Thread: [RESOLVED] draw font in assembly

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] draw font in assembly

Hello, today I want to do something different I want to print a custom assembly drawing when a certain key is pressed we know that each letter has its binary value. And when it is printed it receives its character. Look:

01100001 = (a)

So based on that I want to know if there is something like the link below that is possible to do in assembly so when I create a prompt and type exit my manual drawing.

But taking into account that I only created simple assembly programs, there are some libraries that I can use to make the drawings:
    https://www.engineersgarage.com/ardu...using-arduino/

My idea is When pressed show the custom design.

all done on a computer the Arduino link is just one example.

Frenzied Member

Re: draw font in assembly

i am not sure, why you chose assembly to implement this as all your questions tend to reveal some misconception of assembly language.

anyhow, related to your question: what is your display? are you going to have an external lcd display or is this 'drawing' to be displayed on screen? are you already able to display graphic on screen via assembler language?
    you need to start in creating a window, and then you can draw to that window. as pure as possible, i would create a monochorm bitmap, draw that on the window and the characters into the bitmap. you will keep an 8x8 (will be very small but can be zoomed via the window draw) character set, i.e. 8 bytes for each character holding the monochrome graphics. upon key press, you then copy the 8 bytes to the screen bitmap.

Addicted Member

Re: draw font in assembly

Quote Originally Posted by digitalShaman View Post
    i am not sure, why you chose assembly to implement this as all your questions tend to reveal some misconception of assembly language.

anyhow, related to your question: what is your display? are you going to have an external lcd display or is this 'drawing' to be displayed on screen? are you already able to display graphic on screen via assembler language?
    you need to start in creating a window, and then you can draw to that window. as pure as possible, i would create a monochorm bitmap, draw that on the window and the characters into the bitmap. you will keep an 8x8 (will be very small but can be zoomed via the window draw) character set, i.e. 8 bytes for each character holding the monochrome graphics. upon key press, you then copy the 8 bytes to the screen bitmap.
    well I stopped my studies but I still know how to print messages and create user input and result but I don't know anything further than putting a background color.

I don't have an lcd I just want to print on the screen even in a very simple way.

Yes I saw the msdos character converter and saw how it works with bitmap image but as I said my area is more .NET or gtk.