Thread: ASP and Hard Wired Cable Modems

Fanatic Member

ASP and Hard Wired Cable Modems

DO cable modems process ASP internally, or do they first make a call to the server, and the server is the one actually responding?

For example:

1) when I enter 192.168.100.1 when the modem is UP, I am able to get a Modem Status page. However when the internet is down, I get nothing.
    2) This particular modem also has multiple menu pages.
    Yesterday, I can able to access the log page. After identifying various log issues and sending them off to the cable company, the Log Menu choice is still availabe, but nothing comes up in the browser when this menu choice is selected.
    If their server is controlling, and hence someone has toggled off that page -- so it is no longer presented to users --, getting nothing makes sense, otherwise ??

Re: ASP and Hard Wired Cable Modems

It's built into the modem itself. Even when the internet is down, as long as I have power, I can still get to the admin page of my modem/router. Same with the logs... unless I purge them when I collect them (which is like never) they will still be there the next time I go to the logs page. However... I use my own router, I don't use the router supplied by the ISP. I use their modem because I have to (I'm on fiber) but I have it (the modem) as a pass-through, so it takes the request and passes it through to my router. So it gives me all the control I need. It was the same when I was on a cable modem. I didn't like their combined router/modem junk, so I bought and installed my own modem, and my own router. Of course then I ran into problems when I went to cancel the account, they wanted their equipment back, which I didn't have, because I'd been running my own modem - I ended up having to bring it in to show them the MAC address matched what they had in their system, and that it was CLEARLY not one of theirs.

In short, the bottom line, yes, the modem should be processing things locally and internally, it shouldn't be relying on a connection or server outside of itself.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

techgnome: Thanks for responding.

Your response confirms what I thought, but is NOT what I am seeing on COX using an Arris modem. Whether the ISP has the ability to override the modem (mine) is unknown. The DOCSIS specs seem to imply the ISP can do whatever they want.

PowerPoster

Cable modems often have a number of things that can vary in their admin pages. They can vary by state (active connection or not), option settings that show/hide sub-pages, or provider configuration.

For example, mine tends to hide the "reboot" button if there is an active connection. That can be a little annoying.

While some of them five a .asp extension to pages it doesn't mean it is actually using ASP. They don't run Windows and IIS. Back in the day it just was less confusing to users than .cgi but these days most people are used to all kinds of random crap, .php for example.

A lot cable cable modem firmware has roots going back to when hardly any non-pros had a clue what the web was and still dialed in to AOL if they had something better than a C64 or some Brit knockoff of the Apple II.

Fanatic Member

dilettante: Thanks for responding.

My modem from 192.168.100.1 has 6 (SSTAB) menu choices. THese are:
    Status | Product Info | Event Log | Addresses | Configuration | Help

What's got me wondering is:

1) On Monday I could get into all of them. In the event log I had a bunch of CRITICAL log errors as service was being periodically interrupted. I call COX and I assume got a first line tech who went through their standard troubleshooting list but problems persisted. Upstream was at 41.8.
    2) ON Tuesday I again could get into all of them. This time I had 3 warnings and the Upstream was at 33. This time used COX chat in the hopes of getting a higher level tech. It was obvious I got the same low level tech and they were following the same verbal script. Sent them a png file and asked them to send it to a higher level which they indicated they would do.
    3) On Wednesday (today). COX was completely down. Had one of my neighbors who uses a different ISP checked and they indicated per COX it was a multi-state outage. They were down from about 4:00am (my first attempt to logon to noon).
    During the down period in an attempt to use 192.168.100.1, I got nothing.
    Once COX came back up I could get to the modem menu, but only Status and Help worked. When attempting access to other menus, it was trying to call an ASP file
    (e.g. 192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp) but nothing came up. All other menu choices, with other asp calls also did Not bring anything up.

From the above, it appears COX is in control and the asp scripts are executing from their server, not in my modem, even though 192.168.100.1 belongs to the modem
    Last edited by vb6forever; Sep 8th, 2021 at 10:57 PM.

Have you tried unplugging the cable from the Cox connection to the modem/router and then rebooting it? Can you get into the setup then?

Fanatic Member

jdc2000 thanks for responding.

Have you tried unplugging the cable from the Cox connection to the modem/router and then rebooting it? Can you get into the setup then?
    Multiple Times.
    FWIW, I did get events to come up last night after accessing the modem, clicking events, and then checking the browser page for a return about every 5 minutes. Around the 20 minute mark the event log presented itself. Whether via COX or internally generated is unknown.