Thread: Simplified Picture Server

Threaded View

Frenzied Member

Simplified Picture Server

Attached is a simplified Web Server utilizing SimpleServer. I started with CVMichael's simple HTTP Web Server (2), simplified it further, and substituted SimpleServer for the MS Winsock Control.

The intent was to create a remote picture viewer utilizing a Web Browser. This enables you to share pictures and other files via the Internet.

When activated, the program will load some default values, so you will need to run "SETUP". The first item to setup is the Shared Directory. This directory must end with a \.

The next item is the Port to listen on. This can be any number from 0 to 65535, but I would recommend a number between 1000 and 10000. Low numbers are used by public servers, and high numbers are used by the operating system.

Next is the Maximum Connections. This is the number of simultaneous connections allowed. I have defaulted to 10, but that number is quite high for this application. 5 should be quite adequate.

Next is the IP version. If you are using IPv6, this should be 6 instead of 4.

Restart the program for the changes to take effect.

To test the program, direct your browser to the port you have assigned (eg. localhost:8080).

To allow access from the outside world, you will need to configure your router to forward the port you have selected to your computer. To do this, you will also need to use a fixed IP address.

Although this application was developed as a picture viewer, it should support any file that your browser supports.

J.A. Coutts

Updated: 07/31/2021
    Updated: 06/15/2021
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by couttsj; Aug 15th, 2021 at 08:48 PM.