Thread: Creating a windows installer for our programs

Creating a windows installer for our programs

Hi:

I need a good installer that can install/uninstall my vb.net program on various versions of windows. I also need it to check for the correct version of .Net core and install it if necessary.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Re: Creating a windows installer for our programs

Are you developing your application in Visual Studio? If so, you can create a Windows Installer package right there. Old versions of VS had Setup projects built right in, then they were removed, then they were made available again via an extension and not I think that extension is installed with VS by default. You can add a new project to your solution, set the filters to 'All languages', 'Windows' and 'All project types' and then enter 'setup' and you'll get Setup Project and Setup Wizard as options. If you don't then it may be that the 'Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects' extension is not installed, so you can add that first.

Once you have the project created, you can open the 'Prerequisites' dialogue and select the appropriate .NET Core version and where it should be installed from. This has always been possible with .NET Framework in a Setup project and .NET Core works the same way.

That said, one of the features of .NET Core is that you can deploy the required libraries as part of your application and not rely on the whole thing being installed on the target machine, as was required with .NET Framework. You can do it either way and you should consider the relative benefits of each.

That's really good info, jmcilinney. I like the sound of deploying the required libraries as part of my application. Where do I find that option in VS 2019?

Thanks!

I don't know all the details but I'd start here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/

Note that the next page list in the tree on the left is also very relevant:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...deploy-with-vs