Thread: Word-based Spell Check hosed by Windows 10 update

Word-based Spell Check hosed by Windows 10 update

Has anyone noticed more breakage of late in legacy VB6 apps from Windows update? Last it month it broke vertical/horizontal scroll bar controls, rendering them non-visible (available this link).

MS did acknowledge and fix this problem with another update, which has now broken my Word-based spell check mechanism, which I use in a legacy VB6 application. It uses OLE Word Application and Word document objects to spell check user input (i.e. commentary). I've used it for years in this legacy app and now has been hosed.

Below is what the Spell Check dialog as launched within the VB6 app should look like:

Name:  working spellcheck dialog..bmp
Views: 403
Size:  419.0 KB

After the May-June 2021 Windows 10 update, that dialog now renders the sentence-word fragment being spell-checked non-visible as shown below, so you can no longer tell what is being spell-checked:

Name:  broken spllecheck dialog.bmp
Views: 268
Size:  397.9 KB

Does anyone else use this this spell checker mechanism and confirm breakage?

Fanatic Member

Re: Word-based Spell Check hosed by Windows 10 update

I'm running latest Win-10 update.
    FWIW I just tried with my Office 97 Word spell check and everything OK.
    May be your Office version or some Win-10 setting.

Thanks for checking. I'm finding the spelling editor within Word (Office 365) works fine. My dev platform is a Win7 VM and works fine, too. The VB app uses Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library in Project References and exhibits the Spellcheck dialog shown above. Only thing I haven't tried yet is rolling back the recent updates, which I doubt the sysadmin isn't going to allow long-term.

PowerPoster

I'm on Windows 10 20H2 build 19043.1052 and I see no such problems. How far behind are you on patches?

My company is still on version 1909. I got no control over that piece. Things were working fine before the last update, except for losing vertical scroll bars a few weeks prior to this incident. The scroll bars then came back with KB003169, but lost my spell check.

PowerPoster

I'm installing 21H1 right now. I'm not sure what to tell you, but they should at least stop on stable releases there.

dil -

Let us know how 21H1 goes for you. I have not yet installed that on any of my machines.

Frenzied Member

Assuming that you are using a TextBox, I stopped using MS Word for spell checking long ago. The spell checking that comes with the InkEdit control works much smoother. There are other problems associated with the InkEdit control, the biggest being the use of CR instead of CRLF. An example of usage can be found here:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....VB6-Ink-Editor

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

Installed quickly, but it is a fairly small update.

So far nothing broken, but I only tested a few things on my "watch for" list and some oddball programs. One that uses the built-in Windows spellcheck in RichEdit windows (Win 8 and later) still works fine, but that's different from trying to parasitize Word and hope the user doesn't close Word on you.