Thread: Russian hackers target developer's Microsoft account

Russian hackers target developer's Microsoft account

I recently got blocked (temporarily) from my Microsoft account due to hacker activity from Russia and Kazakhstan. Several attempts failed with incorrect password, but I don't suspect these are brute force attempts. Those must be old passwords that were harvested somewhere.

Does anyone else have any suspicious activity (listed in security tab) on their Microsoft account?
    Image attached with IP's. Name:  RussianHackb.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  15.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frenzied Member

Re: Russian hackers target developer's Microsoft account

Okay, that's really annoying. It looks like your image got resized and it's too small too read the text. Also, why are you posting about a personal technical issue in Chit/Chat? Are you asking for help or do you want to chat about hacker activity and their effects on others?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Okay, that's really annoying. It looks like your image got resized and it's too small too read the text. Also, why are you posting about a personal technical issue in Chit/Chat? Are you asking for help or do you want to chat about hacker activity and their effects on others?
    Likewise, I'm annoyed. No idea about the image re-sizing, apparently you can't upload images in chat, idk. Why are you asking me what my question is, when I posted a very specific question... Where else would I post this question... If there are other forum members experiencing hacks from Russia, then there may be a pattern HERE to be traced. The only Russian hackers I know are here.

IP's from Chrome browser

PowerPoster

General PC?

Seems reasonable to be in Chit-Chat. General Developer could also be reasonable, if you wanted to try to make it a more technical discussion, but the subject of Russian hacks is currently an unfortunately broad one. I haven't seen that, nor would I really expect to. I would guess that they are probing so many places so often that this amounts to random noise. I agree that they probably got some old credentials and are trying them out, probably in a variety of locations.

Images often get shrunken on the forum, but I can read the first one just fine.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    General PC?
    It is likely that posting in General PC would get the same ignorant results.

Frenzied Member

Okay, I am sorry about not noticing your question. To give a belated answer, no I have not noticed anything suspicious with my Microsoft account.

Frenzied Member

Okay, I am going to have take my own words back. After checking my security tab, I did see a few failed sign-in attempts from places that were most definitively not me. South Africa/United States.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Jul 6th, 2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: I need to provide more useful information.

Unsuccessful login on 6/14 from the Ukraine... and on 6/18 from Thailand...
    I should check in on it more often...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

no problem on mine but I don't use it really. Only for the license of VS 2017 community.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)