Thread: Error Accessing system registry

Fanatic Member

Error Accessing system registry

Hi

When i open Visual Basic Project i get Error Accessing System Registry. I am using Windows 10

Thanks

Re: Error Accessing system registry

An application needs to be executed as an administrator in order to access the registry in any Windows version after Windows 7.

EDIT:

Or are you talking about opening a VB project in the VB6 IDE?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

The process must run elevated to access secured items in the registry, not merely by a user in the Administrators group. People used to make their accounts members of Administrators or Power Users. Then they'd whine that Windows was "insecure." That doesn't cut it anymore.

UAC began in Windows Vista, not Windows 7. This also saw the end of the old Power Users group.

Fanatic Member

Hi

When i try to open VBP file . Sometimes i get error "Method of object failed".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The process must run elevated to access secured items in the registry, not merely by a user in the Administrators group.
    Running as Administrator does elevate the process. I mean the Run as administrator from the context menu.

UAC began in Windows Vista, not Windows 7. This also saw the end of the old Power Users group.
    My applications never had trouble accessing the registry as a plain old administrator until Windows 8. Then again, it is a common practice of ours to just disable the UAC after every Windows install. This worked fine until Windows 8 for accessing the registry.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    ... it is a common practice of ours to just disable the UAC after every Windows install.
    I'm sorry but, in this day and age, that's just dumb.
    Do you turn of the Virus Checker and the Firewall while you're at it?

How much grief does your Service Desk get because you still allow your Users to do dumb things to "their" machines?

As Niya said, UAC has been around for well over a decade now - get with the programme.

Regards, Phill W.

When i try to open VBP file . Sometimes i get error "Method of object failed".
    Is it an ERROR that requires you to get out of VB6, or just a Warning Error which you can bypass?

This happens to me as well on occasion...I simply ignore the Warning. I believe this issue has been raised before on this Forum (I just forgot what the responses were to it.)

And after reading the posts on this thread, I, for one, do not know how to 'run'/'open' a vbp file 'As Administrator'---right mouse does not give that option.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Find the location of VB6.exe
    Right click VB6.exe, choose "properties"
    Go to the "Compatibility" tab, make sure the option "Run this program as an administrator" is checked.
    Choose "Apply"

Mine is (I guess I had done this from same advice a long time ago), but, on occasion, when opening a project by double-clicking a .vbp file, I WILL get that warning.

When I run VB6 and open a project, I do not get the warning. (I run my VB6 from a desktop icon that 'runs VB6 as Administrator'.)
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Fanatic Member

The only time I ever saw the "Method of object failed" error was when having the CodeHelp addin start with VB. I personally found CodeHelp a bit flaky and stopped using it. No more error!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    My applications never had trouble accessing the registry as a plain old administrator until Windows 8. Then again, it is a common practice of ours to just disable the UAC after every Windows install. This worked fine until Windows 8 for accessing the registry.
    There is so much wrong there it is hard to know where to begin.
    Last edited by dilettante; Sep 8th, 2021 at 08:21 PM.

There is so much wrong there it is hard to know where to begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill.W View Post
    I'm sorry but, in this day and age, that's just dumb.
    Do you turn of the Virus Checker and the Firewall while you're at it?
    I always disable UAC for my own personal PC and sometimes I do disable the Firewall and Windows Defender. I do not enjoy restrictions of any kind on my PC.

When it comes to clients, we disable UAC as well for them. It caused way too many phone calls and headaches. Though these machines belong to our clients, we have full administrative control and everything on them is what we decide. I have been involved in these practices for as long as UAC has been around and it has never caused a problem.

The only serious problem we ever had to face was a spate of ransomware hitting a few of our clients. And guess what.....Enabling the UAC didn't stop that from happening. We eventually found out that somebody or a group of somebodies were exploiting Remote Desktop so we stopped using it for Remote Administration without a secured VPN and that solved it. I'm even writing my own remote administration software and it's own home grown TCP/IP protocols to suit our needs specifically.

I'm not looking to start a fire here and this is only my personal opinion but I find the UAC system extremely annoying and counterproductive. I really don't like it.

EDIT:

Oh yea, and on my personal PC, I also do that thing in the local security policies where everything runs as administrator and you are allowed to save files directly to the root of your C drive. Some of you might think I'm crazy but I'm used to having complete freedom to do whatever I want when I want on my own computer since DOS in the 90s. I'm certainly not willing to get used to being asked for permission to do every damn thing on my own computer!

I'm the only one that uses my PC and I am extremely disciplined when it comes to what software I install on it. These are habits I developed in the 90s when we had real viruses like Natus. I know how to protect my computer. I don't need the help of annoying anti-virus software or the UAC to tell me how to do this.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 9th, 2021 at 07:59 AM.