Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go for the Olympics

Re: Go for the Olympics

I want to watch the "Get drunk and do something stupid" event. I heard about that one, and it sounds pretty entertaining.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Oh, that'd be hard to give gold out to. How would tie-breakers work?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Time of death.

I'd totally forgot about that skit.... love it...
    "He's probably going to feel that tomorrow.."

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Well since you seem to be interested.
    This is how we did it back in the ancient times:
    I don't recall skate boarding though, what's next? Bird charming?

https://olympics.com/ioc/ancient-olympic-games
    https://www.penn.museum/sites/olympi...corigins.shtml
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

One of my friend's daughters just won a bronze medal. Women's RS:X Sailing.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

China has 9 medals for the strongest shooting,
    the United States has won 30 medals for swimming,
    and Japan has 12 medals for judo. China won 6 medals in swimming

20 medals for Australian swimming,
    14 medals for Russian fencing and shooting

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    One of my friend's daughters just won a bronze medal. Women's RS:X Sailing.
    Congratulations, it is not easy to reach the finals in the Olympics. Like swimming, gold medals and silver medals are sometimes only 0.2 seconds apart. Some bronze medals are not far behind gold medals.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

This is how we did it back in the ancient times:
    I don't recall skate boarding though, what's next? Bird charming?
    If we only allowed events from the Ancient Olympics it would be over very quickly, no Shooting of any kind, no Martial Arts sports, Racket Sports, Sailing, Cycling, Rowing, Triathlon, Swimming, Diving or Horse Dancing just to name a few.

I watched the BMX finals the other day were they do tricks similar to the Snowboarders and it was great to watch, a much better sport to have at the Olympics than Golf for instance, and one that is accessible to kids regardless of there backgrounds.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    If we only allowed events from the Ancient Olympics it would be over very quickly, no Shooting of any kind, no Martial Arts sports, Racket Sports, Sailing, Cycling, Rowing, Triathlon, Swimming, Diving or Horse Dancing just to name a few.

I watched the BMX finals the other day were they do tricks similar to the Snowboarders and it was great to watch, a much better sport to have at the Olympics than Golf for instance, and one that is accessible to kids regardless of there backgrounds.
    There is also a hurdle for equestrian hurdles, which requires people and horses to cooperate well, but it is over in one minute, not enough excitement.

How about the 100 meter dash? It's over in less than 10 seconds. They take longer getting into the blocks than they do running the actual race.

PowerPoster

That's funny. I feel the exact opposite. True, riding a bike is cheaper than playing golf but I'd guess there are a lot more golf courses than bicycle/skateboard parks. The men's tournament was great drama. Plus it's a lot safer than doing tricks on a bike. lol

I looked it up the other day and there was @ 388 different events. Something for everyone.

PowerPoster

Ranking
    Delegation
    Gold Metal
    Silver Metal
    Bronze Metal
    Total
    1 China 30 19 16 65
    2 United States 22 27 17 66
    3 Japan 18 6 10 34

China's performance is higher than that of the United States, and the total medal is slightly lower than that of the United States. 30 gold medals and 22 from the United States.
    In the 2016 Rio Olympics, the total number of medals in the United States was 121, of which China was only 70, surpassing China by 73%, the gold medal in the United States was 46, and China was 26, and the United States exceeded 77%.

This time China finally caught up, and I don't know what it will do in the end. The game is not over yet
    Last edited by dday9; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 11:37 AM.

PowerPoster

After watching the 2016 swimming competition, China won a medal for the first time. Although it was only a bronze medal, her strength has reached the level of a silver medal. It was only 0.01 second lower than the second place.
    On the first day of the final, Fu Yuanhui of China swam with a score of 58.95. She herself thought it was 59 seconds, although the difference was only 50 milliseconds, she had already swimed out of the advanced level.
    As a result, the next day I swam out of a score of 58.76 and moved forward by 0.19 seconds. In the end, it was only 0.01 seconds slower than the silver medal. So this 19 times improvement (relative to 0.01 second) is actually very great.

The master moves, sometimes it is only 0.1 point or 0.01 point difference.

Of course, the overall level is quite different. The United States has won 30 medals in swimming, but China has only six. The difference is 400%.

People who understand Chinese, watching this video is very interesting, the most funny scene of the Rio Olympic Games, she conquered the world with a bronze medal and became a "mudslide" in the swimming pool.

https://kandianshare.html5.qq.com/v3...44465360971115

PowerPoster

In the semi-finals of the women's 100m backstroke at the 2016 Olympic Games, Fu Yuanhui swam 58.95 seconds and advanced to the final in third place. The following is an interview with reporters after the competition:

Fu Yuanhui: 58 seconds 95? I thought it was 59 seconds, I really couldn't believe it.

Reporter: Do you retain your strength in this state today?

Fu Yuanhui: Wow! I have no reservations, I have already used the power of the wild! This is the best result in my history!

Fu Yuanhui: The ghost knows what I have been through in the past three months. Sometimes I really think I'm going to die. That kind of feeling, life is better than death!

Reporter: Are you full of expectations for tomorrow's final?

Fu Yuanhui: No, I am already very satisfied. I am very satisfied with the results of the semi-finals!

I am not full of hope for tomorrow, because I am satisfied with today-简书
    https://www.jianshu.com/p/0cb707b34902

PowerPoster

China's performance is higher than that of the United States, and the total medal is slightly lower than that of the United States.
    China has 4 times the population of the US. So, China should have 4 times the number of medals as the US. Obviously the US is out preforming China by a wide margin.

By that measure, we're outperforming India by even more.

The medals tend to go to strong countries. The USSR often topped US medal counts, and claimed that it meant something. Of course, in their case, it often meant that their drugs were better. The success that China is seeing is largely due to a country coming of age such that it is focusing more on things like sports. Another factor is the great proliferation of sporting events at the Olympics. The US is only really focused on a few types of events. If we ever do well in things like shooting, badminton, and so on, it's just by chance. Athletics in the US are set up to funnel gifted athletes into certain sports. Any kids identified early on as having elite athletic ability tend to be channeled into those sports where they can make a living...or fade out along the way.

PowerPoster

Another factor is the great proliferation of sporting events at the Olympics. The US is only really focused on a few types of events.
    Yeah, I like the fact that some sports are dominated by smaller countries. Was watching canoe/kayak racing yesterday, not an American in sight. Men from Hungry were always in the medals. there was a woman from New Zealand that was dominating the kayak racing.

I'm glad for all the athletes, it's something they can be proud of for their entire life.

PowerPoster

In the 1988 Seoul Olympics, the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and the 2008 Beijing Olympics, there was a subversive scene: Chinese players swept gold, silver and bronze medals. As a result, three five-star red flags appeared and the spectacular scenes were rising at the same time.
    Subsequently, the Olympic Organizing Committee avoided this incident from happening again, so it revised the rules of the competition-no more than two members from a country can participate.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    China has 4 times the population of the US. So, China should have 4 times the number of medals as the US. Obviously the US is out preforming China by a wide margin.
    In theory, based on the total population, the United States has only about 350 million people, and China has more than 1.3 billion. It should be more than three times the number of medals of the United States to be considered a fair game.

Even so, the Olympic Committee is not allowed to obtain gold, silver, and bronze medals by the same country at the same time.
    In fact, India’s population has surpassed that of China. This time I didn’t get a gold medal, only 1 silver medal and 2 bronze medals. The total number of medals in China has reached 69, while India has only three.

Therefore, it depends on the overall national strength to compare, and sometimes it is not possible to compare with the same number of people.
    Like the new crown epidemic, the total number of infections in China is only about 100,000, and the number in the United States has reached 36 million, which is 360 times that of China. The infection rate is 10%, 1440 times more than China

Is it an American gold medal, and the total number of medals should be 1440 times that of China?

Fifty years ago, children in the United States could buy new cars by helping people wash their cars part-time. The economy of the United States is much stronger than that of China.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 4th, 2021 at 05:07 AM.

PowerPoster

Greek players "cry poor" want to retire, the birthplace of the Olympic Games has long had no money for sports
    "Maybe for some people I am escaping, but I really can't hold on. I want to return to my family, hug and thank them for their support over the years." 30-year-old Yakovidis He said to the camera that his life during the preparations for the Tokyo Olympics was extremely difficult, and he was only able to receive a subsidy income of 200 euros from the Greek Weightlifting Federation every month, which made him completely unable to compete with opponents who have professional training teams and do not have to worry about their livelihoods. compete.

The athlete who gave up his medical research career in preparation for the Olympics also hopes that the Greek government can support his country's Olympic athletes. "I spend 330 days a year at the Schoonias training center. I cannot see my family and friends. From morning to night, I only train and sleep. This kind of life is not easy for everyone. I hope to win glory for the country, but I also I hope the country can support me." Ntuscos said.

The Greek rhythmic gymnast Petronias, who has won three world championships and the Rio Olympics champion, also stated in April 2021 that he and his gymnastic teammates have not received state subsidies for "seven months." .
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 4th, 2021 at 05:27 AM.

PowerPoster

The economic crisis in Greece and the reduction in services of sports federations have also reduced people's interest in sports, forming a vicious circle, making fewer and fewer young people willing to engage in sports.

When the Greek Sports Minister announced the subsidy reduction plan in 2010, “Sports is an investment. We cannot provide funds to all 5,000 federations. We can only provide funds to 300-400 federations that are creating economic benefits.”

From 2013 to 2016, the average annual income of the International Olympic Committee was US$1.74 billion, but athletes only got 4.1% from that.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 4th, 2021 at 05:38 AM.

PowerPoster

The US "Financial Times" published a report on the training funds for athletes during the 2012 London Olympics. The report pointed out that five sports are the top five training funds, namely equestrian, sailing, shooting, swimming and gymnastics. In order to cultivate top athletes, the country needs to spend 120,000 to 9.69 million yuan on athletes in each event every year. The Olympic Games are held every four years, which means that to train an equestrian athlete to participate in the Olympic Games, the country needs to pay a maximum of more than 38 million yuan, and a minimum of 480,000 yuan.

PowerPoster

Russia has inherited most of the mantle of the Soviet Union. Today Russia has long lost its spirit. It can also be seen from the "Science" experimental cabin. This is a backup of the "Dawn" core cabin built in 1995. It was originally It was to be launched as an experimental capsule in 2007, and it was delayed until 2021 before launching into space, and it finally crashed into the International Space Station, almost causing an emergency escape for 7 astronauts. The "Orel" attack nuclear submarine stalled in full view, which made people once again see the unreliable side of Russian equipment. If stalls occur underwater, it may be another "Kursk" nuclear submarine accident. .

PowerPoster

Russia is holding on to confrontation with European, American and Western countries. Today's Russian economy can only compete with Guangdong, but it is very risky to maintain the world's second largest military power.

PowerPoster

I was watching the Olympic Race Walking yesterday. This was a 50K race in the Tokyo heat and humidity. These guys were in a lot of pain but I couldn't stop snickering because I thought the way they walked was hilarious. Shame on me. lol

I got the mentality of a 10yr old. Unfortunately I got the body of a 70yr old.

PowerPoster

Speed-walking requires an odd "hip swinging" gate in order to be fast. Ages ago I would do it for a bit here and there while out for a walk, but always felt super self conscious because of how dumb I figured I looked.

Yeah, it's a very fast, but very weird style of walking. People who can do that walk can be really fast and I think they end up being super energy efficient with their walking....but it's sure hard not to laugh. I can't do it, though. I tried, and I'm just not loose enough.

PowerPoster

I'm really Not Sure what the attraction is. It all looks like:

Now THAT could be an Olympic sport.

PowerPoster

Italy's Stano, who won the men's 20-kilometer race walking championship, said that this was his first world championship, and he even thought it was a little unbelievable, especially when the Japanese and Chinese players won the gold medal.

There was once an Olympic women's walking race. The main athletes of China were sent off early, and reporters and delegations left the scene. The Chinese team also has a female athlete following the other players, following closely. In the end, two other players from other countries were also sent off. In the end, the Chinese team won the gold medal, but the national flag and reporters used to win the prize were all missing from the delegation. No one put her red or five-star red flag. She could only walk around the stadium alone.

Sometimes a player who is too strong is easy to start, walk too fast or walk crookedly and foul.
    There is also an air rifle shooting competition. There was once an American athlete who failed to win a gold medal in the 3 Olympic Games. Every time, he was absolutely ahead. The last shot would be able to win the championship as long as he played normally. Unfortunately, the last shot was always under too much psychological pressure, played abnormally, and shot the bullet to someone else's target.

Sometimes the Olympic Games require robots to conduct refereeing to prevent the referees from penalizing certain countries maliciously and unfairly, and many times they have been illegally deducted points, even the strongest athletes may not get the bronze medal.
    This, coupled with the athlete's mentality, will give new athletes a greater chance of winning the championship.

Some athletes won silver and bronze medals last time, but they want to win gold medals next time. The third time to participate is even more stressful, because it is very likely that the epidemic will be withdrawn. More new players want to replace him. Because only two people can participate in each event, many times participated in the Olympic Games but failed to get the gold or silver medals, occupying the quota but not giving honor to the national team, taking the opportunity of newcomers to occupy.

Here is an updated tally that includes the top 5:
    Team Gold Count Silver Count Bronze Count Total
    United States of America
    People's Republic of China
    Japan
    Great Britain
    Russian Olympic Committee
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

Yeah, Great Britain had an excellent Olympics. Think they're @ 60 million population, 22 Gold, 65 medals. Impressive.

I realize the wealth of a country makes a big difference. I have no idea how many they normally get in the summer game, maybe this is actually a bad result. lol

Unless something changed I believe this is the first time in the modern Olympics era that the USA hasn't won a gold in a Track (running) event.

I enjoyed the games.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Aug 8th, 2021 at 10:20 PM.

Yeah, Great Britain had an excellent Olympics. Think they're @ 60 million population, 22 Gold, 65 medals. Impressive.
    Yeah we do a pretty decent job of funding our Olympic sports on the whole. We have a funding arrangement based upon success at previous Olympics, and I think medal potential.

More recently they have started to take into account accessibility of sports to the general public and number of kids and young people actually playing the sports in funding decisions which I think is a good thing.

After Atlanta where GB had a Terrible Olympics we changed the way we Funded Olympic sports and since then have done similarly well at the last 4 games at least.

Yes of course money talks, proper Funding allows you to hire top coaches as well which I am sure is a big part of any success, its no accident that many of the countries at the the top of the medal tables are wealthy countries.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Unless something changed I believe this is the first time in the modern Olympics era that the USA hasn't won a gold in a Track (running) event.
    USA Women won a couple of golds, Sydney McLaughlin won 400m Hurdles, and Athing Mu won the 800M, but non for the USA men which must be a first for some time.

PowerPoster

Yesterday I saw that many countries used stimulants and related drugs and foods in the past. In the previous sports games, they used super running shoes, and the long-distance marathon was much easier. Therefore, the rules were changed later to prohibit the use of this kind of running shoes, but countries with good economic conditions will buy more advanced shoes and other sportswear products.
    Success is definitely inseparable from money. It is difficult for poor countries to get medals for athletes, and it is difficult for bronze medals. No. 3 in the world, do you think anyone can do it?

PowerPoster

There are 60 million people in the UK and 22 gold medals. If it has a population of 600 million, it can’t be 220 gold medals?
    1.4 billion population = 600 gold medals?

Only two people can participate in each project, and it is impossible to win so many gold medals. However, rich countries have more talents and more physically strong people. If a country doesn't have enough money to eat, and it is desperately making money to support the family every day, how can there be so much time and energy to participate in athletes. Diving, kayaking, equestrian shows and many other items are expensive. The game of the rich. There are a lot of costs such as training venues are very expensive.
    Moreover, if you can’t get a medal, it’s equivalent to spending all your money in vain. If a country, like India, only has 7 medals for 1.3 billion people, if every event is trained with high standards, the country may It’s a waste to spend tens of billions of dollars in training and other expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    Only two people can participate in each project,
    You keep saying that... I'm not sure where you got that from but it isn't completely accurate.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Moreover, if you can’t get a medal, it’s equivalent to spending all your money in vain.
    Not to the athletes. Plus I think they inspire some of those who watch.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    USA Women won a couple of golds, Sydney McLaughlin won 400m Hurdles, and Athing Mu won the 800M, but non for the USA men which must be a first for some time.
    Yeah, I was talking about the men's team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast