Thread: Are users using laptop monitor or larger monitors?

Are users using laptop monitor or larger monitors?

I know this is a stupid question and I apologize but maybe you can tell me if this is even doable/knowable.

My Windows .NET application is for our internal use only and some of the users run on a laptop, others on a "desktop". I personally go back and forth depending on if I am home or in the office. The thing is, I always use my laptop but at home it's standaone and at work it's docked and I have two big, beautiful monitors to display my application data. But it's still a laptop I'm using.

My boss wants some of our forms to be "regular sized" for laptop users and larger for the desktop people who have the real estate. I don't know how to determine this. Can I? Right now I am coding for the least common denominator and that takes away from what the desktop/large monitor people could be able to see if the forms were presented larger.

Thanks if you have any suggestions!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Are users using laptop monitor or larger monitors?

Assuming Windows Forms, the Screen class can tell you how many monitors there are, which is the primary, what their resolutions are and what their bounds are. You can then specify the Bounds of a form such that it appears at the desired location and size on the desired screen. If a user is on a laptop then the primary screen will be the inbuilt screen by default and most users won't change that. If they did though, I don't think the Screen class would indicate that. You'd probably have to get into WMI for that but I doubt that that information is actually important.

Frenzied Member

Re: Are users using laptop monitor or larger monitors?

Assuming Windows Forms, the Screen class can tell you how many monitors there are
    - It can: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...s?view=net-5.0