Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does VB6 work in Windows 11? YES

Cool Does VB6 work in Windows 11? YES

Hi everyone.

Well, I'm testing Windows 11 build 21996.1 with VB6 SP6 with GUI Mainfest and works perfect! (API, OCX, ADO, etc.)

Images from an old proyect with API, SQL Server remote connection, orthography corrector and Codejock OCX:

Re: Does VB6 work in Windows 11? YES

Quote Originally Posted by AthlonArg View Post
    Hi everyone.

Well, I'm testing Windows 11 build 21996.1 with VB6 SP6 with GUI Mainfest and works perfect! (API, OCX, ADO, etc.)

Images from an old proyect with API, SQL Server remote connection, orthography corrector and Codejock OCX:

I would have expected that to work (binaries). Can you install the VB 6.0 environment and compile it from there?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I would have expected that to work (binaries). Can you install the VB 6.0 environment and compile it from there?
    Yes, Is totally functional

We had to jump through hoops to install VB 6.0 on Windows 10. Were there any issues installing it on Windows 11?

Addicted Member

I'm not really concerned if the IDE doesn't function, I can use a previous Windows version for development. More concerned that the compiled exe and support files run without issue.....

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SomeYguy View Post
    I can use a previous Windows version for development.
    How can you troubleshoot any problem that could happen on current Windows versions using an old Windows version for the IDE?

Compile, carry to the other machine and test each change made almost blindly?

We had to jump through hoops to install VB 6.0 on Windows 10. Were there any issues installing it on Windows 11?
    Same installation as Win10, move STF files and don't install Data Access, Analyzer and DAO

I'm not really concerned if the IDE doesn't function, I can use a previous Windows version for development. More concerned that the compiled exe and support files run without issue.....
    All my EXEs was compilated without errors

Last edited by AthlonArg; Jun 21st, 2021 at 06:21 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    How can you troubleshoot any problem that could happen on current Windows versions using an old Windows version for the IDE?

Compile, carry to the other machine and test each change made almost blindly?
    Sad but true I'm afraid. I've gone to great lengths to write every one of my programs to be as self contained and dependency free as possible in order to (hopefully) minimize potential future OS errors, but one can of course never tell. So if the IDE didn't run on Win 11 but my compiled applications do so without issue then I'm okay with that so long as I can test changes as you say. But since the IDE apparently does run okay then cool! That's icing on the cake .

PowerPoster

Sad but true I'm afraid. I've gone to great lengths to write every one of my programs to be as self contained and dependency free as possible in order to (hopefully) minimize potential future OS errors, but one can of course never tell. So if the IDE didn't run on Win 11 but my compiled applications do so without issue then I'm okay with that so long as I can test changes as you say. But since the IDE apparently does run okay then cool! That's icing on the cake .
    The point was that it is important to be able to run the IDE on the target OS.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    The point was that it is important to be able to run the IDE on the target OS.
    Yup, I got that.

Have there been any version updates for msvbvm60.dll?

I haven't installed win11 yet.

I'm changing the position of the project explorer and other containers, when I close and restart VB6 the position goes back to default.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    I'm changing the position of the project explorer and other containers, when I close and restart VB6 the position goes back to default.
    Interesting. I don't yet have Windows 11 but I would think that the VB6 IDE stores its settings in the registry perhaps? If so then I'm not sure why it wouild change with Win 11......

registry images: Win10 and Win11

On win11 could not enter some keys
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Is there some certificate problem because VB6 Web browser component does work with most websites but not all.

For example www.google.com works normally, but www.nasdaq.com does not work at all.

Both work if Windows version is 10.

For housekeeping purposes

VB6 runs perfectly in Windows 11
    1. Copy the contents of the entire c:\VB6\Setup folder to c:\VB6 or c:\temp [NB: avoid installing from other drives]
    2. ONLY 2 Files needed:
    Copy the following two files to relevant folders
    > SETUPWIZ.INI [to the Setup folder]; and
    > VS98ENT.STF [to the folder which contains AUTORUN.INF]

OR

you can get these 2 files from here [just click this line] + detailed content

LucasMKG
    ....still loading ../.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LucasMKG; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 04:45 AM.

I installed VB6 Pro normally, just disabled data access ...

Edit: But another way to install is always welcome.
    Last edited by Episcopal; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 07:38 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm using VB6 IDE in Windows 11 (as I did also in Windows 10).
    But I upgraded Windows 10, VB6 was already installed, so I still didn't have to install it on Windows 11 but I guess it would be the same as it was to install on Windows 10.

Fanatic Member

Here, for those who haven't seen it, is Microsoft's Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows...

Microsoft Visual Basic 6 support policy

Windows 11 (and Windows Server 2022) are included.

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    Here, for those who haven't seen it, is Microsoft's Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows...

Microsoft Visual Basic 6 support policy

Windows 11 (and Windows Server 2022) are included.
    hummm .... until a few days ago win2022 was not included. Glad he went even further.

Frenzied Member

Considering the time spread between OS releases, that buys us another 3 - 6 years of *whew!*.

According to MS, we could expect 10 years.

"This lifetime is five years of mainstream support and five years of extended support from the time that a given version of Windows ships. "
    My legacy VB6 apps need to outlast either myself or all my clients that use them. ;-)
    Last edited by webbiz; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:22 AM.

Lively Member

While I was able to install VB6 on Win11 easily and with no problems and the IDE seems fine, I am running into issues with "porting" code over to Win11.

For example, I have an program I've been working with for years. If I copy the project directory from 10 to 11 and load the project into VB6, it throws errors, mostly having to do with some ocx files not loading, even though I verify the files are where VB6 is looking for them and they are registered with the system

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    registry images: Win10 and Win11

On win11 could not enter some keys
    Problem solved in version 358 of win11.

Fanatic Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I can sell my apps another 6-10 year more!.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
    While I was able to install VB6 on Win11 easily and with no problems and the IDE seems fine, I am running into issues with "porting" code over to Win11.

For example, I have an program I've been working with for years. If I copy the project directory from 10 to 11 and load the project into VB6, it throws errors, mostly having to do with some ocx files not loading, even though I verify the files are where VB6 is looking for them and they are registered with the system
    If it's the same issue that's been causing that for me when I migrated from 7 to 10 recently, click yes to continue loading project, just don't touch anything, immediately re-add the objects though the Components or References, exit saving only changes to the .vbp, and reload the project. Then all is well.

Side note, even if there's issues with open sourcing VB6 as a whole... why not open source msvbvm60.dll? If Microsoft did that, the community could presumably maintain compatibility for compiled projects ourselves.

Words cannot express the disappointment of not finding the source to that DLL anywhere in the massive source leak. Wasn't expecting the IDE obviously, but the runtime? Damn. Hackers need to get on that.

(That said, even just the XP/2003/NT4/2000 sources have been a huge boon for troubleshooting things not working in VB and figuring out what some undocumented stuff did)
    Last edited by fafalone; Feb 25th, 2022 at 08:07 PM.

PowerPoster

What I do is to start the IDE as admin with the project that I want.
    If the ocx/dlls are in Syswow64 no problem, it finds them and creates the oca files.
    If I get an error then cancel the load and/or close without saving.
    I open the *.vbp file with Notepad and see what components it uses.
    Then open the IDE as admin with a new project, and go to where those components files are and register them one by one from the Component and References menus.
    Close that new project without saving and now you are ready to open your actual project, with or without admin rights.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post

Side note, even if there's issues with open sourcing VB6 as a whole... why not open source msvbvm60.dll? If Microsoft did that, the community could presumably maintain compatibility for compiled projects ourselves.

Words cannot express the disappointment of not finding the source to that DLL anywhere in the massive source leak. Wasn't expecting the IDE obviously, but the runtime? Damn. Hackers need to get on that.

(That said, even just the XP/2003/NT4/2000 sources have been a huge boon for troubleshooting things not working in VB and figuring out what some undocumented stuff did)
    IMO, since VB6 contains a lot of Microsoft's core technologies that are far more valuable than Microsoft's other products, Microsoft will probably never open source VB6 unless Microsoft drops Office entirely.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 26th, 2022 at 02:45 PM.

Lively Member

Friends,

I have installed the VB 6.0 in Windows 11 successfully.

I am facing 3 issues.

1. When I open the project, system shows the "Error during load. Refer....xxx.log for details". It shows all my forms. Please help me to fix the issue.

2. Compile Error, Cannot find project or Library. It throwing error in this line, rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    Note : This error showing in Windows 11 only. Earlier I was used in Windows 7. No error. In project references earlier it was added "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library".

3. Even Trim() function also throws Compile Error, Cannot find project or Library Error.

In addition, While searching SP6, I have found this file "VB60SP6-KB2708437-x86-ENU.exe" and installed. But nothing changed.

Please help to fix the above issues.

Thanks & Regards,
    Guna

Quote Originally Posted by gunapriyan View Post
    Friends,

I have installed the VB 6.0 in Windows 11 successfully.

I am facing 3 issues.

1. When I open the project, system shows the "Error during load. Refer....xxx.log for details". It shows all my forms. Please help me to fix the issue.

Open up the log file and post what the error is. It will be in the project folder as something like Form1.log. My guess is you have unresolved references.

2. Compile Error, Cannot find project or Library. It throwing error in this line, rs.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    Note : This error showing in Windows 11 only. Earlier I was used in Windows 7. No error. In project references earlier it was added "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library".

You may need the reference Microsoft ActiveX data objects 6.0 backcompat library.

3. Even Trim() function also throws Compile Error, Cannot find project or Library Error.

In addition, While searching SP6, I have found this file "VB60SP6-KB2708437-x86-ENU.exe" and installed. But nothing changed.

My guess is you have unresolved references.

Please help to fix the above issues.

Thanks & Regards,
    Guna
    Answers between questions.

Lively Member

Answers between questions.

Sir,

Thanks for your reply. But problem still there sir.

I have downloaded the msado60_Backcompat_i386.tbl library and loaded into VB Project reference. I hope that i had downloaded wrong library. Please guide me to download the correct library. But still compile error showing.

Name:  Error-1.jpg
Views: 7196
Size:  30.2 KB

Please find the attachment sir. But still compile error showing sir.

Please help me sir.

Thanks sir.

Attachment 184654
    Last edited by gunapriyan; Apr 18th, 2022 at 06:32 AM.

Does anyone successfully installed the vb6 service pack 6?
    After running setupsp6.exe, the following error appears:
    Visual studio 6.0 service pack 6 setup was not completed successfully.

PowerPoster

Did you run it as administrator from the default directory?

Also sometimes it updates files but just a few things at the end fail they may or may not be strictly neccessary; did you check the About box in VB6 to see if the files were actually updated?

Try install it yourself.
    There is no description for the sp6 when showing the about box in the ide.
    And vb6 crash immediately and disappear when run.

I no longer find in the control panel the uninstall of visual studio 6. Does anyone have same problem? I also install other version of visual studio like blend for visual studio and visual studio 2022 etc and these are found.
    Also the command line of
    setup /U /R
    does not clear up the existing ocpy of visual studio 6.

Lively Member

I can not get it to install in Windows 11. I have found that if the computer had Windows 10 on it and VB6 installed on it before updating it works.

I have a brand new computer with Windows 11 and the IDE will not install. It goes through all the motions until the last "Click to install" and then returns a pop-up window that just states "Visual Basic cannot install" - no damn details.

Dave

then YOU are doing something wrong. there are lots of threads about this, and many show you HOW to successfully install VB6 and SP6 on win7, 8, 10 and 11.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    then YOU are doing something wrong. there are lots of threads about this, and many show you HOW to successfully install VB6 and SP6 on win7, 8, 10 and 11.
    Well, I do not know what that is. Running setup in Windows XP SP3 mode, as administrator. Since first entering my license key, I had selected "Typical", which I grant you, I know now is wrong. When I try to re-install, it no longer gives me that option, apparently thinking I already selected it. I do not know how to treat it as a fresh install. I search the registry and really didn't find any keys that may show that an installation of it is in progress, but I really do not know what to search for.

As I said, I installed it several times under Windows 10 without issue.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast