Thread: Making VB software in WINE in 32-bit linux that works with 64-bit windows 10

Making VB software in WINE in 32-bit linux that works with 64-bit windows 10

I don't know how to title my post, but here is my dilemma.

I created new software that works for MS-DOS in order to make an old game alive again through today's networks.

I want to make an installer software with any version of Visual Basic 6 and under and have it work with Windows 10.

My Computer is 32-bit and runs Linux. I currently run Windows programs through Wine (Windows emulation program for linux).

This is what I tried so far:

If I try to install Visual Basic 4 32-bit, I get some setup error (Same one someone else reported on this page: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...rsion&iId=2413 )

I then tried Visual Basic 5. The install was ok, but when I went on to type some special character combinations (alpha-numeric) in the code window, the whole Visual Basic 5 crashes.

Now get a load of this:

Visual Basic 3 works nicely with WINE, but the problem is if I make an EXE with it and try it on a windows 10 computer, it won't work as-is because the EXE is a 16-bit and I don't want to have to make users download extra utilities for windows 10 just to run my visual basic setup program.

I want to make my setup program in VB but this compatibility bit is throwing my progress off and I don't want to have to find a full-blown copy of Windows just to make a setup program in VB.

So what am I to do here?

PowerPoster

Re: Making VB software in WINE in 32-bit linux that works with 64-bit windows 10

Visual Basic 6 programs run under 10. I would not bother with any of the prior versions but if you are just doing a setup program do you even need to use VB at all?

Re: Making VB software in WINE in 32-bit linux that works with 64-bit windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Visual Basic 6 programs run under 10. I would not bother with any of the prior versions but if you are just doing a setup program do you even need to use VB at all?
    Yes because it is my own custom setup program. I would assume that windows 10 would be shipped with the necessary libraries to run VB6 programs.

I guess I'll try VB6 and see what happens even though other people had some funny experiences with it while running in wine emulator

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ersion&iId=130

Or use FreePascal/Lazarus.
    Develop natively on Linux, choose Target (Windows), hit compile, move exe to Windows-Computer, run
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

ok so I tried VB6 and that crashed just like VB5 did.
    Pascal means learning another language. Then again I can do C++ programming in linux

Frenzied Member

you might have better luck running vb6 apps in WINE but running the entire IDE is problamatic.
    I have heard of guys saying it worked with setup / work arounds
    when it failed for me I just decided it wasnt ready yet. there is still the VM approach.

PowerPoster

I still don't understand why VB6 if what you are doing is a setup program? Even VB6 programs typically use a setup program. There are many installers out there that may work even one that comes with VB5 and 6.

What is it this program actually needs to do?

I too am confused as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish. You say your computer runs Linux, but you are trying to make a setup program for Windows 10 to allow an MS-DOS game to work? A detailed description of exactly what you are trying to accomplish would be most helpful, rather than a description of how you are trying to accomplish it.
    Last edited by jdc2000; Jul 14th, 2021 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I too am confused as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish. You say your computer runs Linux, but you are trying to make a setup program for Widows 10 to allow an MS-DOS game to work? A detailed description of exactly what you are trying to accomplish would be most helpful, rather than a description of how you are trying to accomplish it.
    Yes.
    What I want to do is attach a compressed archive to my setup program then when the program launches, it shows the game pictures and then extracts the game utilities including a DOS emulator (since windows now a days can't run real dos anymore). I can easily make the program in Visual Basic no problem if I still had windows, but I don't.

In a sense its almost like a self-extracting archive program except it would be more decorative with an option to run a script after extraction is complete.

It might be possible to create a VBScript to perform the same functions. You could post the code you are using in VB6 here to see if anyone has any suggestions about converting it to VBScript.

Or, you could install a copy of Windows 10 on a VM in Linux:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...linux-machine/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...-machine-linux

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-...tualbox-linux/