Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to Access MySQL Remotely

Re: Unable to Access MySQL Remotely

dday,

what i did then:
    1) Bind_Address in my.ini set to "0.0.0.0"
    2) Create MySQL-User (locally as "root"): UserName: Zvoni - Host: % --> 'Zvoni'@'%'
    3) Still locally as "root": Grant sufficient Rights to that User (in my case, and since i'm a lazy guy, i gave that user "DBA")
    4) Restart MySQL-Server!
    5) Log into the Router, and go to Network-Configuration (might be different name, read the manual for the Router), and open port 3306 for outside access, and forward it to InternalIP.Address.OfMySQLServer Port 3306 (Using another Public Port is still an option, see my other post)
    6) Log out of the Router
    7) Fire up MySQL-Workbench and Use PublicIP-Address of Router and Public Port 3306 (or another, see my other post resp. see above), enter "Zvoni"'s User-Credentials
    8) Start working, you lazy bum.... :-)
    Last edited by Zvoni; Jun 10th, 2021 at 02:13 AM.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    I still haven't seen mention, that the apropriate ports on the Router have been forwarded!!
    And it's the Router serving as the public-IP-Address of the Network the MySQL-Server is a member of (Not the Domain you're using for that WebSite).

Fact: I know that it works, since i did that on our Router / MySQL-Server in the beginning so that i could continue setup from home (No Live-data in the Database at that time)
    So you didn't read post 36?

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5524886

OK, i'll take this IT-guys "translation NAT rule" as port-fowarding

In that case: Yes, i missed/misunderstood that, since i've never heard of port-forwarding being expressed as a "translation NAT rule"
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

@dday - opening a database port on a public server is risky. Can you at least set your filewall to only allow your home IP address in? I am assuming you have a static home IP address, of course.

I do...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Slammer

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @dday - opening a database port on a public server is risky. Can you at least set your filewall to only allow your home IP address in? I am assuming you have a static home IP address, of course.

I do...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_Slammer
    Somewhat addressed in this post:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5524774

Person on the boat will be connecting directly to database, and unless person on the boat has a static IP address (or known possible IP address range), then that's not going to work.

I'm with you on your concern, though. If I were in the mix of getting this set up, it wouldn't involve a direct open port from the outside world to MySQL.

@optionbase1 - then it's VPN tunnel time - open DB ports are not cool, imo

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

That's what I was getting at here:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5524772

The response to that post was the description of the boat in the Gulf of Mexico connecting. I got the impression from the reply that VPN from the boat was also out of the question despite that not being explicitly addressed.

If VPN from the boat is an option, then that is the solution since it has already been established that connecting to MySQL over the VPN through the server's internal IP address is working.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jun 10th, 2021 at 01:12 PM.

PowerPoster

Basically, you don't need to tell me what the best practice is here. I know that. I'm offering assistance to dday who has chosen their own means of getting this working.

Edit: And dday said this:

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    At this point I feel like I've spent more time trying to deploy my projects than I spent actually developing them. I read about the common pitfalls with setting up MySQL to allow for remote access such as the bind-address, users, and firewall issue, thought that I set everything up properly, but it is obvious that I didn't because I can't connect remotely from my VB.NET project.

Plus there's no obvious error that I can go off of to know what to research. At this point, it is just the MySQL remote access issue that is preventing me from 100% being deployed, and it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels.
    I read that as dday has researched and understands the risk of setting this up the way he has decided to. Its no skin off my nose if it blows up down the road.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jun 10th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    That's what I was getting at here:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5524772

The response to that post was the description of the boat in the Gulf of Mexico connecting. I got the impression from the reply that VPN from the boat was also out of the question despite that not being explicitly addressed.

If VPN from the boat is an option, then that is the solution since it has already been established that connecting to MySQL over the VPN through the server's internal IP address is working.
    Perhaps this is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was under the impression that in order to use the VPN that the boat would need to be connected to the internet.

Actually, thinking about it some more who gives a crap if that is the case. They need to be connected to the internet at least once in order to login.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Perhaps this is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was under the impression that in order to use the VPN that the boat would need to be connected to the internet.

Actually, thinking about it some more who gives a crap if that is the case. They need to be connected to the internet at least once in order to login.
    Yes, exactly. If they can connect to your public IP to upload data to your database then they have an internet connection. I should have pushed further much earlier the question of if VPN from the boat was an option. That's my fault for inferring that it wasn't from your reply.

PowerPoster

That being said, if the internet connection on the boat is so intermittent where, for example, the connection works for 20 seconds, then is lost for 5 seconds, then is re-established for 17 seconds, then is lost for 12 seconds, etc., well, good luck with that...

@optionbase1 - I was not trying to educate you on best practice and did not have the time to read all the posts and replies in detail. I apologize if I came off that way!

My post was to David about having an open public DB port. I've interacted with him for quite some time and wanted to give him my two cents on this aspect alone.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @optionbase1 - I was not trying to educate you on best practice and did not have the time to read all the posts and replies in detail. I apologize if I came off that way!

My post was to David about having an open public DB port. I've interacted with him for quite some time and wanted to give him my two cents on this aspect alone.
    No, you're fine. I'm just cranky because its been a week of a historic heat wave here where I live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12