Thread: Updating String() va;ues

Addicted Member

Updating String() va;ues

I have a program that get all files in a directory and puts them in a string(). Each one of these files are renamed. How can I update or replace the value in the string() with the new name?

Thank You

Re: Updating String() va;ues

Your description is too vague. Please provide a FULL and CLEAR explanation of the problem. What does this actually mean:
    Each one of these files are renamed.
    Are you saying that you're renaming the files in the application or that they are being renamed outside the application? If it's within then your question boils down to how to set an element of an array, which is not something you have to ask us. If it's outside then you can simply discard the array you already have and create a new one in the same way, which is not something you have to ask us about. If you specifically want to modify the existing array then you would have to know the mapping from old file names to new ones. Do you know that, because you haven't told us what it is or how you can determine it programmatically, so how could we tell you how to use it programmatically? Basically, we can't tell whether you're asking something so simple that you shouldn't need to ask or something for which you haven't provided enough information.

Frenzied Member

Actually it's not even clear whether he's talking about a string array or a list. @Tesla 1886: Could you provide some code so that we can see what you're trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Actually it's not even clear whether he's talking about a string array or a list.
    I'm OK with that part. String() is the data type for a String array, plus the Directory.GetFiles method returns a String array, so it seems a safe bet that it's an array.

So, you loop through your string array, changing every filename? Why not also change the string array element at that point? Don't use a For Each loop...

Addicted Member

Resolved Re: Updating String() va;ues

I figured it out. I swear I tried it in a similar program and got an error.

And we still don't know what you were trying to do or what you did, so this whole thread was pointless as it won't help anyone else either.