Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Some thoughts on VB6 forum

PowerPoster

Re: Some thoughts on VB6 forum

Not to mention the promise of job security in write-only code.

To be honest though, people manage that using VB just as frequently.

Yeah, I didn't go there because I wanted to be more concise, but you can write crap code in any language. I doubt that easier languages are also easier to write bad code in. They might be more rewarding for people just starting out, but eventually, water seeks its own level.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Not exclusive to the C language. As elitist as C programmers are, the worst by far are Linux users. OMG If you think discussions about different languages can get heated, wait till you see a Linux vs Windows war.

I think in IT when it comes to things that are "harder", it creates this feeling of superiority for those mastered it. This in turn makes them come across as smug and dismissive which is very off putting. The best thing I learned is when reading such topics is to completely take my personal feelings about it out of it. You'd be surprised that sometimes these elitists do have valid points when you get past of the venom of their words and get to the core of what they are saying. I'm not dumping Windows for Linux anytime soon, but I'm not gonna lie, it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. I also never thought the day would come where I would be drawn to a C based language in preference to a BASIC language. At the end of the day, there is a reason so many people seem to hold similar views and it's not purely because they want to be part of a "special club". There really is something to their arguments.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

At the end of the day, there is a reason so many people seem to hold similar views and it's not purely because they want to be part of a "special club". There really is something to their arguments.
    In turn, then there must be something to the arguments of the people that disagree with them. lol

It's funny that people would feel superior because they are doing something the "hard" way. VB6 does seem to get a lot of the blame for all these "inferior " programmers. But VB6 was born out of the fact that PC's processing power and memory storage increased exponentially. When Windows came out, it was agonizingly slow, so was VB. We had a couple of clients that paid for GUI programs from other people and they basically had to throw them away and pay us to write a new program. But that changed quickly. Now PC's are so powerful that many times efficiency/exe size/memory usage is not a factor. They all preform faster than the operator.

But I think I understand why so many C programmers have an attitude. I got to admit, I feel proud when I look back at the good old days when I could create a multiuser CRUD system that worked well on a machine with 1meg of ram. But, then I had to become a VB6 and VB .Net hack. Oh well, it paid the bills and kept food on the table.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Quattro Pro macro language. As a language, it was pretty terrible. It had lousy performance, limited functionality, and was missing pretty nearly every feature you could ask for in a language or an IDE. Still, it was an interesting challenge. The limitations of the language were such that writing anything significant could only be done if it were treated like ASM. I wrote some involved statistical programs in that. Interesting times.

I don't regret moving on, but I'm also glad I did that.

PowerPoster

VB6 is almost extinct now anyway.

.Netters are so twitchy I can't imagine how they'll implode when the Python gang starts peeing in their threads as they always have in VB6. The insecurity is palpable.

Python seems unlikely, but it seems to be the only thing with any steam right now. What else has a large and growing base today? C, C++, and Java remain pretty common and stable by most measures.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    .Netters are so twitchy I can't imagine how they'll implode when the Python gang starts peeing in their threads as they always have in VB6.
    Two different worlds. Python is a language. .Net is a runtime. There is no conflict to be had here.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    what else has a large and growing base today?
    c#.....

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    c#.....
    Cannibalizing VB.Net?

I would bet on F# in the long term if I wanted to be productive in .Net. Btw, is blazor with F# a thing already?

Anyway, there must be plenty functional front-end languages that transpile to JS by now too.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Cannibalizing VB.Net?
    C# was inspired by Java I believe, not VB.Net.

is blazor with F# a thing already?
    The last time I checked, Blazor works only with C# but don't quote me on that. There is sooo much going on in the .Net world, especially right now with .Net 6 in active development, that it's hard to really keep track of it all. I tend to narrow my focus to mainly the things I like and that I want to use. For example, I'm salivating over .Net MAUI and Hybrid Blazor and can't wait for them to be production ready when .Net 6 is.

I would bet on F# in the long term if I wanted to be productive in .Net.
    Well I certainly didn't expect to ever hear someone say this. To be honest, I wouldn't really know either way. I don't pay that much attention to F#. As far as I can tell, C# is the dominant .Net language which is what I pay most attention to. I can't tell you why, but F# never really caught my interest though it seems to be growing in popularity recently. I've been seeing it mentioned more and more. Especially telling is the fact that it's still being developed when the former flagship language, VB, is not.

Can you explain what the hype is about? I really don't understand why people are crazy about this language. What is it about F# that people find so appealing? I genuinely want to know.

Can you explain what the hype is about? I really don't understand why people are crazy about this language. What is it about F# that people find so appealing? I genuinely want to know.
    With functional programming whole classes of errors go away (e.g. null checks) and the other selling point is expressiveness. This usually involves strong support for types so template meta-programming is kids play compared.

And if you think that cramming functionality in a single line of C is cool then expect to find some FP magical one-liners awesome :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

With functional programming whole classes of errors go away (e.g. null checks) and the other selling point is expressiveness. This usually involves strong support for types so template meta-programming is kids play compared.

And if you think that cramming functionality in a single line of C is cool then expect to find some FP magical one-liners awesome :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Ah I see. This does sound quite appealing. But can a functional language really be as expressive as a traditional language? It seems to me that designing stateful systems might be troublesome with functional languages. My understanding is that functional languages work best with stateless designs.

The anarchist in me is happy with stateless designs.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I'd love if it was possible for me to write at least 90% of a program as stateless but programs by their very nature is stateful. I really do find stateless designs quite appealing. So many problems just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Well stated.

PowerPoster

I saw that!

Frenzied Member

Deleted ...
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 5th, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Peace is restored.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Aug 5th, 2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Peace is restored.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That quote you posted from the reddit just reinforces my suspicion about why C syntax is preferred: It's exclusionary.

That quote talks about "making it easier to understand." OH NO!! Horrors! The unwashed masses can figure out what we are doing. Perhaps we should go back to the Latinate mass to keep them out?

I've always suspected that the popularity of C is because it can form a private club for geeks.
    You have to understand that many of these are not normal guys. Their girlfriend is a rubber doll.
    If they lose the fame of understanding things that other (normal) people don't understand, they are left with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    You have to understand that many of these are not normal guys. Their girlfriend is a rubber doll.
    If they lose the fame of understanding things that other (normal) people don't understand, they are left with nothing.
    These types of statements are nothing more than the projections of an insecure mind. It's just another spin on the age old fox and the grapes parable. These guys are no more or less normal than the rest of us. Linus Torvalds for example was a star athlete in the karate discipline. He is also married with children. His life outside of the development of Linux also very interesting and dare I say, most normal people would probably envy.

We need to stop tearing down other people with childish statements like this simply because they hold a view point that is in stark contrast to our own values.

PowerPoster

Fame? How much fame?

Maybe we should sew a new VB6.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Rubber, though, eh? eh?
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

These guys are no more or less normal than the rest of us.
    That's exactly what he was saying

That's exactly what he was saying
    lmao

Yeesh, if you're going to bicker, at least be creative.

The bit about rubber dolls was reminiscent of Moti, so it was actually...pretty spot on.

The bit about rubber dolls was reminiscent of Moti, so it was actually...pretty spot on.
    You mean the snake guy that tried to infect people's system with some kind of badly written malware?

The irony here is that he was a script kiddie. VB6, VBA and VBScript are known to be the environments of choice for script kiddies so if that comment was a jab at C programmers, it actually backfired lmao.

No. Heck, you weren't even around when that happened, were you? Fun days, those were.

Moti was the guy who was making the AI girlfriend.

No. Heck, you weren't even around when that happened, were you? Fun days, those were.
    Nah. That was way before my time.

Moti was the guy who was making the AI girlfriend.
    Ah yes. I remember seeing that necroed or referenced a couple times.

PowerPoster

I'm not sure how many have rubber dolls here, but seeing the time wasted writing nonsense (and trolling), life don't have for sure.

The point of rubber dolls was an example, albeit in some cases literal, of people having no relationship with other people, and that only are successful with technology.

The point was that such people feel "special" because they understand technology, but this is the only thing that they are proud of because they don't have any other ability. So they don't want to lose that something that makes them special. That's why they don't want everybody to understand computers. Thus, programming languages need to be difficult.

Explained for dummies, no excuse now for not understanding.

PowerPoster

I'm not sure how many have rubber dolls here, but seeing the time wasted writing nonsense (and trolling), life don't have for sure.

The point of rubber dolls was an example, albeit in some cases literal, of people having no relationship with other people, and that only are successful with technology.

The point was that such people feel "special" because they understand technology, but this is the only thing that they are proud of because they don't have any other ability. So they don't want to lose that something that makes them special. That's why they don't want everybody to understand computers. Thus, programming languages need to be difficult.

Explained for dummies, no excuse now for not understanding.
    I don't think anyone needed you to explain your original post. But I don't understand why you choose to do it in such an insulting manner, even your last post was laced with insults.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I don't think anyone needed you to explain your original post. But I don't understand why you choose to do it in such an insulting manner, even your last post was laced with insults.
    What are the insults?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I don't think either, but someone pretended not to understand it.

This is one the most ridiculous things I have ever read in my life. The great irony of it is that it more perfectly describes VB6 fanatics more so than C/C++ programmers.

PowerPoster

wes4dbt, look, post #153 is of this troll, pretending not to understand what I said.

Moderator Action: Closed this thread. Mud was slung all over the place.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234