a simple one like me). Using Latest Win10, as I select multiple items in the IDE, each item is 'surrounded' by little squares (told ya I was simple). SOMETIMES they almost immediately disappear and it appears I do not have the multiple items selected, but I do, and other times they all remain 'selected' with the little squares. It's a hit and miss. Strange behavior, but I live with it.

(and as a side note about ohter threads, I still get that warning about some component not found on occasion, even tho I had renamed that dll as it was suggested...again, strange behavior, but I live with it.)

Sammi
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

PowerPoster

I never seen this issue outside of manifested IDEs but this could probably be caused by compatibility shims too.

Pretty sure that stock Windows 10 with normal VS6 + SP6 setup and no shortcuts "customizations" does not exhibit the issue.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    No shims here, just have the shortcut set to run as admin.

Frenzied Member

cheers,
    </wqw>
    It does. I had it set to Win 10 with no compatibility settings (and with) and this issue also shows up on my system as well. It would sometimes work correctly but then when I would do something like start a screen recorder, all of a sudden it would only show one control selected and the others, although also selected, when disappear as you go about selecting the next, and next control. They will all move together, as if selected, but with no visible indication of being selected. Glad to see I'm not the only one that experienced that.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Well, if ya'll knew me, you'd know that I am simple. I don't use any manifest, nor shims of any kind (too complex for a simple one like me). Using Latest Win10, as I select multiple items in the IDE, each item is 'surrounded' by little squares (told ya I was simple). SOMETIMES they almost immediately disappear and it appears I do not have the multiple items selected, but I do, and other times they all remain 'selected' with the little squares. It's a hit and miss. Strange behavior, but I live with it.

(and as a side note about ohter threads, I still get that warning about some component not found on occasion, even tho I had renamed that dll as it was suggested...again, strange behavior, but I live with it.)

Sammi
    Exactly what I experience.

If the issue is real all of you might try using manifested IDEs and greet XP look and feel just only like 20 years later. LOL

PowerPoster

It's no big deal to me, I only noticed it because I was trying to see what the OP was talking about. I do all my VB6 development on a different PC which is running Windows 7.

I have the exact same problem in Windows 10. I have a basic installation following the instructions on a post here, compatibility set to Windows XP Service Pack 3 and VB6 Service Pack 6 installed.
    I can select multiple items and then copy and paste them, but there is no visual cue to indicate they are selected.
    It used to work in Windows 7.
    Interestingly when I minimise VB6, the visual cues of all the multiple selections are left on my desktop. (ie a myriad of dots around the positions of the textboxes). And since I tried it several times, there are dots for each try.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinsys View Post
    compatibility set to Windows XP
    That's really a bad idea, as it typically breaks more than it fixes. I won't provide a link but this has been discussed many times before. Dilettante has provided a "minimum" set of shims for installing with the VB6 IDE that fix a few things and don't break anything.

And just for the uninitiated, these "compatibility settings" are just "groups of shims" applied to something that executes. Yeah, you have to install the Microsoft Windows Compatibility kit and also learn about "shims" to do it correctly, but it's worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinsys View Post
    there is no visual cue to indicate they are selected.

the visual cues of all the multiple selections are left on my desktop. (ie a myriad of dots around the positions of the textboxes).
    This is something we've all learned to work with. I run my IDE in SDI mode, and I did write an add-in (in the codebank) that fixes this problem. But, for one, it doesn't work in MDI mode (which most of you seem to use), and also, even though it works, I was never happy with it, and don't use it myself. After a short time, you just learn to deal with the "gone" IDE selection box. And, for the corner handles on the desktop, just ignore them. None of that seems to present any serious problems, and we do with what we've got (since Microsoft quit supporting the VB6 IDE a few generations of Windows back).
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.