Thread: [RESOLVED] Region troubles

Resolved [RESOLVED] Region troubles

I have arrays of points that i'm using to create polygonal regions on panels. This works, but the polygon is narrowed slightly...

Code:
    Dim gp As New Drawing2D.GraphicsPath
    gp.AddPolygon(ShipPoints(arrayIndex))
    Me.Region = New Region(gp)
    To compensate for that, i'm trying to widen the graphicspath...

Code:
    gp.Widen(p1px)
    My panels effectively disappear. All i see is an outline where a solid polygon shape should be.
    Can anyone help solve this problem?

Re: Region troubles

The GraphicsPath.Widen(pen) method does indeed create an outline, not a "solid" shape. For example, if your graphics path shape is a circle, the Widen function will convert the path into a hollow ring. The Pen argument determines the thickness of the ring. It also opens up a lot of possibilities (such as dashed lines, arrow heads etc.) but it's not much use for creating a circular Region. The Region corresponds to the Fill area, which in this case would be the hollow ring itself.

Instead, use the original path to widen the Region. Among other ways you could stretch, translate or rotate the shape using GraphicsPath.Transform(Matrix) in a similar way to Graphics.Transform.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by boops boops View Post
    The GraphicsPath.Widen(pen) method does indeed create an outline, not a "solid" shape. For example, if your graphics path shape is a circle, the Widen function will convert the path into a hollow ring. The Pen argument determines the thickness of the ring. It also opens up a lot of possibilities (such as dashed lines, arrow heads etc.) but it's not much use for creating a circular Region. The Region corresponds to the Fill area, which in this case would be the hollow ring itself.

Instead, use the original path to widen the Region. Among other ways you could stretch, translate or rotate the shape using GraphicsPath.Transform(Matrix) in a similar way to Graphics.Transform.

BB
    I found a workaround. It’s a hack, but it works…

Code:
    gp.Widen(p1px)
    ‘ add the original polygon again

Good idea. It results in a dilation of the original shape (opposite to erosion). That's not quite the same as widening by scaling, but there's nothing hacky about it if it's the effect you want. BB