Thread: About some work on this project of mine. Warning some periods of highs and lows

About some work on this project of mine. Warning some periods of highs and lows

Dear VBFormers,

I am working on the project that has some Visual Basic and then also some Shockwave in it. I am using the Shockwave Player ActiveX Control for this app. I get a big red X on the screen, where my Shockwave Movie is meant to appear in the view of the Stage. Also not it was working before i fuddled with the Forum Reading UserControl. Also note this Forum that i am making is actually some what of a News Browser, as such and then the like, even so. Also i need to get the resize handler of the app, right to then work anything of size of monitor, even then so.

!! Thanks in advance !!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Jun 9th, 2021 at 06:13 PM.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Re: About some work on this project of mine. Warning some periods of highs and lows

You really need to scrap shock wave. It is a dead horse.

Re: About some work on this project of mine. Warning some periods of highs and lows

I have many customers asking for it. I gave up on FoxPro 6.00, five years ago and trashed what i knew about it, to the little trash can in the sky, so to speak of it, like that one, so. I have also added a new atttachment of the app, the very one that i need help with, even so.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Here is the updated Windows App of mine, that i am working on, in the here and then the now, like so

plus then also,

!! Thanks in advance !!

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    I am working on the project that has some Visual Basic and then also some Shockwave in it. I am using the Shockwave Player ActiveX Control for this app. I get a big red X on the screen, where my Shockwave Movie is meant to appear in the view of the Stage.
    I know we're all in the habit of ignoring the "VB is going to die!" rhetoric around here; we have been doing it for nearly 20 years, now.
    Flash is different. Flash really is dead.

From Adobe themselves
    Adobe no longer supports Flash Player ... and blocked Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning 12 January 2021
    So no; you really can't fix this. Not with Adobe-provided tools anyway.
    In their defence, it's not as if Adobe didn't give us all fair warning about this - they say that they provided "more than three years’ advance notice" that they were killing off Flash. (Compare that with the "demise.Net" of VB6!)

There is a project called Ruffle, a Flash emulator written in Rust, but that's about as much as I know about it. I would be surprised if they had a Windows [only] COM Control that you could add into a VB application.

Regards, Phill W.

i see, then

The Idiot

flash is not dead.
    but u will need a bit of "work-around" to make it work.
    in windows 10 u need to make the customer run a "uninstaller" https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...aspx?q=4577586
    after that, if he has a new activex he need to uninstall that as well, if unable, use the flash uninstaller. uninstall_flash_player.exe
    after that run a older activex, such as version ax32.0.0.363 as this one doesnt have the kill-switch, (371 is buggy dont use that one)
    when installing 363, u also need to run with compatibility mode windows 7, or it will not install.

PowerPoster

It may be possible to get it to work but why would anyone bother? That is a lot to go through to get an inferior product to work. I personally have never liked flash, always thought of it as slow and resource hungry as well as a potential security risk.

My advice would be do not use it. Remove it from your system and forget it ever existed and definitely to not waste your time creating software that requires your end user to jump through hoops just to get it to work initially.

PowerPoster

Shockwave and Flash were two different plug-ins. He's using Shockwave*, which has been unsupported for even longer than Flash has.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

*I'm going by his own numerous posts about his project over the years and taking him at face value that Shockwave is being used. That said, I've never actually downloaded any of his attachments to examine his code.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jun 11th, 2021 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    flash is not dead.
    but u will need a bit of "work-around" to make it work.
    in windows 10 u need to make the customer run a "uninstaller" https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...aspx?q=4577586
    after that, if he has a new activex he need to uninstall that as well, if unable, use the flash uninstaller. uninstall_flash_player.exe
    after that run a older activex, such as version ax32.0.0.363 as this one doesnt have the kill-switch, (371 is buggy dont use that one)
    when installing 363, u also need to run with compatibility mode windows 7, or it will not install.
    That is a hell of a set of requirements to impose on anyone wanting to use the application, also the first time they run windows update / the flash updater kicks in it will effectively kill flash again anyway.

As far as Adobe, most mainstream browsers, and windows itself is concerned Flash is dead. Trying to keep it working is just going to cause security issues on the destination PCs and ultimately it will be far too easy to accidentally break things anyway.

The Idiot

yeah. its a lot of work.
    but remember that flash has been around for a long time and theres tons of games made from it,
    even online games.
    many people want to be able to run those games.
    for those people, they will gladly follow instructions how to run flash "offline".

also, in the forum/channels Im in, I have helped numerous people and nobody, me included did have issues with windows after using the uninstaller. so its a one-time-thing. sure some people have issue make it work, so its bothersome.
    but, working with flash (in the past) I know theres still people that want to play those flash games, as Im still around in those forums.

PowerPoster

Well.. I guess some people may like flash games, I certainly am not one of them. 20 years ago they seemed like they may have the potential to be cool but they never made it.

Yes i know that, about the flash platforms