Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Continuing on trying to update an old VB6 app using VB6 on a Windows 10 computer.

    During my modifications where I am allowing the user to set the picturebox background from white to black, I noticed that my custom mouse cursors do not show up.

    I quickly realize that this is because they were originally created as black images, so while they show on a white background they won't on a black background.

    Therefore, I need to add some new custom mouse cursors that are white for when the background is black.

    In trying to remember how I created those darn custom mouse cursors to begin with (its been so so so many years ago), I found that my custom cursors exist in a resource file (somewhere) because of code like this:

    frmChart.pctChart.MousePointer = vbCustom
    frmChart.pctChart.MouseIcon = LoadResPicture(114, vbResCursor)

    Searching on the net, I found that I need to run the Resource Editor found under the Add-Ins.

    Unfortunately, I do not see anything listed for that as shown in the image below.

    Name:  2021-09-11_15-52-52.gif
Views: 195
Size:  7.9 KB

    I ran VB6 as administrator just in case but no difference.

    Any suggestions? thx

  2. #2
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    283

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    I have:
    Tools -> Resource Editor

  3. #3
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    That list looks pretty messed up. I would guess that there is a problem with your VB install.
    Should look more like this
    Name:  dialog.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  53.8 KB

  4. #4
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    I have:
    Tools -> Resource Editor
    It will show up under tools if it is loaded from the addin dialog or set to load on startup but if not loaded it will not be on the tools menu.

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    I have:
    Tools -> Resource Editor
    Attachment 182307

    It's not under TOOLS with my install.

  6. #6
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    673

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Looks like you you might have installed enterprise SP6 in combination with VS professional edition? That problem was hard to get rid of. If so, uninstall VS, then try reinstalling it with a matching service pack might work. I remember giving up and reinstalling Windows to clear it up though. Yes, your VB installation is wrecked.

  7. #7
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,825

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Service packs are for all editions, there were never separate SPs for different editions.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    55

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    I agree with Dilettante and DataMiser, I recommend a complete removing and reinstalling VB 6.0.

  9. #9
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    I have had that with an installation on Win10 but not ever with Win 7 if that helps at all...
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

  10. #10

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by TTn View Post
    Looks like you you might have installed enterprise SP6 in combination with VS professional edition? That problem was hard to get rid of. If so, uninstall VS, then try reinstalling it with a matching service pack might work. I remember giving up and reinstalling Windows to clear it up though. Yes, your VB installation is wrecked.
    This may well be the problem or part of the problem.

    I did a reinstall last night and noticed it was a ISO image of the Enterprise version. My actual disk set from ages ago is the Professional version. I may have had the problem you described. The Enterprise version stopped installing midway (Not Responding) and had to be aborted. However, when I ran VB6 following the aborted install, Resource Editor now works! Whaaa??? It appears to have corrected the issue during the partial install. Go figure.

    Anyway, I now have access to the resources and cursors within, and was also able to add more to it.

    Thanks!

  11. #11
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Yeah it definitely was not a missmatch on the SP. The services packs are a one size fits all so no matter if you have the pro or ent version the service pack is the same.

    I would say that it never was properly installed on your system and still isn't if it hung up on you. You may find other things that are still not working properly.

  12. #12
    PowerPoster SamOscarBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    8,018

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    As DataMiser says, you may experience other issues. Also, SP6 might NOT install if your VS install 'hung'.

    If you can't install SP6, OR if you have other major issues, do a fresh install and follow the guidance found in this thread:

    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....vb6+windows+10
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

  13. #13

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    As DataMiser says, you may experience other issues. Also, SP6 might NOT install if your VS install 'hung'.

    If you can't install SP6, OR if you have other major issues, do a fresh install and follow the guidance found in this thread:

    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....vb6+windows+10
    Thanks. Will do!

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    27

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    I have the same problem as you described
    Copy the following code and save it as *.vbs

    Code:
    With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
       Dim DLLPath: DLLPath = .GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName) & "\Resedit.dll"
       Dim RegSvr:  RegSvr  = .GetSpecialFolder(0).Path & "\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" 
       If Not .FileExists(DLLPath) Then MsgBox "Couldn't find Resedit.dll in:" & vbLF & .GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName): WScript.Quit
       If Not .FileExists(RegSvr)  Then RegSvr = .GetSpecialFolder(0).Path & "\System32\regsvr32.exe"  
       CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute """" & RegSvr & """", """" & DLLPath & """", "", "runas", 1
    End With
    Then copy it to the following path and re-register it
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards

  15. #15

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by PhuongNam View Post
    I have the same problem as you described
    Copy the following code and save it as *.vbs

    Code:
    With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
       Dim DLLPath: DLLPath = .GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName) & "\Resedit.dll"
       Dim RegSvr:  RegSvr  = .GetSpecialFolder(0).Path & "\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" 
       If Not .FileExists(DLLPath) Then MsgBox "Couldn't find Resedit.dll in:" & vbLF & .GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName): WScript.Quit
       If Not .FileExists(RegSvr)  Then RegSvr = .GetSpecialFolder(0).Path & "\System32\regsvr32.exe"  
       CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute """" & RegSvr & """", """" & DLLPath & """", "", "runas", 1
    End With
    Then copy it to the following path and re-register it
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards
    Hello.

    Two questions:

    What if that path does not already exist? Do I create it? The ONLY path that comes close on my machine is F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98. No 'Wizards' subfolder.

    And... How do you register this? This is new to me (like many other things new to old noobs). :-)

    Thanks.

  16. #16
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    If you do not have the wizards sub folder then that indicates either you did a custom install and excluded the wizards or your install did not go so well or you are using one of the trimmed down pirated versions that do not include everything.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    27

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by webbiz View Post
    Hello.

    Two questions:

    What if that path does not already exist? Do I create it? The ONLY path that comes close on my machine is F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98. No 'Wizards' subfolder.

    And... How do you register this? This is new to me (like many other things new to old noobs). :-)

    Thanks.
    I use Windows10_x64 bit ... you can see the picture it's a Folder with the file RESEDIT.DLL

    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  46.5 KB

  18. #18

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by PhuongNam View Post
    I use Windows10_x64 bit ... you can see the picture it's a Folder with the file RESEDIT.DLL

    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  46.5 KB
    On my system it was under c:\Visual Basic 6\Wizards. Yes, custom path during install.

    So how do you "re-register" it as per your instructions?

    And is there any changes to the code you provided because of my path being different?

  19. #19
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    You should not need to manually register anything. The VB Installer handles all of that for you. If you need to resort to manual means then that means there were issues with you install and there could be potentially numerous other issues.

  20. #20

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    220

    Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Resource Editor Missing from Add-Ons

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    You should not need to manually register anything. The VB Installer handles all of that for you. If you need to resort to manual means then that means there were issues with you install and there could be potentially numerous other issues.
    I'm just going by his instructions. He provided some code and said to 'register' it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width