Thread: open source assembly language

Addicted Member

open source assembly language

is there any language made in open source assembly and fast script development?

where I just put my script files and the assembly interpreter point them and do it.

Frenzied Member

Re: open source assembly language

This question makes no sense. What are you looking for? An open source assembler?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    This question makes no sense. What are you looking for? An open source assembler?
    some language made in direct and fast expression assembly to build a mini OS that doesn't need to compile is script and the language calls the files I wrote and translates to machine. that allows fast low level development in a simpler way, I'm out of time lately to continue C and assembly I just know enough to create simple linux programs with gtk.

Quote Originally Posted by LiwisJames View Post
    some language made in direct and fast expression assembly to build a mini OS that doesn't need to compile is script and the language calls the files I wrote and translates to machine. that allows fast low level development in a simpler way, I'm out of time lately to continue C and assembly I just know enough to create simple linux programs with gtk.
    Given your recent swathe of questions I would say the first two things I would ask are 1) do you really know what an OS is? and 2) do you really know what assembly language is?

If you are building an OS then there is absolutely nothing there to interpret your scripts etc until you have built the OS. That is going to require a significant amount of low level coding before you can even think about creating your own scripting language that runs on top of the OS itself.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Given your recent swathe of questions I would say the first two things I would ask are 1) do you really know what an OS is? and 2) do you really know what assembly language is?

If you are building an OS then there is absolutely nothing there to interpret your scripts etc until you have built the OS. That is going to require a significant amount of low level coding before you can even think about creating your own scripting language that runs on top of the OS itself.
    yes, i know what is one and a script language but i wanted something similar to the basic ROM which are codes above the assembly running on chip where i could build my OS a simpler coding base because i build it from scratch either in assembly or C it would take a long time. however ROM basic started the chip read its code and it's ready.

Frenzied Member

lewisjames, forgive me for going off-topic and having to repeat myself:

Your answer doesn’t really make sense. No offense, after reading several posts by you, but I think there is a language barrier here. I don’t speak chinese or whatever your native language is.

Addicted Member

lewisjames, forgive me for going off-topic and having to repeat myself:

Your answer doesn’t really make sense. No offense, after reading several posts by you, but I think there is a language barrier here. I don’t speak chinese or whatever your native language is.
    well i speak fluent english but i have always been told that however much i learn we will never understand your native thoughts, but you and the forum members always answer my questions so i am grateful.

I will try to define it more clearly now:
    An alternate language version for building a tiny or floppy Operating System like C or Assembly or Ruby versions. That are not compiled or autorun.

Frenzied Member

Well, I am glad you're grateful. You're welcome. Put some effort into it and you will understand my "native thoughts" I am not an alien. :-)

MS-DOS, a very light Linux distro, or CP/M should work.

https://schorn.ch/altair.html
    https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-8086-a-20644/

I know there has to be a Linux that runs on a 8086 somewhere... But where?

Have a look at Minix.
    Minix (from "mini-Unix") is a POSIX-compliant (since version 2.0),[9][10] Unix-like operating system based on a microkernel architecture.

Early versions of MINIX were created by Andrew S. Tanenbaum for educational purposes. Starting with MINIX 3, the primary aim of development shifted from education to the creation of a highly reliable and self-healing microkernel OS. MINIX is now developed as open-source software.

MINIX was first released in 1987, with its complete source code made available to universities for study in courses and research. It has been free and open-source software since it was re-licensed under the BSD-3-Clause license in April 2000.[5]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minix

well i speak fluent english but i have always been told that however much i learn we will never understand your native thoughts, but you and the forum members always answer my questions so i am grateful.

I will try to define it more clearly now:
    An alternate language version for building a tiny or floppy Operating System like C or Assembly or Ruby versions. That are not compiled or autorun.
    Any OS will need to operate at at very low level, this will mean compile code down to machine level instructions. There is no alternative to this if you are talking about building your own OS.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    exactly what I need a simple system with potential, it already has basic controls is MSDOS but having infinite capacity goes from those who are mastering the code and modifying, thank you very much I will make it a base, when it starts it will already start a program, and when this closed will turn off the system.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Any OS will need to operate at at very low level, this will mean compile code down to machine level instructions. There is no alternative to this if you are talking about building your own OS.
    Yes, I was thinking of, for example, a language already made in assembly that can read a file in the configured destination, once I made an assembly command that read a file and printed its text.

Frenzied Member

Yes, I was thinking of, for example, a language already made in assembly that can read a file in the configured destination, once I made an assembly command that read a file and printed its text.
    Glad to hear you might have found something to work with in Minix.

I am curious about that "assembly command" you mentioned. Could you share it?

Addicted Member

Glad to hear you might have found something to work with in Minix.

I am curious about that "assembly command" you mentioned. Could you share it?
    I don't have it anymore, but I will recreate it soon and to share it is a little complicated to open external file on boot, but basically it is a txt reader and it has 3 steps.

1) it starts boot.bin
    2) it looks for a boot.cfg file (this file points to scripts)
    3) it executes the pointed file.

basically it reads the pointed .txt script and reads it, then it compares the first 5 characters with an existing db and if it's the same it ignores it makes a jump to the function of that db and reads the rest of the text.

moving the text to AX then running the method it says if it's going to print what's next or if it's going to do something else.

the only problem that so far I have not bothered to elaborate was removing the limitation of 5 characters which in this case is the size of the commands.

I personally created 2:

print here my text to screen print.
    msgbox is a text with border on center screen.

Frenzied Member

You're description has made me curious. Should you recreate it, I would love to have a look. Okay?

Addicted Member

You're description has made me curious. Should you recreate it, I would love to have a look. Okay?
    Yes I will make a post, as I said in some posts on the forum I'm more on .net and I'm looking for linux layers or something that can run in shell above already being something ready that can help me, because to create an OS from scratch is a lot of time needed , so as I've always played with prompts and commands and calls only, I'll redo it, but when it comes to optimization it's not big things since I don't work with performance per se, just with the final result when it comes to assembly.