Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 321 to 360 of 387

Thread: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

  1. #321
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,716

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Seems people are complaining about using {} for block definition.

    Is that the case?

    And would that mean those same people are suggesting that IF / THEN / END IF is a better block definition?
    I personally prefer curly braces. Because they're not words they're more visually impactful and make the code blocks stand out a little better for me. It's a pretty trivial distinction, though, and, yeah, not a great basis for making a language decision on.

    I'm currently working on a project that's written half in VB.Net and half in C# with a TSQL backend. I'm becoming completely schizophrenic and it takes me six attempts to rem out a line of code.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  2. #322
    Angel of Code Niya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,487

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    You are deliberately changing your arguments.
    To be honest, I stopped taking him seriously when I realized he worked with the GB2312 codepage for 25 years without knowing a thing about it, yet I was able to learn more about it than him in a few hours. He is not really a programmer in my opinion. He knows how to write code sure, but he is not a real programmer. He just dabbles in it. It's a side thing for him. Just look at his post history and see the kinds of questions he asks. It's really noob stuff. I wouldn't bother debating with him.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

    Copy/move files using Windows Shell

    C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

    There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

    The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

  3. #323
    Angel of Code Niya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,487

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I personally prefer curly braces. Because they're not words they're more visually impactful and make the code blocks stand out a little better for me.
    This is my opinion too. I've often said that when I want to figure out how to do something in .Net, I look for C# code, not VB. C# is just far easier to read in my opinion, mainly because it's very easy to make out code blocks like For loops and If....Then blocks.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

    Copy/move files using Windows Shell

    C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

    There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

    The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

  4. #324
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    To be honest, I stopped taking him seriously when I realized he worked with the GB2312 codepage for 25 years without knowing a thing about it, yet I was able to learn more about it than him in a few hours. He is not really a programmer in my opinion. He knows how to write code sure, but he is not a real programmer. He just dabbles in it. It's a side thing for him. Just look at his post history and see the kinds of questions he asks. It's really noob stuff. I wouldn't bother debating with him.
    Glad you finally realized this. In this way, we won't waste time anymore, will we?

    You know why I want to end the debate with you as soon as possible. Because, in the next step, you will start to explain to me what is binary and what is hexadecimal, right?

    Do you seem to want to prove that you are not a primary school student by reciting the 20 digits after the decimal point of π?

  5. #325
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    You are deliberately changing your arguments. You originally asked for examples of complex software written in .Net, I simply suggested SharpDevelop because it is a fairly complex piece of software written in .Net, at no point did I claim it was a rival IDE to VB6. I wasn't claiming it was still a valid contender or a replacement as you now seem to be pretending the original argument was. Even if that was an issue, SharpDevelop development ceased 5 years ago - that still gives it about 8 years on VB6 which ceased support in 2008 and effectively ceased being actively developed in 1998, so does that mean VB6 is even worse by your definition?

    I have no interest in writing an IDE, never claimed I did, just used it as an example of a complex piece of software, like you originally requested.

    The reason I claimed VB6-IDE was simple is to prove I can also make completely baseless claims about the complexity of software without any justification, just like you did. You have still completely failed to rationalise your claims that the VB6 IDE is more complex, you have provided no justification for how a single language IDE is less complex than a multi-language IDE.

    I used to use VB6 and in the 1990s it was a really good IDE, it has however aged badly in the 23 years since it was originally released. your original challenge wasn't to find software written in .Net that "interested you", "could replace VB6", "better than VS Code", it was to show complex software can be written in .Net - you have not done anything to prove factually that SharpDevelop isn't complex but have constantly shifted your argument.

    If you could simply tell me what features VB6 IDE has that make it complex and why SharpDevelop isn't as complex when it offers very similar features then I would honestly believe you are making a serious comparison. If you insist on pretending your original argument was about a replacement for VB6, or when development stopped, or your own personal interest in the software, then it is obvious you never intended to play fair and actually consider the software that was suggested.
    My argument has never changed. It's just that you deliberately misinterpreted my meaning.

    My point is: Compared with VB6, .NET does not have any obvious advantages in developing desktop software.

    If you want to refute my point, then you only need to list some complex (and well-known) desktop software developed with .NET, and these software is difficult or even impossible to develop with VB6. Then it can be proved that .NET is better than VB6.

    But everyone has different opinions on what is the standard for complex software. So, I listed some software that I think are complicated. VSCode and VB6-IDE are what I think are complicated software. But I don't think SharpDevelop is a complicated software, because an experienced VB6 developer can develop similar products.

    Could you tell us what exactly are you arguing about?
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 04:01 AM.

  6. #326
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you could simply tell me what features VB6 IDE has that make it complex and why SharpDevelop isn't as complex when it offers very similar features then I would honestly believe you are making a serious comparison. If you insist on pretending your original argument was about a replacement for VB6, or when development stopped, or your own personal interest in the software, then it is obvious you never intended to play fair and actually consider the software that was suggested.
    Yes, I'm indeed looking for some reference materials, but I do not take SharpDevelop seriously, it is not my reference object. why?
    (1) I cannot develop a software similar to VSCode on the basis of SharpDevelop.
    (2) I cannot develop a substitute for VB6-IDE based on SharpDevelop.

    If there are real .NET experts here, then they may be able to achieve the above two points, which is why I want to hear the opinions of real .NET experts.

    In addition, based on my previous development experience, I use VB6 to develop a product similar to SharpDevelop without any difficulty, but such a product has no value/meaning.

  7. #327
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    My argument has never changed. It's just that you deliberately misinterpreted my meaning.

    My point is: Compared with VB6, .NET does not have any obvious advantages in developing desktop software.

    If you want to refute my point, then you only need to list some complex (and well-known) desktop software developed with .NET, and these software is difficult or even impossible to develop with VB6. Then it can be proved that .NET is better than VB6.

    But everyone has different opinions on what is the standard for complex software. So, I listed some software that I think are complicated. VSCode and VB6-IDE are what I think are complicated software. But I don't think SharpDevelop is a complicated software, because an experienced VB6 developer can develop similar products.

    Could you tell us what exactly are you arguing about?
    So show me an example of a complex IDE written in VB6. You asked for examples of complex software, SharpDevelop is such an example. The fact you spent 10 minutes looking at it and dismissed the complexity does not mean it isn't complex. You have not shown a single reason of why you think VB6 is more complex, you have just made a baseless statement. You have not given an example of similar software written in VB6 either. If you could even explain which features of writing an IDE would be easier in VB6 than .Net you might have some justification for your claim that VB6 is better - simply claiming that is the case however doesn't make it so.

  8. #328
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Yes, I'm indeed looking for some reference materials, but I do not take SharpDevelop seriously, it is not my reference object. why?
    (1) I cannot develop a software similar to VSCode on the basis of SharpDevelop.
    (2) I cannot develop a substitute for VB6-IDE based on SharpDevelop.

    If there are real .NET experts here, then they may be able to achieve the above two points, which is why I want to hear the opinions of real .NET experts.

    In addition, based on my previous development experience, I use VB6 to develop a product similar to SharpDevelop without any difficulty, but such a product has no value/meaning.
    You originally asked for an example of complex software written in .Net. The fact you cannot use one example I gave to develop another IDE was not your original claim. You never said you wanted an example of software written in .Net that then could be used to develop another IDE.

    You are completely changing your rules, you are rejecting a valid example of complex software on the grounds that it doesn't meet some utterly irrelevant criteria. A decent development IDE is a complex piece of software. The fact you can't use it to develop another IDE is not the point.

    Then again, SharpDevelop will actually build SharpDevelop - so it is in fact powerful enough to build and design an IDE. There is no fundamental reason why it couldn't be used to develop something like VS code.


    Can you show me an example of a VB6 like IDE written fully in VB6? Can you show me an example of a VSCode like IDE written entirely in VB6? Can you show me an example of a SharpDevelop like IDE written entirely in VB6? I suspect the answer is a resounding "No".

  9. #329
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    So show me an example of a complex IDE written in VB6. You asked for examples of complex software, SharpDevelop is such an example. The fact you spent 10 minutes looking at it and dismissed the complexity does not mean it isn't complex. You have not shown a single reason of why you think VB6 is more complex, you have just made a baseless statement. You have not given an example of similar software written in VB6 either. If you could even explain which features of writing an IDE would be easier in VB6 than .Net you might have some justification for your claim that VB6 is better - simply claiming that is the case however doesn't make it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    You originally asked for an example of complex software written in .Net. The fact you cannot use one example I gave to develop another IDE was not your original claim. You never said you wanted an example of software written in .Net that then could be used to develop another IDE.

    You are completely changing your rules, you are rejecting a valid example of complex software on the grounds that it doesn't meet some utterly irrelevant criteria. A decent development IDE is a complex piece of software. The fact you can't use it to develop another IDE is not the point.

    Then again, SharpDevelop will actually build SharpDevelop - so it is in fact powerful enough to build and design an IDE. There is no fundamental reason why it couldn't be used to develop something like VS code.


    Can you show me an example of a VB6 like IDE written fully in VB6? Can you show me an example of a VSCode like IDE written entirely in VB6? Can you show me an example of a SharpDevelop like IDE written entirely in VB6? I suspect the answer is a resounding "No".
    Do you know that there is a principle in the law (logic): "who advocates, who gives evidence"?

    Since you and others repeatedly promoted ".NET is better than VB6" (including the development of desktop software) in the VB6 sub-forum, you should give examples to prove your point. Why do you want me to give an example?

    I say it again: my point is:
    Compared with VB6, .NET does not have any obvious advantages in developing desktop software.
    (My opinion is a response to those .NET advocates)

    As for VSCode and VB6-IDE, it was just a topic that was unintentionally involved in the debate. If someone (non-Microsoft company) can use .NET to develop products similar to VSCode or VB6-IDE, it will completely change my impression of .NET. If there is no such example, it doesn't matter. You can also prove your point by cite an example with development difficulty similar to Photoshop or MATLAB or AutoCAD. This is what I want to say.

    In addition, if you think that SharpDevelop is good enough and complex enough to be changed to a substitute for VB6-IDE, then you can recommend SharpDevelop to the author of RADBasic, so that we can see the success of RADBasic development as soon as possible. RADBasic will become the most powerful example of ".NET is better than VB6".
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 04:56 AM.

  10. #330
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Do you know that there is a principle in the law (logic): "who advocates, who gives evidence"?

    Since you and others repeatedly promoted ".NET is better than VB6" (including the development of desktop software) in the VB6 sub-forum, you should give examples to prove your point. Why do you want me to give an example?
    Here are a few features that are included in .Net for desktop development that immediately spring to mind. This is not an exhaustive list and this is all standard, .Net provided functionality.

    Firstly UI specific things.
    1. (WinForms) DPI aware forms - the built in forms and controls are DPI aware, you can respond to changes in DPI during runtime, per monitor DPI settings.
    2. (WinForms) Built in access to a Forms WndProc.
    3. Fully Unicode aware UI
    4. Built in localisation support, UI and strings. Full support for RTL languages.
    5. Native Console apps.
    6. (WinForms) Visual Inheritance
    7. AddHandler / RemoveHandler for event binding, pub / sub approach to event handling.
    8. (WinForms) Useful DataBinding
    9. (WinForms) Control anchoring / FlowPanels to make it easier to handle resizing of controls at runtime
    10. (WinForms) Validation events and controls to make input validation easier.
    11. (WinForms) Custom control creation via inheritance and no need for things like property bag to save settings.
    12. (Winforms) Support for saving / loading settings.
    13. (XAML) Rich UI composition.
    14. (XAML) Manage UI layout through a declarative structure.
    15. (XAML) Powerful data binding model.
    16. (XAML) Built in animation support
    17. (WPF / XAML) GPU accelerated screen rendering
    18. (Winforms / XAML) Drag / drop forms designer (might not be used for XAML even though it is present)
    19. (XAML) Touch, mouse, pen input supported.

    Also not directly UI related but will help
    20. Async / Await support to simplify async apps / multithreaded apps. Including support through most of the framework.
    21. Full type safe collection classes
    22. Generics
    23. Linq
    24. Exceptions, not On Error Goto
    25. 64 bit support.
    26. Delegates / lambdas for easier event handling
    27. OneClick deployment
    28. Self Contained deployments.


    All of those are part of .Net as standard and don't rely on 3rd party components. What does VB6 have to offer in competition?

  11. #331
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Can you show me an example of a VB6 like IDE written fully in VB6?
    VFB LIKE this(visula freebasic),support x64,x86

    http://www.yfvb.com/soft-48.htm

    IDE (Visual Integrated Development Environment) for desktop application software development of Windows operating system, using FreeBasic language (syntax is the same as VisualBasic6, expanded advanced functions and low-level processing capabilities of the system, as powerful as C language, and the programming method is as simple and easy to use as VisualBasic6)

    A professional Basic language programming software with a lot of optimization and UI framework. It is easy for novices to use, low learning cost, and it is so simple that you only need to drag the control with the mouse to make a software. Experts do not need to think about windows and controls, and focus on function development, so the development efficiency is high, and the underlying functions are rich, and they will not be limited by the language.

    Itís very green and pure. You donít need any runtime library, unzip it to any folder, open it and use it, it integrates IDE, compiler, help, function library, etc., all you donít need to worry about, all you do is write the code, then click Press the compile button to generate an EXE. The generated EXE is also pure green, without any support library or runtime library, and it runs independently.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 05:07 AM.

  12. #332
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Here are a few features that are included in .Net for desktop development that immediately spring to mind. This is not an exhaustive list and this is all standard, .Net provided functionality.

    Firstly UI specific things.
    1. (WinForms) DPI aware forms - the built in forms and controls are DPI aware, you can respond to changes in DPI during runtime, per monitor DPI settings.
    2. (WinForms) Built in access to a Forms WndProc.
    3. Fully Unicode aware UI
    4. Built in localisation support, UI and strings. Full support for RTL languages.
    5. Native Console apps.
    6. (WinForms) Visual Inheritance
    7. AddHandler / RemoveHandler for event binding, pub / sub approach to event handling.
    8. (WinForms) Useful DataBinding
    9. (WinForms) Control anchoring / FlowPanels to make it easier to handle resizing of controls at runtime
    10. (WinForms) Validation events and controls to make input validation easier.
    11. (WinForms) Custom control creation via inheritance and no need for things like property bag to save settings.
    12. (Winforms) Support for saving / loading settings.
    13. (XAML) Rich UI composition.
    14. (XAML) Manage UI layout through a declarative structure.
    15. (XAML) Powerful data binding model.
    16. (XAML) Built in animation support
    17. (WPF / XAML) GPU accelerated screen rendering
    18. (Winforms / XAML) Drag / drop forms designer (might not be used for XAML even though it is present)
    19. (XAML) Touch, mouse, pen input supported.

    Also not directly UI related but will help
    20. Async / Await support to simplify async apps / multithreaded apps. Including support through most of the framework.
    21. Full type safe collection classes
    22. Generics
    23. Linq
    24. Exceptions, not On Error Goto
    25. 64 bit support.
    26. Delegates / lambdas for easier event handling
    27. OneClick deployment
    28. Self Contained deployments.


    All of those are part of .Net as standard and don't rely on 3rd party components. What does VB6 have to offer in competition?
    I have basically understood all the advantages you mentioned, but these advantages are trivial.
    You should introduce these advantages to the development teams of Photoshop, MATLAB, and AuotCAD, and persuade them to re-develop their products with .NET.

    In addition, you should ask Microsoft, since .NET is so good and powerful, why they can't use .NET to develop a tool that can 100% migrate VB6-apps to .NET.

    You should also ask Microsoft, why not use the open source .NETCore (.NET5) to develop VSCode.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 05:09 AM.

  13. #333
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    VFB LIKE this(visula freebasic),support x64,x86

    http://www.yfvb.com/soft-48.htm

    IDE (Visual Integrated Development Environment) for desktop application software development of Windows operating system, using FreeBasic language (syntax is the same as VisualBasic6, expanded advanced functions and low-level processing capabilities of the system, as powerful as C language, and the programming method is as simple and easy to use as VisualBasic6)

    A professional Basic language programming software with a lot of optimization and UI framework. It is easy for novices to use, low learning cost, and it is so simple that you only need to drag the control with the mouse to make a software. Experts do not need to think about windows and controls, and focus on function development, so the development efficiency is high, and the underlying functions are rich, and they will not be limited by the language.

    Itís very green and pure. You donít need any runtime library, unzip it to any folder, open it and use it, it integrates IDE, compiler, help, function library, etc., all you donít need to worry about, all you do is write the code, then click Press the compile button to generate an EXE. The generated EXE is also pure green, without any support library or runtime library, and it runs independently.
    Let me ask you a question for Niya and PlausiblyDamp:
    Why don't you use .NET to develop VFB?

  14. #334
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    I have basically understood all the advantages you mentioned, but these advantages are trivial.
    You should introduce these advantages to the development teams of Photoshop, MATLAB, and AuotCAD, and persuade them to re-develop their products with .NET.

    In addition, you should ask Microsoft, since .NET is so good and powerful, why they can't use .NET to develop a tool that can 100% migrate VB6-apps to .NET.
    Microsoft is not without this ability, but each programming IDE is completed by a different development team. Just like Microsoft has acquired many technology companies, what they have to do is not 100% accept all employees or absorb all the source code. Sometimes all they have to do is to kill all potential, just to prevent such companies from existing in the world and forming competitiveness.
    For example, vb.net has been behind C# for many months to several years. In the end, VB.NET stopped developing and only C# could survive.
    Everything is just for business, is it necessary for WIN7 to keep updating for free? no need.
    WIN10 can no longer be updated after a few years.
    Use SHARPDEVELOP to convert VB.NET project to C#, or C# to VB.NET.
    But with VS2019 I did not find such a function.

    VB6 was developed based on VBA, but VBA has been upgraded to 64-bit, but the main function has not been improved much. Otherwise, the controls on the previous form can be increased several times. However, VB6 does not provide any updates, does not support 64-bit, and does not support any BUG repair.

  15. #335
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    My point is: Compared with VB6, .NET does not have any obvious advantages in developing desktop software

    If I say that win11 has almost no major inventions compared to WIN7, and WIN7 can completely replace WIN11, which is only a small number of UI updates, what would you think? SQL SERVER 2008 is equivalent to SQL SERVER 2000, and the latest version of SQL SERVER 2022 is estimated to be little progress than SQL SERVER 2008.
    In fact, the function has been greatly improved, but the compatibility is very good.

  16. #336

    Thread Starter
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Glad you finally realized this. In this way, we won't waste time anymore, will we?

    You know why I want to end the debate with you as soon as possible.
    SDO - Perhaps you will one day realise that the best way to end a debate is to STOP TALKING.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

  17. #337
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    I just opened the VFB website and there is an interesting statistic:
    Positive rating(Likes): 369
    Poor rating: 1992

  18. #338
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    I use VB6 to develop a product similar to SharpDevelop without any difficulty, but such a product has no value/meaning.
    It doesn't make much sense to develop a sharpdevelop with VB6. However, it makes sense to develop an IDE that is highly similar to VB6 with VB.NET. Use VC2019 to develop a VB6 IDE, and support 64-bit compilation, you can directly use C++ compiler or GCC compiler, is it meaningless now? As long as Microsoft does not sue you and a Fortune 500 company in Russia or China develops it, half of the entire country will use it, and elementary school students will use it. Do you dare to say that it is meaningless?

    When a country is economically blocked, including prohibiting the use of software developed by American technology (VS2019, photoshop, cad, office) and other large-scale software that is needed in industry and work, you will find that even the highly similar ones are very similar. Significant.
    HUAWEI HarmonyOS, LIKE I watch os, car os, in the future, competition in the world will be very strong.
    In fact, VB6 and VB.NET are the victims of the battle between JAVA and Microsoft.

    Including visual interface development, grammar support, intelligent prompts, etc.
    This is the charm of technological advancement.

  19. #339
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    SDO - Perhaps you will one day realise that the best way to end a debate is to STOP TALKING.
    Do you think my purpose is to argue with some very amateur programmers? My purpose is twofold:
    (1) Let more discerning people choose the technical solution that suits them.
    (2) When those real experts show up and make comments, find out what they think.

  20. #340
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    I have basically understood all the advantages you mentioned, but these advantages are trivial.
    As expected, I make several points and you dismiss them out of hand with no justification other than a personal opinion with absolutely no technical reasoning whatsoever.

    Have you ever written multithreaded code by hand and then done the same with Async / Await? Have you ever used language supported generics? Have you used declarative markup such as XAML to design a UI? Can you give a single, technical reason (btw "I think they aren't important, because VB6 makes me happy" is not a technical argument). Every single case put forward about .NEt you dismiss with absolutely no technical argument, no justification, and no demonstration of actual knowledge of what the .Net features entail. If your entire argument is based around personal preference for VB6 and you have no desire to even look into alternate things at least have the decency to be honest and admit this. Constantly dismissing things based on opinion rather than technical facts make you out to be utterly one sided.

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    You should introduce these advantages to the development teams of Photoshop, MATLAB, and AuotCAD, and persuade them to re-develop their products with .NET.
    No I shouldn't. This may come as a complete shock to you but it isn't my job to convince any of these companies to use a different tech to what they are using. By your rationale you should be trying to convince them to use VB6. Either that or you are just being deliberately awkward and trolling again.

  21. #341
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    It doesn't make much sense to develop a sharpdevelop with VB6. However, it makes sense to develop an IDE that is highly similar to VB6 with VB.NET. Use VC2019 to develop a VB6 IDE, and support 64-bit compilation, you can directly use C++ compiler or GCC compiler, is it meaningless now? As long as Microsoft does not sue you and a Fortune 500 company in Russia or China develops it, half of the entire country will use it, and elementary school students will use it. Do you dare to say that it is meaningless?
    Why don't you and your friends do these things? Why does the author of VFB not use VB.NET to develop VFB?

  22. #342

    Thread Starter
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    I have basically understood all the advantages you mentioned, but these advantages are trivial.
    Not trivial stuff SDO. Come on chap, no need to flail about with spurious arguments. Those advantages cannot be swept away by just saying they are trivial.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

  23. #343
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    If someone (non-Microsoft company) can use .NET to develop products similar to VSCode or VB6-IDE, it will completely change my impression of .NET
    Microsoft does not want to use VB.NET to develop a VB6 IDE interface. He just wants you to use the .NET framework, and even he killed VB.NET, just using a C# is enough.
    In essence, VC++ 2019 can completely replace VB6.
    A real programmer can't live without VB6? Take a look at the global software companies, how many are based on VB6 development? Are there more projects developed in C# than in VB.NET?

    Microsoft only needs you to use VC++, C#, WIN10 (only WIN11 in the future)
    So he abandoned VB6, XP, WIN7, and VISUAL FOX PRO.
    Although I have been using WIN8 for several years, it feels that there is no difference between WIN10 and WIN11.

    As long as the computer configuration is good enough, WIN11 is as fast as WIN7, and it runs faster and the interface is better. Why can I only use WIN7?
    Even if WIN7 only occupies 500M of memory, WIN11 needs 5GB of memory, what's the point?

    In order to install the operating system into the memory, I can buy 32G, 64G memory. In this way, the read and write speed of the hard disk has become 8000M to 20,000 MB per second.

  24. #344
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    As expected, I make several points and you dismiss them out of hand with no justification other than a personal opinion with absolutely no technical reasoning whatsoever.

    Have you ever written multithreaded code by hand and then done the same with Async / Await? Have you ever used language supported generics? Have you used declarative markup such as XAML to design a UI? Can you give a single, technical reason (btw "I think they aren't important, because VB6 makes me happy" is not a technical argument). Every single case put forward about .NEt you dismiss with absolutely no technical argument, no justification, and no demonstration of actual knowledge of what the .Net features entail. If your entire argument is based around personal preference for VB6 and you have no desire to even look into alternate things at least have the decency to be honest and admit this. Constantly dismissing things based on opinion rather than technical facts make you out to be utterly one sided.

    No I shouldn't. This may come as a complete shock to you but it isn't my job to convince any of these companies to use a different tech to what they are using. By your rationale you should be trying to convince them to use VB6. Either that or you are just being deliberately awkward and trolling again.
    By your rationale...
    Did you see me go to the .NET sub-forum to persuade .Netter to use VB6? Logic is a very important thing.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 05:43 AM.

  25. #345
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Why don't you and your friends do these things? Why does the author of VFB not use VB.NET to develop VFB?
    We are only opponents of Microsoft. VFB is just for the development of some small tools, just like the earliest VB6 and DELPHI7. The entire IDE and a large number of source code examples only occupy 100MB of hard disk space and do not need to install a 10G .NET runtime environment. There is no reason to use 100G VS2019 development tools to develop a small tool, right?
    C#/VB.NET can fully develop VB6 IDE interface, even VB6 syntax and code smart tips. It's just that if the development cost is 10 million US dollars, can you let him go public and then turn into 1 billion US dollars to cash out? If you canít make money, itís better to buy a few houses and double the price in a few years.

  26. #346
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Not trivial stuff SDO. Come on chap, no need to flail about with spurious arguments. Those advantages cannot be swept away by just saying they are trivial.
    Unfortunately just sweeping things away and changing the argument seems to be his entire approach to this, there certainly seems to be no actual desire to consider things from a technical point of view. His entire position is based on spurious arguments and whatever makes him feel all warm and happy.

  27. #347
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Unfortunately just sweeping things away and changing the argument seems to be his entire approach to this, there certainly seems to be no actual desire to consider things from a technical point of view. His entire position is based on spurious arguments and whatever makes him feel all warm and happy.
    Do you want me to repeat what I have already said?

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IndicSoftware View Post
    Perfectly said. I also personally believe that we need to use the best tool available for a task in the market. In my case I prefer using B4A instead of any other mobile development tools when it comes to developing apps for Android platform.

    I will just narrate a small incidence. A few years back we started developing a product called AlbumSense (now split into two products AlbumSense and PhotoSense) for a client in VB6. We studied PhotoDemon's code and borrowed quite a lot from it, but as we progressed in our development we started running into problems especially performance related problems in image processing.

    So after spending around 4 months on development in VB6. But we had to ditch it and switch to Delphi as it has all the things (read components) that we want. And it was finalized that we want to give one single executable of the software instead of shipping a plethora of supporting libraries (DLLs), etc. with it.

    We completed the product development in record time and our client is selling it like hot cakes for a while now.
    Obviously, whether it is VB6, or Delphi, or .Net, or Java, or C++ can be used to complete products similar to your company (desktop-apps), it only depends on the technical level of the development team and development costs.

    Maybe you can try Colibrico-Software, it was developed by someone in this forum with pure VB6 + RC5.

    Each company's situation is different, and they will choose the appropriate technical solution according to their own company's actual situation. Your choice of Delphi is obviously a wise choice. But we can imagine such a situation:

    The main developers of a company are VB6ers, and their core developers are not only VB6 experts, but also RC5/RC6 experts. In addition, this core developer may be the company's development manager or even the companyís boss. So if this company will develop a product similar to yours, what technical solution will they choose? There is no doubt that they will choose VB6 + RC5/RC6.

    However, at this time, a heart-warming person kept telling the boss of this company that you should use Delphi or .NET, which is better than VB6. Even if you explain your company's situation to this enthusiastic person, he still babbles repetitive words, what will you do?

    In addition, some people can only develop simple products even if they use the latest development languages ​​and technologies. 99% of C# developers are not competent for the development of compilers and IDEs. (Similarly, 99% of VB6 and Delphi developers are not qualified for this job)

    And these people who can only develop some simple products are keen to compare which development language is better.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 05:51 AM.

  28. #348
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    In fact, using JAVA to develop an IDE tool similar to VB6 is even more challenging.
    Freebasic is free and open source, including the compiler, so I used it to develop a VB7-like vfb ide (in many ways, it exceeds VB6 too much).
    Earlier, someone developed a simple IDE with Powerbasic, but it did not support visual form design or even smart code prompts.

    Many years ago, someone used Powerbasic to develop an IDE that can compile Freebasic, "FireFly".
    FireFly 3.X has not been updated for so many years? Yes, there is no update, because FireFly is developed with PowerBASIC instead of FreeBASIC. The original work wanted to be developed with FreeBASIC. The software named WinFBE was developed in 2017 and it is open source, but the development efficiency is too low.

    So it is necessary to develop an IDE in the same language.
    Using VB.NET to develop VB6 IDE is completely wrong.
    It doesn't make sense to develop a small VSCODE-like tool with VB.NET, because different products have their own positioning.
    The SHARPDEVELOP team is fully capable of doing this, but it's just that these developers may have been snatched away by Microsoft's high price.

    We just want to make a development tool as simple as VB6. It is small and fast. This is the positioning of VFB.
    If there is capital, creativity, development, and then going public, the company can sell for 1 billion or 10 billion US dollars. This is entirely possible.

  29. #349
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    I just opened the VFB website and there is an interesting statistic:
    Positive rating(Likes): 369
    Poor rating: 1992
    Ratings donít make any sense. How many bad ratings do you think the United States has spent 2 trillion dollars in attacking Afghanistan for 20 years? Even if the Americans voted, maybe 3-5 years should be gone.
    Even if twinbaisic still has many individual company developers who want to challenge the status of VB6, they are all dead on the road.
    Like VB6 software, VFB still belongs to the first or second place.

    There are several conditions to be met, and the .NET framework cannot be used. If this thing is good, who would oppose VB.NET, C#?
    It adopts VB6 similar syntax and supports the development of 64-bit programs.
    The compiler can actually use GCC or JAVA, etc.

  30. #350
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Do you want me to repeat what I have already said?
    I would like you to actually back up your claims that everything I mentioned above are "trivial" with some technical reasons rather than just an outright dismissal.

    I would like you to actually justify why you think VB6's IDE is complex but SharpDevelop isn't with some technical, or in fact any, reasons beyond your personal opinion.

  31. #351
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I would like you to actually back up your claims that everything I mentioned above are "trivial" with some technical reasons rather than just an outright dismissal.

    I would like you to actually justify why you think VB6's IDE is complex but SharpDevelop isn't with some technical, or in fact any, reasons beyond your personal opinion.
    Some things need a lot of words to explain. I once said that a picture is worth 100 sentences, and a good case is worth 10,000 sentences. Wait patiently for six months or one year, maybe something new will come out.

  32. #352
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Some things need a lot of words to explain. I once said that a picture is worth 100 sentences, and a good case is worth 10,000 sentences. Wait patiently for six months or one year, maybe something new will come out.
    Somethings don't require a lot of words though, they just require more than "trivial". You can't even refute one single point out of that list I made from a technical point of view, you just wave away everything that doesn't agree with your opinion.

  33. #353
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Have you ever written multithreaded code by hand and then done the same with Async / Await? Have you ever used language supported generics? Have you used declarative markup such as XAML to design a UI? Can you give a single, technical reason (btw "I think they aren't important, because VB6 makes me happy" is not a technical argument). Every single case put forward about .NEt you dismiss with absolutely no technical argument, no justification, and no demonstration of actual knowledge of what the .Net features entail. If your entire argument is based around personal preference for VB6 and you have no desire to even look into alternate things at least have the decency to be honest and admit this. Constantly dismissing things based on opinion rather than technical facts make you out to be utterly one sided..

    Multi-threaded asynchronous or delegate may be just an event mechanism in nature. Thread A runs to a certain step, creates an event E1, and then needs to start a separate thread to download a web page, after the download is complete, the state of E1 changes, and thread A continues to run.
    In fact, this is the simplest principle that may be used, but it becomes very high-end after packaging.
    However, the packaging on the IDE makes it easy to write code, and the idea is simple and easy to understand. Sometimes developers don't need to understand how it is implemented internally. This is the credit of the IDE.
    For example, like VB6 form, what message loop, what control ID, menu ID, there is no such concept at all, and the button does not need a handle (in fact, they all have a handle)
    HTML5 is different. Tabs, tables, text input boxes, buttons, all have no handles.
    In fact, COM DLL of .NET, OCX and COM DLL of VB6 are all implemented based on GUID and other methods, but the compiler hides this part of the underlying programming.
    Just like the custom control of VB6, there are 5 custom controls loaded on the form, and each attribute is different. In fact, you can also use INI or SQLITE to save the configuration, or turn these attributes into VB6 code. Write directly when compiling.

  34. #354
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Somethings don't require a lot of words though, they just require more than "trivial". You can't even refute one single point out of that list I made from a technical point of view, you just wave away everything that doesn't agree with your opinion.
    In a way, they are really trivial.

  35. #355
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    In a way, they are really trivial.
    And in another, more accurate, way they aren't trivial.

  36. #356
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    And in another, more accurate, way they aren't trivial.
    Yes, this is true for you and Niya.

  37. #357
    PowerPoster techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    33,486

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Hey everyone! Windmills can be found in aisle 42!

    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  38. #358
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    447

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    VB6 has been abandoned by Microsoft for 23 years, and .NET has been developed by Microsoft for 20 years.

    However, when I hope that .NET supporters can cite an example of using .NET development that convinces VB6ers (makes VB6ers shut up), but the .NET supporters here seem to be constantly making rounds and arguing. Is it really so hard to give an example that will make me shut up?

    Note:
    The example Sharpdevelop not only fails to convince me, but also strengthens my confidence in continuing to use VB6.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 07:22 AM.

  39. #359
    MS SQL Powerposter szlamany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    18,079

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Woof...haven't seen two cents buy THAT many words since before the PDP 11.
    Compared to the quantity and depth of all these other posts? I thought I needed that many words just to be noticed. And I wasn't noticed, lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm currently working on a project that's written half in VB.Net and half in C# with a TSQL backend. I'm becoming completely schizophrenic and it takes me six attempts to rem out a line of code.
    Same here always - do lots of T-SQL and lots of JavaScript and enough VB each day to be totally lost when it comes to rem'ing out code! Sometimes I have to look at another loop in JS to remember where the TEST and the INCREMENT go! Just remembering the order of arguments for CHARINDEX() in T-SQL requires a little rhyme in my mind! Crazy - that's what we all are!


    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Hey everyone! Windmills can be found in aisle 42!
    This post makes the most sense so far - well done!

    And 42 has real meaning!

    *** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

    Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

    Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

    MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

  40. #360

    Thread Starter
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

    ROUND 2, the battle continues, SDO has taken some heavy punches to the head and as a result he is on unsteady ground, even some bystanders have taken a few swipes, he is definitely on the ropes - but he is NOT GOING DOWN.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width