Thread: [RESOLVED] The previous system shutdown ... was unexpected

Resolved [RESOLVED] The previous system shutdown ... was unexpected

Hi. Has anyone had experience getting and solving the error in my title? My laptop has been randomly quitting and I have to log in again and start up all my apps again.
    Somtimes this is few and far between.
    This morning it happened at 10:53 then again at 11:03.
    It is hard to get any work done with my entire system shutting down, which shuts down all the apps I have open in order to develop code.
    There's a lot on the Internet but I thought I'd go here to have a dialog, if anyone can help.
    Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: The previous system shutdown ... was unexpected

Do you get a blue screen error when it shuts down? If yes, you can try NirSoft's BlueScreenView to get details. Also, check event Viewer for any potential issues. If it just crashes, that will be hard to diagnose. Check for recently installed Microsoft "updates".

Hi, TY. I do not get a blue screen. I get a blank screen of nothingness. The computer is shut off as if I powered down.
    I will keep looking around.
    Sadly, I was just away on lunch for 45 minutes and nothing happened. That could've been 45 minutes I was working uninterrupted, LOL!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

How to Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

You want to ENABLE the auto restart. Then when you crash you'll get a BSOD which will have tons of info to help.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Yes, my settings look exactly like step #4 of option 1 in that link. Yet no BSOD appears. No auto restart happens either. It's like the OS is too dead to initiate anything on its own. I need to press the power button to turn it on.

Additionally, I looked in my event log to see exactly when I first started getting the "shutdown was unexpected" message and it was 8/17/21. I don't know if that would help me to narrow down what happened to cause it.

Is the laptop using the AC adapter to supply power when this happens, or is it on battery only? Even if it is on the AC adapter, it could still be a power failure issue. One way to test this is to boor from a live Linux disc or USB drive and let the computer run to see if it still powers off.

Yes, AC adapter and we have tried a newer one to rule out that it was that. I'll see if I can try your other suggestion, thank you!

you can use also the application HWMonitor to see if you have any problem in the hardware. it will check the temperature, the battery, etc. it may be a problem of cooling of the CPU.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Is your laptop not overheating?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Have to ask - are you having Thunder Storms and or power flashes through out the whole house?

Or is the laptop plugged into a wall socket with a large appliance like a refrigerator?

I've seen similar behaviour before. The laptop kept getting 'switched off' (as opposed to a shutdown) just like the power button was pressed for a few seconds - even though an AC adapter was being used. A hardware engineer diagnosed the problem to a fault in the battery charging/monitoring circuits. The OS thought that everything was OK but the battery was being drained - even on AC adapter. She replaced something and then everything worked OK.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

If it isn't a power problem and it may be that, and it isn't an overheating issue then it could be a component failure. You may have a component that is causing a short or conversely a break in a line that causes a power failure.

If it was happening to me, I would:

1. Change the battery but if you cannot then try running without the battery but just on AC power. Most laptops will allow that. Some won't.
    2. Install OHM open hardware monitor and watch the temperatures. I have a gauge open on my desktop to allow continuous monitoring.
    - see when it fails and whether there is a correlation. If so then clean the fan and remove dust build up on the radiator, check fan connectors.

3. When you use the laptop do NOT pick it up and walk around with it. Laptop users tend to pick up a laptop at a corner and it flexes and stresses component solder joints across the motherboard. This happens.

If you are a laptop user expect if to fail early in its life if you regularly fail to pick it up by both hands supporting both sides. Better still, take a rectangle of wood or other solid substance, PV sheet &c, preferably with holes in for ventilation and always use that to always support the laptop when on your lap. Most consumer grade laptops are plastic-shelled and are not rigid enough to take the continuous flexing of normal use for long. My own Dell E6410 has 10mm of veneered plywood, drilled and with spacers that I use to support it when carrying with the lid open and when on my lap. A well-built cooling pad will do just as well.

It is most likely that one of your components, due to continuous mobo flexing, probably a diode bridge, has a faulty solder connection and that as the machine warms the track gap opens and the air gap is enough to break a main power rail circuit to the CPU and the laptop shuts down immediately.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

What I have described above (3) has happened to me regularly. You'll find methods of resolving this, most of them will be temporary fixes but they can also help diagnose. I have a small combination oven (broken microwave) that I use to heat mobos that are exhibiting similar faults. Typically GPUs that are failing and also laptop mobos. I put them in the oven at 250 degrees C for 3-5 mins and see if the fault appears to be cured by running the machine and seeing if the machine then operates for a longer period than previously.

This heat is supposed to reflow cracked solder joints and helps re-solder blobs on the underside of chips to reattach temporarily.

Obviously the mobo needs to be removed...

You can use this method to diagnose a board with solder joint failures. It will also fix the board temporarily but it will fail again if it is a cpu/gpu chip soldered directly to the mobo. Each subsequent reheat will fix the problem but for a shorter period each time.

Too much heat will cause your components to swim so look to the net to see others that have successfully done the same for your mobo and follow their instructions.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

My laptop is under warranty with Dell so they are going to take a look at it. If I determine what they did, I will post that back as a solution. The support I've gotten from my in-house people indicates a battery that isn't holding its charge. They don't believe it's an overheating issue. Thank you for the discussion and I hope I didn't waste too much of anyone's time!

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    My laptop is under warranty with Dell
    I wish you had said that in the first place... That would have saved a lot of time.

Please read a guide on how to raise a good bug report and do what it says from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I wish you had said that in the first place... That would have saved a lot of time.

Please read a guide on how to raise a good bug report and do what it says from now on.
    I did not know about the warranty until my supervisor said so. I would have kept going troubleshooting because that's how I am, but he said stop because they would get me a temporary loaner and get the original looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post

Why don't you show us an example of the bug report you talk about.

To anyone who is interested in the outcome of this problem, Dell took a look at it and discovered there was water damage. I do not remember ever spilling water on my PC but I will certainly remember that if it happens in the future, address it immediately, and from now on only code while sober in case it only looked like water but was actually Riesling.

Thanks for your time.