Thread: MVP Award

MVP Award

Hello,

I asked si_the_geek earlier if this forum had a plan before to create an MVP award system similar to other popular coding forums out there.

In addition to our existing reputation system that we have.

Regards,

kgc
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Re: MVP Award

I personally haven't used sites with that kind of system, so don't know how it compares with our reputation system.

As I mentioned earlier, our reputation system isn't perfect, but it does mean that people can see quite easily which user(s) are most likely to be worth paying attention to.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

So...everyone would start off as a VIRGIN... How long and how many points would be needed before the points were meaningful?

Do we kill the current system?

Twenty years ago, a lot of people tried to use Post Counts to mean something... Then they saw the 80 year olds with 10grand worth of posts - ALL ASKING FOR HELP....

And I've saved my favorite for last-> Two years from now when the single most knowledgeable developer on the planet joined the site - he/she would have no points... What does that tell us? Other than he/she needs to get busy.

Does anyone think our membership would change and our post count would drastically increase?

Just so people don't call me Negative Nancy - I know there is a TON of psychology behind point systems. But do people here really need more "LIKES" to get them to the site more often? If so - then maybe we need to talk.

I love our system of reputation. It is fair and prevent abuse. Please don't change it.

I have been on a french forum with a system of + and - without control where you can get a minus point because you dare to answer to a thread that an other person answer (because you "steal" the "fame" , maybe) or because your started to help but didn't help enough. I quit this forum because I am not on a forum to get minus reputation because my answer wasn't good enough but to help as I can, when I can.

Here people gives usually only good reputation if earned and if it is given by a "master" (in the meaning of knowledge master/teacher) you get more points which is fair as it is done by someone of high level of skills that acknowledge the value of the answer/tip. (I don't know if I am very clear on this one ).

And you cannot give reputation as you want to the same person. That prevents friends level up of reputation as I have seen elsewhere...

To my knowledge , (but please confirm it or not), if you give bad reputation here, you have to justify and a moderator can prevent that, no ? (i think I have read that somewhere here, but I may be wrong)

For me reputation should/must reflect the relevance of the skills not just good point/bad point. I think our system do a good job for that.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    the single most knowledgeable developer on the planet joined the site -
    I would be interested to know who he/she is, just to follow her/his posts to learn from her/he although I learn already a lot with JMC, Shaggy, .Paul., ChrisE, Techgnome, Dbasnett, Dday, Passel, Si or Peterst and so many others. (well I must confess I don't always understand everything)

I know for sure that following their posts I raised my skills by a lot (and gave to me more courage and desire to help others)
    Last edited by Delaney; May 27th, 2021 at 04:44 PM.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

The only change to the reputation system I would suggest is that the current restrictions as to whom you can give reputaion points are removed for the mods/admins. So if they want to eg give successive reps to the same person then they can.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

They are awarded to people who "actively share their technical expertise with the different technology communities related directly, or indirectly to Microsoft". The rules and guidelines to getting awarded as a Microsoft MVP are not strictly defined. The reason for this is that every Microsoft MVP contributes to the community in different ways. However, the largest key indicator Microsoft looks for when considering someone for the Microsoft MVP Award is how much impact their activities over the last 12 months have on the community. (Wikipedia)

Do we kill the current system?
    I love our system of reputation. It is fair and prevent abuse. Please don't change it.
    - Based from wikipedia and from what I understand, the award does not involve killing or changing the current reputation system. The current reputation system stay as is. IMO, this is more like an annual recognition.

- kgc
    Last edited by KGComputers; May 28th, 2021 at 03:46 AM.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Oh THAT Microsoft MVP program..... I was in it for 5 or 6 years. So have several people on this site.

Microsoft (MS) would pay most of the expenses for people around the world to fly to Seattle for a week long conference.... They probably spent millions of Dollars just on that.... MS also gave out all sorts of toys and tools and we could get a copy or ten of every piece of software they had.

I remember getting a free $150.00 CREDIT to the MS Store and then be able to purchase a retail copy of Win XP for 20 or 30 bucks... (of free money)

Active MVP's can nominate people they know or have met online... Maybe we could encourage them to pick some of our members.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Oh THAT Microsoft MVP program..... I was in it for 5 or 6 years. So have several people on this site.

Microsoft (MS) would pay most of the expenses for people around the world to fly to Seattle for a week long conference.... They probably spent millions of Dollars just on that.... MS also gave out all sorts of toys and tools and we could get a copy or ten of every piece of software they had.

I remember getting a free $150.00 CREDIT to the MS Store and then be able to purchase a retail copy of Win XP for 20 or 30 bucks... (of free money)

Active MVP's can nominate people they know or have met online... Maybe we could encourage them to pick some of our members.
    What I meant to say is why VBForums does not have it's own exclusive MVP award say "VBForums MVP" of which an active VBForums member will be given recognition (like a badge or so) for his contribution for a year based from our current reputation system or other factors. Similar to C# Corner or Code Project MVP award (Don't know their rules and guidelines).

Or maybe the reputation system that we have right now is enough?

- kgc

Badges??? We don't need no steenkin' badges!!!

I've always felt that the rep system would be somewhat stronger if it were rep/post (not counting chit-chat, or I might be as close to 0 as is possible). I don't feel strongly about that, just that it would be an interesting metric. People would move up and down the ranks over time as their participation waxed and waned. It would also be misleading, just in a different way from the current system. Somebody who had been really active and contributing sometime in the past might have sunk to 0 due to some lengthy hiatus, which would misrepresent their potential contributions.

Nothing is ideal, but if you really want badges, this is probably the best alternative.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Nothing is ideal, but if you really want badges, this is probably the best alternative.
    he, he, you just earn this one with this alternative :
    Name:  cool merit badge.bmp
Views: 212
Size:  37.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

I've always felt that the rep system would be somewhat stronger if it were rep/post (not counting chit-chat, or I might be as close to 0 as is possible). I don't feel strongly about that, just that it would be an interesting metric. People would move up and down the ranks over time as their participation waxed and waned. It would also be misleading, just in a different way from the current system. Somebody who had been really active and contributing sometime in the past might have sunk to 0 due to some lengthy hiatus, which would misrepresent their potential contributions.

Well I did not say that we must have that type of award. I now get the point that the current rep system is suitable in this forum.