Changing a field length and its values in VB.NET

Hi all.
    Consider a field of variables like below:
    Code:
        Private Sendcmd() As Byte

Public Sub New()
            InitializeComponent()
        End Sub
    There is a NumericUpDown control (called SendLenght) which determines Sendcmd length i.e. from 1 to 64.
    By clicking a button, filling Sendcmd with NumericUpDown values from 1 to current value of SendLenght. (There are 64 NumericUpDown maximum)

How can I do such thing in VB.NET?
    I tried for loop as shown below but I suspected an array or collection making is required.
    Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim NumericUpDown As NumericUpDown() = {NumericUpDown1, NumericUpDown2, NumericUpDown3, NumericUpDown4, NumericUpDown5, NumericUpDown6, NumericUpDown7, NumericUpDown8, NumericUpDown9, NumericUpDown10, NumericUpDown11, NumericUpDown12, NumericUpDown13, NumericUpDown14, NumericUpDown15, NumericUpDown16, NumericUpDown17, NumericUpDown18, NumericUpDown19, NumericUpDown20, NumericUpDown21, NumericUpDown22, NumericUpDown23, NumericUpDown24, NumericUpDown25, NumericUpDown26, NumericUpDown27, NumericUpDown28, NumericUpDown29, NumericUpDown30, NumericUpDown31, NumericUpDown32, NumericUpDown33, NumericUpDown34, NumericUpDown35, NumericUpDown36, NumericUpDown37, NumericUpDown38, NumericUpDown39, NumericUpDown40, NumericUpDown41, NumericUpDown42, NumericUpDown43, NumericUpDown44, NumericUpDown45, NumericUpDown46, NumericUpDown47, NumericUpDown48, NumericUpDown49, NumericUpDown50, NumericUpDown51, NumericUpDown52, NumericUpDown53, NumericUpDown54, NumericUpDown55, NumericUpDown56, NumericUpDown57, NumericUpDown58, NumericUpDown59, NumericUpDown60, NumericUpDown61, NumericUpDown62, NumericUpDown63, NumericUpDown64}
            For i As Decimal = 1 To SendLenght.Value
                Sendcmd(i - 1)=Sendcmd(i - 1) {NumericUpDown i - 1}   '<-- End of statement expected error to this line
            Next
        End Sub
    Thanks in advanced.

For SendLenght.Value = 1
    Code:
    Sendcmd(1) = {NumericUpDown1.Value}
    For SendLenght.Value = 2
    Code:
    Sendcmd(2) = {NumericUpDown1.Value, NumericUpDown2.Value}
    For SendLenght.Value = 10
    Code:
    Sendcmd(10) = {NumericUpDown1.Value, NumericUpDown2.Value, NumericUpDown3.Value, NumericUpDown4.Value, NumericUpDown5.Value, NumericUpDown6.Value, NumericUpDown7.Value, NumericUpDown8.Value, NumericUpDown9.Value, NumericUpDown10.Value}
    Last edited by pourkascheff; Jul 17th, 2021 at 06:01 AM.

Re: Changing a field length and its values in VB.NET

LINQ is your friend.
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Dim count = CInt(SendLenght.Value)
    3. Sendcmd = Controls.OfType(Of NumericUpDown)().
    4.                    Where(Function(nud) nud.Name.StartsWith("NumericUpDown")).
    5.                    Take(count).
    6.                    Select(Function(nud) CByte(nud.Value)).
    7.                    ToArray()
    The first line gets the number of NUDs to include based on the first NUD. The second line first gets all the NUDs on the form in z-order, then excludes all those whose name doesn't start with "NumericUpDown", then excludes those not within the count determined earlier, then converts the Value of those remaining into Bytes and then puts those Bytes into an array.

That assumes that the z-order of the NumericUpDown controls matches the order of the numeric suffix on the name. If you didn't change the default names then that will be the case. Also, be aware that that is creating a new array object each time.

Note that, rather than using that Where call, you could put all the NUDs you do want to include and no others onto a Panel, then use the Controls collection of that Panel. As there would be no other NUD controls in the collection, no filter would be required. If there were no other controls in the Panel at all then, while OfType would still work, Cast would be more appropriate:
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Sendcmd = Panel1.Controls.
    2.                  Cast(Of NumericUpDown)().
    3.                  Take(count).
    4.                  Select(Function(nud) CByte(nud.Value)).
    5.                  ToArray()

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

wow. too much information to digest. please wait for one more try or two to give a proper feedback. Even docs.microsoft LINQ page looks like new with weird titles. Another linq page is also interesting but I'm very new to this concept.

LINQ is basically a way to perform SQL-like queries in .NET code. It doesn't achieve anything that you can't do without LINQ but it can make a lot of code more succinct - often much more succinct. Primarily, LINQ can compress loops to a single statement. The code in post #2 could be written old-school style like this:
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Dim upperBound = CInt(SendLenght.Value) - 1
    3. ReDim Sendcmd(upperBound)
    5. For i = 0 To upperBound
    6.     Dim nud = DirectCast(Controls("NumericUpDown" & (i + 1)), NumericUpDown)
    8.     Sendcmd(i) = CByte(nud.Value)
    9. Next