Thread: [RESOLVED] Deleting a folder that WIN 10 says Doesn't Exist

Resolved [RESOLVED] Deleting a folder that WIN 10 says Doesn't Exist

Okay, so somehow I goofed up...I created a folder (under Music in my Jukebox) with a song artist's name. I used MKDIR. It created it just fine (or so I thought). As I was just using it as a test, I went to delete it (and another folder I created below it). When attempting to delete it, Windows will not let me (says can't find the folder). I BELIEVE there is a space at the end of the Folder Name as when I click on it in explorer (twice) to highlight the name (as if to rename it), it appears to have a space at the end.

I have tried several methods suggested by google searches, but in all cases, it simply says it can't find the folder.

The Folder Name is Red Simpson, meaning there is at lease ONE space (the one between Red and Simpson), and there MAY be one after Simpson. Using the command window, when I was in the directory immediately above it, I typed "del Red Simpson" (without the quotes), and the response was:

could not find ........ \Music\Red

If I use quotes around "Red Simpson", I get:

could not find .....\Music\Red Simpson Also, when I sue quotes and add a space at the end "Red Simpson ", I also get

could not find .....\Music\Red Simpson

I realize this may not be a VB6 issue, but I CAUSED it using VB6...

Anyone else have/had this issue and found a resolution?
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Re: Deleting a folder that WIN 10 says Doesn't Exist

If you rename the folder to "Red", can you delete it?
    What command do you use to delete?
    Can you attach the error?

Re: Deleting a folder that WIN 10 says Doesn't Exist

Okay...yeah, I tried renaming moving etc...but to no avail...however, I just DID find THE solution at YouTube:

What this user did was finding a different column using the Command Prompt, and renaming THAT name to some other name (as trying to rename the name you can see in Explorer would not allow you to as it 'couldn't be found').

This YouTube (which I will download with "aTube Catcher") is definitely going into my 'bag of tricks'.

If others have this issue, recommend looking at that youTube video.

Re: [RESOLVED] Deleting a folder that WIN 10 says Doesn't Exist

You may also have been able to delete the folder using a wildcard specification.

https://superuser.com/questions/7643...-or-rd-command

PowerPoster

Could have been some other character or more than one space, hard to say. I think I would have printed it to the debug window in quotes to try and see or maybe even write it out to a file and look at it in hex just to see what was really there.

As for how to get it to print without being sure what the name was I would think the DirListBox would be the easy way but there are others for sure.

I did attempt several ways using the cmd window, but not all those jdc linked to. In some of those 'answers' I noticed that tilde (~), which was a part of the 'name' as shown in that YouTube video.

I suspect some sort of character, to include that trailing space I mentioned, to be the cause...but I did like what the YouTuber posted...simple fix.