Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Windows 11 coming soon

Re: Windows 11 coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Can I install it on a Sinclair ZX-81?
    Especially on a Sinclair ZX-81

Lol!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

A news here ..... will follow both sides ...

http://www.tecmundo.com.br/software/...es-outubro.htm

okay then
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    I have installed win11 on VMware though VMware does't have win11 option yet. But installation is OK. How to install drivers (ethernet card etc)?
    OK, I got it. I should use the 'Windows 10" instead of the 'Windows 10 x64' or 'Other' options in VMware Workstation 16 Player.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

why put many versions of windows on one machine???

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    why put many versions of windows on one machine???
    VMware Workstation 16 Player supports many versions of Windows, They are not what I installed.

oh okay, then

PowerPoster

If they really wanted to sell people on Windows 11 they would stop bundling the dotNot Fumblework with the OS.

Just waited through 40 minutes while my PC was unusable installing an update that was almost entirely security fixes to that giant attack surface.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If they really wanted to sell people on Windows 11 they would stop bundling the dotNot Fumblework with the OS.

Just waited through 40 minutes while my PC was unusable installing an update that was almost entirely security fixes to that giant attack surface.
    Is that so people can then complain that software written in dotnet needs a large download to install the framework?

The updates to the .NET Framework always seem to take way too much time to install. 20 to 40 minutes is not unusual, and it seems like there are always updates for that component.

PowerPoster

Just waited through 40 minutes while my PC was unusable installing an update
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The updates to the .NET Framework always seem to take way too much time to install. 20 to 40 minutes is not unusual
    I don't understand what you guys are talking about. Most times that Windows makes updates I don't even notice about it.
    It downloads the updates automatically in the background and it takes some seconds sometimes before and after a restart, but no more than a minute.
    40 minutes... I can only think in too old computers, but otherwise IDK what you are talking about.

My system downloads in the background, then i have to install it, then config after a restart, all in fifteen minutes, even so. And that is an old 3.5GHz machine

Even on some of my new, fast computers, after the download of the .NET Framework update completes, it may still take 20 to 40 minutes for the actual installation process to complete. While the installation is in progress, the computer will be slooooow on other tasks. This is not a problem if your computer runs 24/7 and the update occurs when you are not using it.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Even on some of my new, fast computers, after the download of the .NET Framework update completes, it may still take 20 to 40 minutes for the actual installation process to complete. While the installation is in progress, the computer will be slooooow on other tasks. This is not a problem if your computer runs 24/7 and the update occurs when you are not using it.
    Three options: 1) My computer is fast enough, 2) I was lucky that it always did that at times when I wasn't at the computer, 3) It was slower but I didn't notice because I was doing tasks that didn't require much power, like reading web pages or programming on the VB6 IDE.

I have an I5 8th generation (6-cores) with 8 GB RAM and a SSD for disk.

Now that I think, I recall a few times that I noticed it was a little bit slower, not something very noticiable but it might be that it was performing such an update.
    Perhaps with Windows on an HDD it is more noticiable.

It is faster on my computers with SSD OS drives, but still slow.

Here are some features in Window 11 that may be available on Windows 10 but just need activated.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-be...o-enable-them/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I've heard people mention that slowdown. I've never experienced it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

What I had was 40 minutes from "Restart Required" to next logon.

Fanatic Member

What I had was 40 minutes from "Restart Required" to next logon.
    On my VMware, I used 10+ minutes to complete the installation, very fast!

it very depends on the type of clockspeed your chip, runs at to complete the task, i guess so then

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    it very depends on the type of clockspeed your chip, runs at to complete the task, i guess so then
    I think SSD plays a bigger role instead of CPUs. Speed of I/O is the bottleneck in those days.

Also that my older Desktop's 400Gb HDD was running slower than my laptop's 650Gb (or so) HDD. And then that was few weeks before SSD's broke onto the scene. Which i said that i was wanting an SSD they looked at me, as if i was stupid or was ill in the head, or so, even

Fanatic Member

Just installed Windows 11, version 22H2, the 'Quick access' changed back to 'Home'. Look like MS managers are fighting to give their own prefer name

Frenzied Member

[QUOTE=vbrad;5524673]As a vb6 user it's sort of disappointing to think that the best you can hope for from a new Windows is that nothing changes.

Personally I'm totally sick and tired of continual small changes in the W10 auto updates, which often seem to break various apps. At this stage I doubt if I'll change to W11!
    Thanks all !

PowerPoster

I just installed VB6, VS6SP6d, October 2001 MSDN, and my appcompat database (SDB) to virtualize desktop painting and run as admin. So far all looks good.

The only headache I ran into was a USB DVD/CD drive. Worked ok to install VB6 but had fits trying to install MSDN Help. Drive kept disconnecting and reconnecting. I think the drive might be bad because it fails even trying to copy stuff from a CD to the hard drive.

So I shared a DVD/CD drive on another system, which has no such issues. Worked great. Even better, I was able to RDP into the Win11 x64 box from the system with the good drive in it to make changing disks easier (less running around).

Weird. That USB drive is a Samsung so not just some cheapo. I suppose it was stored where it got very hot and very cold with the seasons so maybe that was the issue. I know it used to work. Doh!

Lively Member

There were a lot of headaches getting everything running under Windows 11. I got a message from Microsoft, based on a complaint I entered in one of their forums, to stay away from Window 11 Update 22H2 as it needs "several months to mature". I am runing 21H2 on two Windows 11 machines okay.

One odd thing I found is that I use MSCOMM32 (or SCOMM32). In VB6 it works fine, but I am receiving data base on the and oncomm event. My most massive and important test programs are written in VBA, under Access in Office 2016. I can not get the oncomm events to work in VBA. It does seem to trigger with an oncomm code of 5, but nothin else (i.e., code 2 = data reading in the buffer). Anywho, I have programs that run perfectly in some very fast Windows 7 machines without issue. I had to re-write the receiving of data in VBA. It took a lot of experimentation monitoring the receive buffer. What I found out, is that both MSCOMM32 and SCOMM32 ignore the XO/XOFF software handshaking under Windows 11. I do not know if the software handshaking is ignored in VB6 because I do not handle receiving the same way. I could not try hardware handshaking because the instrument I interface with do not supports it. They are essentially three wire RS232 communications.

I am guessing this has something to do with serial port interference from Windows 11. I use one program that I did not write that can receive screen shots via RS232 from the instrument under test, but can not download files stored in the instrument. Under Windows 10, that program could download files from the instrument via RS233. So, this is another reason I suspect Windows 11 interfering with RS232 communications. If you can work around the issue with software handshaking not working in serial communications, there is a lot to like about Windows 11. Its interface in not as visually "noisy" and sort of reminds me of Windows 7 again. It is simpler than Windows 10. I also like the start button in the bottom center. It reminds me of an Apple, but an Apple that is actually useable for more than web browsing.

Banned

While you wait for Microsoft's new operating system to arrive, you can check to see if your computer will be able to automatically update to Windows 11 (you'll need to be running Windows 10 first to do so -- here's how to download Windows 10 for free if you haven't yet). But even if it isn't deemed compatible, there will be a way to manually download a version that is not supported by Microsoft. And here's how to set the default search engine, if you'd rather not use Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarkgilbert View Post
    While you wait for Microsoft's new operating system to arrive, you can check to see if your computer will be able to automatically update to Windows 11 (you'll need to be running Windows 10 first to do so -- here's how to download Windows 10 for free if you haven't yet). But even if it isn't deemed compatible, there will be a way to manually download a version that is not supported by Microsoft. And here's how to set the default search engine, if you'd rather not use Bing.
    I don't believe you understand anything you wrote, or that you've read the thread.

Useful instructions usually follows "here's how..."

Your reply is worthless.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Oct 5th, 2022 at 02:25 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345