Thread: [RESOLVED] It's ok if you know

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] It's ok if you know

I have been writing by code for a long time, and with the help of this forum have manges to achieve what I want. However looking at some of my older code, it now strikes me that it some what in efficient and could be simplified. This is not because the methods and functions used in writing the code did not exist, but simply because I did not know about them.

Today, reading another post I have discovered the queue function. This is something that could be very useful. I have known about the list function for a while, but not originally. It's only through a gradual process of trying to develop code and reading this forum have I found out about them.

Is there any documentation or free on line training course that shows or explains the more complex items that are available, as I am sure there's lots of other useful features that I am not aware of. I have already done the simple course !

Re: It's ok if you know

They are not functions. Queue(Of T) and List(Of T) are classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
    Is there any documentation
    There is THE documentation. Microsoft has documented the entire .NET Framework and other APIs available. We all learn new stuff as we go and get more experienced but one of the reasons that I always bang about reading the documentation is that you will see things that you don't already know about and may be able to use later. If you had read the documentation page for the System.Collections.Generic namespace, of which List(Of T) is a member, then you'd have seen classes like Queue(Of T), Stack(Of T), HashSet(Of T), etc, and then you would be able to use them in situations for which they are appropriate.

Hyperactive Member

Ok, accepted the they are classes. My error.

I think you have answered the question, that there is no single course etc. It's a case of learning as you go along, which is what I am doing. I am more than happy (and will be doing) to read about System.Collections.Generic namespace and would have done previously, if only I knew it existed. - this is an example not a specific, so please do not say I should have known it existed from using other classes it contains !!!!!

Off to read some more documentation, albeit I don't find the Microsoft stuff very easy to understand.

Sinecure devotee

There are plenty of books, but when I was first starting out learning .Net, I just did a search for Tutorials. There are a number of them on-line as well.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Re: [RESOLVED] It's ok if you know

Quote Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
    Is there any documentation or free on line training course that shows or explains the more complex items that are available, as I am sure there's lots of other useful features that I am not aware of. I have already done the simple course !
    No, and there never will be. It is relatively easy to write introductory books that cover the basics. Once you get beyond that, the potential topics expands at a hyper-exponential rate. Entire (very large) books can be written on single topics, such as TCP, threading, and so on. Having one book to cover all that would be impossible. Having a library to cover that would be nearly useless, as searching the library would be a chore in itself.

Therefore we have the internet.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    There are plenty of books, but when I was first starting out learning .Net, I just did a search for Tutorials. There are a number of them on-line as well.
    I jumped right into .Net directly using my knowledge of VB6 to be able to write code immediately in VB.Net. From there I just used the online MSDN documentation and Google to discover what was in the Framework and what the best practices were. I still remember the very first new thing I did when I first touched VB.Net. I wrote some multi-threaded code because I was so thirsty for this in VB6 which doesn't have a competent way of doing it. From there I discovered Lists and Collections, the new syntax features like single line declaration and initialization. I learned LINQ on these very forums from reading jmcilhinney's posts. Somewhere between all of this, I also learned about all the improvements made to classes that didn't exist in VB6 like inheritance, method overloading, protected methods etc. I just kept going and going. I still learn new things to this day.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber