Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11 coming soon

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Windows 11 coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    We're living in Idiocracy times (clips here).
    I'd agree with that wholeheartedly. There are some of those who don't realise it, on the other Windows 11 thread.

It looks to me that the target for Win11 is probably 2-in-1 devices like the Surface Pro. The features I have seen look like they will make the Surface better, and I'm pretty happy with the two I have at the moment. I'm not sure that I'd use it in tablet mode anyways, but running Android apps could be useful.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I know that link looks like the Windows 11 announcement, but if you watch for a few minutes you'll see it is just movie clips that are an analog of it.

-- lol!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Addicted Member

There sure isn’t much information around on this new win11, but if it ends up requiring a new machine upgrade to run, it will even be difficult to test whether current developed VB6 apps will run without problems on Win11?
    /Jimboat

I'm very surprised to see this, but so far everything about it seems to confirm that it's a rewarmed Windows 10X concept.

In particular it appears to be designed to help "clear the decks" of older hardware, raising requirements and forcing time to buy more on consumers.

I have tried the evaluation tool on several machines now. Some get rejected by the Installer package ("unsupported CPU hardware"), some get rejected as having inadequate RAM, boot drive space, boot drive type (eMMC-based mini-PCs seem to be cast on the dung heap), video card, or even monitor size. Even the lack of binding to a Microsoft Account or an Internet connection disqualifies a machine.

If people thought Vista held a candle to the suckage of Windows Me... they ain't seen nuthin' yet!
    So...are we past it is a hoax?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

We'll see, if it ever ships.

We'll see, if it ever ships.
    Microsoft releases Windows 11 Insider Preview, attempts to defend labyrinth of hardware requirements

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/...view_released/

Crikey Moses!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Isn't it great that if you have enough money the requirements will be lowered for you?

Well it's considered to have a good computer in the future of the IT Industry to keep on getting smaller, faster and also more powerful, even. Then it goes with progress, even to keep on upgrading and gaining new ground, even so

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboat View Post
    There sure isn’t much information around on this new win11, but if it ends up requiring a new machine upgrade to run, it will even be difficult to test whether current developed VB6 apps will run without problems on Win11?
    Why would it require a new machine? Obviously it will run better on a newer machine but should run just fine on any middle of the road PC purchased within the last 10 years. I have an old one here that is over 10 years old and even it almost doubles the minimum specs shown on that link and it was a reasonably cheap pc when I bought it.

Edit: The machine I am using now is 6 core/12 thread 3.2ghz with 16gb ram, it is 3 years old and cost me under $1000 to build and far exceeds the minimum requirements.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Jun 29th, 2021 at 07:34 AM.

Did you miss the main point of the thread? My PCs bought in 2016 are 6th gen and aren't on the supported list.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Did you miss the main point of the thread? My PCs bought in 2016 are 6th gen and aren't on the supported list.
    The main point of the thread? I had looked at the requirements in general and they seem pretty low. I then drilled into the so called supported processors and do not see mine in the list either, but then just for giggles I looked at the supported lists for Windows 7, 8 and 10 and I have all of those running on Processors that are not on their lists either so those lists are incomplete.

For example I have Windows 7, 8 and 10 all running on AMD Phenom CPUs and have Windows 7 running on an old Athlon x64.
    This system is running a Ryzen 5 1600 and that one does not show up in their Windows 11 list even though it runs circles around some of the CPUs that are listed.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Jun 29th, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Why would it require a new machine? Obviously it will run better on a newer machine but should run just fine on any middle of the road PC purchased within the last 10 years. I have an old one here that is over 10 years old and even it almost doubles the minimum specs shown on that link and it was a reasonably cheap pc when I bought it.

Edit: The machine I am using now is 6 core/12 thread 3.2ghz with 16gb ram, it is 3 years old and cost me under $1000 to build and far exceeds the minimum requirements.
    Hopefully the Vb6 apps will run on windows 11, but I can’t test them unless I install windows 11 on one of my Win10 machine. But so far, none of my Win10 machines pass the win11 test. (Even though they’re less than 12 months old).
    /Jimboat

PowerPoster

Hopefully the Vb6 apps will run on windows 11, but I can’t test them unless I install windows 11 on one of my Win10 machine. But so far, none of my Win10 machines pass the win11 test. (Even though they’re less than 12 months old).
    I didn't try to install W11 in my PC, but I wanted to know if mine had TPM 2.0.
    Running Tpm.msc returns that "Compatible TPM cannot be found".
    I thought that mine didn't have it, but going to the PC setup, there was the option but it was set to disabled.
    I enabled it, and after that Tpm.msc returned the info about TPM.

PowerPoster

What is your system config, cpu, ram and so on?

I notice on the list of supposed supported processors they have the Athlon 300U but not the Ryzen 5 1600 yet the Ryzen 5 1600 is a more powerful CPU so one would think if it runs on the lesser CPU it will run good on the superior CPU. Looking at their list there are definitely a lot of processors that support some of those OSes but are not listed.

So then i am running an 8GB memory machine that has a clock speed of 3500MHz, so then would that run Windows 11, like

Like what?

Crikey

PowerPoster

I only saw 7 there, did I miss a Page 2?

Most of it seems to be an attempt to pull the unwarted Metro travesty from the dung heap. I expect a big fail, but you never know. The masses don't need a PC, so trying to cater to the tiny Windows Tablet crowd at the expense of the desktop market seems ill advised.

I only saw 7 there, did I miss a Page 2?

Most of it seems to be an attempt to pull the unwarted Metro travesty from the dung heap. I expect a big fail, but you never know. The masses don't need a PC, so trying to cater to the tiny Windows Tablet crowd at the expense of the desktop market seems ill advised.
    I'm looking at it more from an office support capacity. How it will affect the platforms we support. We are still keeping large VB 6.0 applications running, with baling wire and spit, and Windows 10 made us jump through hoops. That is partly why I am concerned about it coming out, when, and VB 6.0 support.

As far as at home I don't care. I mostly use my laptop for email, documents, and web browsing.

I am fairly sure it is really just a GUI change along with some enhancements. It isn't a major upgrade, more of a minor improvement with changes to the interface, a mere point release not worth the fuss if it weren't coupled with hype and a feck up or two.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I am fairly sure it is really just a GUI change along with some enhancements. It isn't a major upgrade, more of a minor improvement with changes to the interface, a mere point release not worth the fuss if it weren't coupled with hype and a feck up or two.
    MS are never going to allow a big change like XP or Win7 or even Win10 to happen to their marketing again as this has always back-fired with the natural resistance of slacking users to upgrade.

This time Win10 is already "ancient" in computer-time while Win11 deliberately requires shiny newer generation of CPUs and won't run on scrap boxes so that it is perceived as a more modern OS and of greater value by the neophytes.

Everything about consumer electronics/market revolves around vogue du jour. Making something more desirable by limiting supply (need better PC) is a very old trick. Hope they don't artificially increase the price -- another one-trick marketing pony.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Managed to get a virtual machine installed with the Windows 11 preview and my VB6 apps works fine and looks good so far :-)

-- So far, they say???

Fanatic Member

I have installed win11 on VMware though VMware does't have win11 option yet. But installation is OK. How to install drivers (ethernet card etc)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just wanted to know what they are going to say about VB6 generated apps, as they promised to work until the end of win10 and win2019 support.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    I just wanted to know what they are going to say about VB6 generated apps, as they promised to work until the end of win10 and win2019 support.
    Since VMware can't install the bluetooth/ThumbDrive/Ethernet etc drives, I can't install VB6 for testing though I can get those installation file through share folders. I am sure I miss something...I use VMware Workstation player v15.7.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Jul 2nd, 2021 at 03:15 AM.

This guy managed to get get up and running on an Android smart phone:

https://gizmodo.com/of-course-you-ca...hon-1847215981

PowerPoster

Keep in mind they are using beta versions that don't have the artificial hardware requirements imposed yet.

Keep in mind they are using beta versions that don't have the artificial hardware requirements imposed yet.
    I saw some talk about that in one of the links I attached but I'm not all that familiar with the impact of those requirements. I tend to get a new laptop every couple of years anyway.

Fanatic Member

Thanks for the information.
    In case I miss something, Anyone on VBForums has done Win11's drivers installations on VMware?
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Jul 2nd, 2021 at 08:00 PM.

I guess that would then be Microsoft employees that have done that, stuff for their computers. You also must know that HP/Compaq employees have 256Gb flash drives, also

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    Since VMware can't install the bluetooth/ThumbDrive/Ethernet etc drives, I can't install VB6 for testing though I can get those installation file through share folders. I am sure I miss something...I use VMware Workstation player v15.7.
    ... I mean the support statement ...

Cool

Here is an introductory page with a link to see if your PC is compatible.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...ACF#newsletter

I'm wondering if the folks that posted all the doubts that Windows 11 was real at the beginning of this thread are still maintaining that position. I mean there are still people denying climate change and Trump lost the election. At least most of the "world is flat" people shut up

The moon landing also happened
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jul 4th, 2021 at 04:17 PM.

A cracked DLL (appraiserres.dll) was release to install Win 11 on a Comodore64 Just replace the modify DLL in "Source" folder and run the Setup

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by AthlonArg View Post
    A cracked DLL (appraiserres.dll) was release to install Win 11 on a Comodore64 Just replace the modify DLL in "Source" folder and run the Setup
    Can I install it on a Sinclair ZX-81?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast