Thread: Save on Access Database trough vb.net

Save on Access Database trough vb.net

Hello everyone.
    Creating a software in vb.net and connecting it to Access, through the wizard, there is a problem: the setup, when I bring it to another PC, looks for the database in the path where I created it on my PC. In most cases, all paths pass through my user, therefore being unrepeatable on other PCs. This forces me to create the database in the C: \ drive, which is common to all PCs. To avoid this, and to make it much easier to use, is there a way that wherever the database is, the software always goes to place the data there? Thanks in advance

Re: Save on Access Database trough vb.net

The database should probably be installed to the user AppData folder. You will need to have your installer do this, and then you can set your application to look for the database there.

Possible useful link:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....path-in-VB-NET

yes but if I move the DB from the folder AppData it didn't work...

Post your code where you are using the path and file name for the database.

PowerPoster

Let's be clear.

Do you have control of the location of the database? Or, do you want the operator to be able to chose a database from anywhere on their PC?

Unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, put the database in the same folder as the application and then use "|DataDirectory|" in the connection string as the folder path. That will automatically resolve to path of the folder the current EXE was run from at run time.

put the database in the same folder as the application and then use "|DataDirectory|" in the connection string as the folder path.
    Hello and thank for your answers, for connect the software to the database, I use the section "data source" trough the wizard. How can I do to do what you say?

I told you what to do. What is stopping you setting the connection string as I told you?

sorry for the ignorance but i haven't used vb.net for a long time and i don't know exactly how to set the connection string. Could you tell me where to set it? Thank you

PowerPoster

When you created the datasource, you would have been prompted asking if you wanted to save the connection string to the application config file. If you said yes then you can modify the datasource connection string by going to the project properties, select settings, then make the modification.

So to make sure that the software always connects to the DB in its same position, what should I enter here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It seems like you're not prepared to make any effort at all to understand how connection strings work. That is already doing exactly what I said to do, i.e. it is using "|DataDirectory|" as the folder path. That gets replaced by the data directory path at run time. For a WinForms app not deployed using ClickOnce, that data directory path will be the folder that the EXE was run from, no matter where that is. That's what I already told you. Is the database in that folder or not? If not, why didn't you mention that when I brought this up in post #6? If it is then what you have should work as is so, if it's not, you're doing something to break it, so you need to provide all the relevant information so that we can work out what you've done wrong.