Thread: [RESOLVED] Data not inserted in the Database

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Data not inserted in the Database

Hi,

The following code executes without error but refreshing the database record not inserted. It does tell me that 'New Tenant has been added'

Code:
      Dim command As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO dbo.tbltenants (firstName, lastName, tenantfullname, telephone, email, nationalid, copyID) VALUES (@firstName, @lastName, @tenantfullname, @telephone, @email, @nationalid, @copyID)", conn)

Dim ms As New MemoryStream
                    PictureBox1.Image.Save(ms, PictureBox1.Image.RawFormat)

command.Parameters.Add("@firstname", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = TxtFName.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@lastname", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = TxtLName.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@tenantfullname", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = TxtFName.Text & " " & TxtLName.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@telephone", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = TxtTel.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@email", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = TxtEmail.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@nationalID", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = TxtNationalID.Text
                    command.Parameters.Add("@copyID", SqlDbType.Image).Value = ms.ToArray()

'    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
                'Catch ex As Exception
                '    MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Information, "RCMS")
                'End Try

MsgBox("New Tenant has been added", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "RCMS")
                Me.Close()

End If

conn.Close()
            conn.Dispose()

End Sub
    At the start of the Dub I have:

Code:
            Dim conn As SqlConnection = GetDbConnection()
            Dim query As String
            Dim cmd As New SqlCommand
    Where am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Re: Data not inserted in the Database

In the code you posted, you have the cmd.ExecuteNonQuery commented out, which would mean that nothing ever happens. I'm kind of thinking that was just an error in this question, but it's certainly a problem if that's your actual code.

If you ARE calling the cmd.ExecuteNonQuery command, that will return an integer showing the number of records impacted. In this case, it should return 1. If it is returning 1, then the record was added. If you still aren't seeing it after that, then it is because you are looking in the wrong place. There are a few ways that can happen, but first make sure that you are actually calling the ExecuteNonQuery, and that it is returning 1.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Re: Data not inserted in the Database

Thanks Sorted!