Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 11 coming soon

Addicted Member

Windows 11 coming soon

As a vb6 user it's sort of disappointing to think that the best you can hope for from a new Windows is that nothing changes.

Thankfully there are projects on the go now that promise to deliver us from this limbo!
    Last edited by vbrad; Jun 7th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Windows 11 coming soon

Virtual desktops, disposable sandboxes, hyperv, etc were all great additions to windows 10 and have helped me develop vb6 apps. I expect windows 10.1 or 11 or whatever they call it do deliver more of the same.

Has anyone seen anything definitive that VB 6.0 will not run after Windows 11? Support stopped a while ago but the runtimes still work on Windows 10.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

The Idiot

just rumors about windows 11, it could be as DllHell wrote, just a major update, like 10.1
    that shouldn't make VB6 not working. but if the UI is changing, with edged corners and other UI-changes it could affect the form positioning again.

vb6/vba are integrated in a way that its unlikely it will stop working.

sure, if theres a windows 11, it could make vb6 stop working, but that will also mean that a major part of all applications we have in windows will not work as well.

Maybe no more 32 bit support

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

No. What will happen is that the new Windows will go up to 11, not just 10 like any other o/s but up to 11.

PowerPoster

Strange, they've said that Windows 10 would be the last, and every new version would be labeled Windows 10.

That was just corporate bullship guaranteed to last as long the current management was in place and no longer. Does anyone here still believe a single thing that MS says?

PowerPoster

I think it is just hype, much like the phony "military UFO video leaks" making the rounds right now.

I spent some time on the web and couldn't find anything "definitive"...maybe it is too soon for the public to know. Could be quite a fuss if they dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I spent some time on the web and couldn't find anything "definitive"...maybe it is too soon for the public to know. Could be quite a fuss if they dropped it.
    The current insider builds are still happily supporting 32 bit code so I can't see it being dropped any time soon. Interestingly they are also supporting graphical Linux apps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    The current insider builds are still happily supporting 32 bit code so I can't see it being dropped any time soon. Interestingly they are also supporting graphical Linux apps as well.
    Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet or is it coming soon? :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet or is it coming soon? :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Could be interesting, Windows 10 as Linux for the Desktop

All the advantages of the Linux desktop with all the disadvantages of the Windows desktop.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    That was just corporate bullship guaranteed to last as long the current management was in place and no longer. Does anyone here still believe a single thing that MS says?
    I think there is a difference between a plan changing and outright lies. Are we really upset that microsoft is changing a number? lol

Who said they were upset? Are you? Not me.

However, absorbing and accepting the corporate bullship that comes with any Microsoft or Apple release is another thing entirely...

Hyperactive Member

some people seem pretty salty that a comment from a single person at microsoft 6 years ago wasn't upheld for eternity

Regardless of anything, the important thing seems to be missed - it's going to 11, not 10 but 11. All the way to eleven.

PowerPoster

PowerPoster

I'll believe there is a WIndows 11 coming when Microsoft says so, anything else is speculation at best and hoax at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I'll believe there is a WIndows 11 coming when Microsoft says so, anything else is speculation at best and hoax at worst.
    https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...885-2021-06-07

https://www.tomshardware.com/feature...ything-we-know

PowerPoster

Hmm. Interesting, I looked it up yesterday and everything I saw that looked even the slightest bit official said that Microsoft has absolutely no plans to release a Windows 11 this year. They will of course update Windows 10.

Windows 10 Professional USB3, is quite new to the IT world. However the quick dismissial of Windows 8/8.1 would speak quite alot of bounds, in fact of the matter is there in the desktop Windows OS age
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

USB3 ? No idea what you mean by that. USB3 has been around for about a decade now which is forever in the IT world. Windows 10 also has been around for about 6 years which again in the IT world is a very long time.

There is one more possibility. They could drop the "10" from the name and just call it "Windows" from now. Apple did that with OS X which is now "macOS".

i remember mActiveX.exe, that worked for using Mac computers to run Windows COM Apps, like Object Pascal, Visual Fortran and also COBOL, even
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Windows 10 will retire on 10/14/2025, so there must be coming some of successor of W10
    Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel until October 14, 2025.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lif...0-home-and-pro

PowerPoster

Interesting that they would decide to keep Windows 10 around for 10 years Probably they do not even know what they will have by 2025 at this point.

PowerPoster

5 years plus 5 extended years has been a typical support life cycle for a long time. Windows 7 went through that before it died a year and a half ago. Windows 10 merely got a full 10 years instead of half and half.

Still using windows 7 and loving it.

PowerPoster

Windows 7 is dangerous as a development platform. Around SP1 there were a ton of weird breaks with binary compatibility and typelib versioning in system libraries, mainly rubber crutches used to make 64-bit Office sort of work. These got fixed, but not in Windows 7 which was already dying back then.

Very late they released manual update band-aids, but you had to know to go find them and install them. Failure to do so results in polluted VB6 Projects that can produce code that fails on normal operating systems or *MISSING* reference confusion when tainted Projects are opened in VB6.EXE on normal operating systems.

In many ways Windows 7 was the "Windows Me" release of NT.

I will NOT use Win10. Windows XP for me and Win 7 for 64bit operation, mostly development. When Win 7 is no longer usable due to security reasons, Kubuntu + wine and eventually ReactOS - but never Win10 nor the shite that comes after. Everything else is done on Android or iphone. I see the end of Windows coming for me. TwinBasic and RADBasic are part of that plan longer term.

I darn well love Windows 10 Professional

Frenzied Member

I still use XP for 95% of my computing time.
    I use W8.1 for the other 5%
    Win 8 was bad, but 8.1 is great (Classic Start Menu of course).

PS My PCs are old, and die fairly often.
    With XP, I create Seagate Disk Wizard images.
    If PC dies, I can Restore the last image into the new (OLD'ish) PC, and do a Repair install before booting into windows.
    (That re-configures my previously running XP, to handle the changed hardware).
    Been running my XP for 12 years, 'migrating' into at least 3 different PCs
    If anyone knows how I could do that same miracle with W8.1, I would be all ears.
    Last edited by Bobbles; Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    I still use XP for 95% of my computing time.
    I use W8.1 for the other 5%
    Win 8 was bad, but 8.1 is great (Classic Start Menu of course).

PS My PCs are old, and die fairly often.
    With XP, I create Seagate Disk Wizard images.
    If PC dies, I can Restore the last image into the new (OLD'ish) PC, and do a Repair install before booting into windows.
    (That re-configures my previously running XP, to handle the changed hardware).
    Been running my XP for 12 years, 'migrating' into at least 3 different PCs
    If anyone knows how I could do that same miracle with W8.1, I would be all ears.
    I hear ya bro

The Idiot

using windows 7 as my main,
    the windows 10 I have, is not as good and creates issues with my vb6 game-project.
    as I mentioned in another thread:
    compiling my project in windows 7 = result in a 100% working executable that works in windows 7 & 10 without issues
    compiling my project in windows 10 = result in a broken executable that gives me random issues, such as corrupted saves, loading issues, values changes, crashes etc.

for me, stability is very important, as my game gets downloaded by thousands of people around the world using different windows.
    I can't have stability issues that are impossible to fix due to some crap in windows 10.
    its not that windows 10 is always creating this, but my game-project is BIG and something is not working properly.

so, for me, windows 7 is that best windows so far. and Im happy that windows 10 is to die. I hope the next windows is better.

Some of my clients, still use Microsoft Win95b and then they are happy using COMM port bar code scanners and cash registers using shelled DOS32-Bit docket printers, then so

PowerPoster

I have Windows 7 on the machine I use for VB6 and VS2008, Windows 10 on my other machine which I also have vb6 on but rarely use it on that one. Mostly use C#, VB.Net and B4X on the Windows 10 box.

I like Windows 7 quite a bit, Windows 10 I did not like at first and some things I still do not like but overall it is good and I have adapted. Some of the software I use will not run on anything less than 10 and some of the software that will run on 7 or 8 runs better and faster on 10.

I just saw this a few minutes ago....

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2...ots-start-menu

Might lessen the speculation...maybe?

PowerPoster

We saw the same myth pop up two years ago, and from the same nefarious sources.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast