Thread: [RESOLVED] This old dog needs to learn new tricks

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] This old dog needs to learn new tricks

I currently do a lot of Excel 2010 development in Windows XP as a virtual machine hosted by Parallels Desktop for Mac. I'd like to upgrade to something more modern but I don't know what the best choice would be. I looked at Excel for Mac but that's a non-starter because from what I've read it seems that it doesn't fully support VBA. What are my other choices and what if anything would I lose with changing to one of them?

Re: This old dog needs to learn new tricks

What about a Windows 10 VM with Office 2019 for your Mac?

PowerPoster

Re: This old dog needs to learn new tricks

optionally just get a win 10 box or laptop
    min 8gb ram and ssd, but other than that can be pretty low end (i3, onboard video and small disk space) for excel, you can move your existing office 2010 to the new machine

bit late to move to win10 with win 11 around the corner, but none of mine are supposedly compatible for win11, so i will be stuck with win10 for quite some time
    my machine for forum posts has office 2010, but most of my other win 10 work machines still use office 2003 (which i prefer)
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete