Thread: [RESOLVED] Program will not delete or allow me to use previous name when updating program

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Program will not delete or allow me to use previous name when updating program

I keep getting an error message saying: Program is open and close before changing and updating previous name .exe. I do have all programs closed but it still want allow me to delete or use same file name as previously used when updating my program.

PowerPoster

Re: Program will not delete or allow me to use previous name when updating program

Double-check in Task Manager if the .exe is still running. It is possible that a main form was hidden so that it isn't running visibly but is still indeed running. If so, use Task Manager to end the task and try again.

PowerPoster

Re: Program will not delete or allow me to use previous name when updating program

If so, use Task Manager to end the task and try again.
    you also need to find why it is not closing properly and fix
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Lively Member

Post is not closed. Program is not running under Task Manager and still will not allow me to delete

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RLPeloquin View Post
    Post is not closed. Program is not running under Task Manager and still will not allow me to delete
    Have you tried rebooting? That should resolve it, but unfortunately it won't reveal the root cause, so if it happens again you will be in the same situation.

PowerPoster

If memory serves you have a ton of forms in your project. Best guess is that you have code in one or more of those to hide the form rather than unload it.
    The other thing that typically causes the program not to terminate is if you create an instance of a class, dll or other object that you do not properly release before closing.

The only other thing I can think of would be that somehow your exe got set to read only.

so, let me get this straight....IN WINDOWS EXPLORER, you find the .exe file that you would normally run with your project...and you attempt to DELETE that file, you can't????
    We'll have to walk you through this, but you have to be very clear with your answers when you post a reply to a question (please repeat the question (you can copy-paste it) so we know what question you are answering.

Sam
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

when updating my program.
    Yeah, I'm curious about this bit here... how are you doing this?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

How do you update the program? With the same program or call another EXE (Like update.exe)?

PS: Try to not use the name update.exe, some AV lock this name

PowerPoster

if your program is installed in a system directory or other protected directory you may need to elevate to delete or overwrite the program

if you have opened multiple instances of outlook without closing all this may also be an issue, try making sure in task manager that there are no instances of outlook open, if so close all to see if it makes a difference
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Lively Member

Currently I'm having to save it as a new program. So so far I have 3 different programs since it want let me use the same name. Is there some sort of permission I need to change?

Is there some sort of permission I need to change?
    Provide answers to previous relevant questions and use Process Explorer to find out what's going on with your executable file so you can learn how to fish.

cheers,
    </wqw>