Thread: Modify System Registry Values

Hyperactive Member

Modify System Registry Values

Hello:

I have come code that reads and changes the system registry values. I am baffled. We have two values that need to change, located in the following two places.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia
    My code only reads and changes the WOW6432Node value, regardless of which one I call to read or write.

Code:
        Private Function ReadArchiveLocation()
            ' For some reason, this action only controls the WOW32 section???
            Dim readValue As String = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia", "ServerLoc", Nothing)

' Dim readValue As String = My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia", "ServerLoc", Nothing)

Return readValue

End Function

Private Function SwitchArchiveServerLocation(_val As String)
            ' For some reason, this action only controls the WOW32 section???
            My.Computer.Registry.SetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia", "ServerLoc", _val, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind.Unknown)
            Shell("rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters", 1, True)

'My.Computer.Registry.SetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases\Sackett-Waconia", "ServerLoc", _val, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind.Unknown)
            'Shell("rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters", 1, True)

InitializeForm()

End Function
    Is it somehow automatically deciding for me, based on the OS (64-bit vs 32-bit)?
    - A 'Hyperactive Member' trying to make a difference in a hyperactive world!

Frenzied Member

Re: Modify System Registry Values

Doesn't this depend on the target CPU you use for your project?

Re: Modify System Registry Values

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Doesn't this depend on the target CPU you use for your project?
    Agreed