Thread: ConnectionStrings.com is gone!

ConnectionStrings.com is gone!

Yeah, found out through a reddit posting that connectionstrings.com website is gone. Poof! No more. Looks like it had been hosted on an AWS server that expired. You now get a generic "Host with AWS" message. It was last seen in the WayBack Machine on July 20... so it's been in the last 10 days or so. Some one in the thread had the (not so) crazy idea of moving it to github ... seemed like a good idea... so I've set one up.
    https://github.com/TechGnome/connection-strings
    I'm basing it on the last known capture in the WBM, http://web.archive.org/web/202107221...ionstrings.com

Any rate... there's a lot in there to be moved over.... I'm willing to do it, but it's going to take some time, and I'll have to prioritize things ... but if anyone wants to help pitch in as well... feel free to clone the repo and add some content.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: ConnectionStrings.com is gone!

Oh man. Always sad to see a piece of internet history go. While I have never really used that site, I had come across it a couple times and was always aware of it's existence. RIP I guess.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I've used that a few times to check things out, and sent people there a few times. Strange that it vanished.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Well the lights are winking out one by one. Just a sign of the times.

Right now things like Python thrive due to massive corporate support as a tax dodge. But soon computer programming will be a rare skill, just as it was in the early 1970s before microcomputers began to be common.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    But soon computer programming will be a rare skill, just as it was in the early 1970s before microcomputers began to be common.
    It's far worse than that. Soon, programming would be an unnecessary skill. There are prototype AIs today that can write a tonne of code in seconds based on just human descriptions. In 20 years, no one would be writing code. We'd all just be telling AIs what programs we want and they would make it in seconds. And if you're thinking programmers would be needed to program the AIs themselves, you'd be wrong there too. It's not hard to imagine that like other tools of creation in IT like compilers and programming languages, AIs can become self-hosting too: AIs writing AI software.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 1st, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

To be valuable and effective "descriptions" have to be creative and very detailed. So that's just a step beyond compiler languages as we know them. For that matter we've seen little significant advance there in many decades. Current programming languages and tools haven't really advanced much in power in over 30 years.

Sure, once the day comes where the singularity begins to be reached several times there might be an AI with the bent to create meaningful software. But current casual use of the term AI is pretty pretentious and unjustified.

For example not long in the past people imagined we'd have flying cars in routine use, and colonies off planet. But something like .Net always comes along to retard progress and even set it back.

Or advance it, but you have to take your digs where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    But something like .Net always comes along to retard progress and even set it back.
    No... Stop. Just stop. Not in this thread. Take your .NET bashing, or your MS bashing, or what ever problems you have and just take it some where else.

You don't want to contribute, fine, move along, there's plenty of other threads for your crap, but this isn't one of them.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Wow humor chafes.

Microsoft bashing? No idea where that came from.

Experience, probably.

I had "credit" on that site for researching and figuring out how to do a WINDOWS "credential" login to MS SQL from a pocket PC! Back in the day!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Nothing is every truly gone from the web.

Here is a snapshot of connectionstrings from https://web.archive.org/

https://web.archive.org/web/20210716...onstrings.com/

Looks like it is back.
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

The bill got paid...

-tg

lmao

It's gone again

It is there for me...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

It's there for me too.

I have to empty the fricken cache, see it now.