Thread: Question about Windows 10 e-mail notifications and Outlook->

Frenzied Member

Question about Windows 10 e-mail notifications and Outlook->

Whenever I get an e-mail in my Hotmail account a notification appears in Windows 10. When I click on the e-mail some kind of e-mail program that apparently came pre-packaged with Windows 10 running from a program called hxOutlook.exe is opened and I see my Hotmail's inbox. Obviously it's using my Microsoft account which I use for several things to get access. This is all fine and dandy, but I prefer not to use this particular mail program (hxOutlook). I have been browsing through the settings, such as default apps to see if I could get Windows to open a link to Hotmail in my browser instead.

To make a long story short: is there a way to substitute this hxOutlook for a link to Hotmail. Preferably opened using Chrome?

Re: Question about Windows 10 e-mail notifications and Outlook->

Look in Settings-> "Default Apps"

If your email is set to hxOutlook - change it to the browser of your choice.

Frenzied Member

The setting for e-mail is Outlook 2013. The notifications center appears to be using another setting. Anyway, I don't have my Hotmail linked to Outlook 2013. I prefer to read e-mails received there in a browser.

BUT.... changing the setting away from Outlook 2013 needs to be done anyway doesn't it?

When I look inside Hotmail/Outlook.com's SETTINGS and search for Notifications I see the attached screenshot.

When I enabled Desktop I was offered the Allow/Block pop up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frenzied Member

That allows me to disable the notifications but doesn't allow me to control how the e-mail is opened. No Outlook 2013 isn't relevant here except for the fact it's the default app in Windows' settings for sending mail.

Let me try to describe my set up:
    1. I have an e-mail address from my internet provider. I have Outlook 2013 set up to connect to that e-mail address. Outlook 2013 is also the default app in Windows settings for e-mail. It looks like that particular setting is however unrelated to my Hotmail notifications. If it were, Outlook 2013 and not hxOutlook.exe would appear when I clicked the notifications, right?
    2. I have a Hotmail address on the side, until I started using Windows 10 I never got any e-mail notifications from it unless I had an e-mail program specifically set up and running in the background for that purpose. But since Windows 10 I use my Microsoft Account which is tied to my Hotmail address to log on to my pc. That's how the notification center connects to my Hotmail address. I don't remember explicitly setting it up like that but I don't mind since it's convenient. What I don't like is that the hxOutlook thingy doesn't tell you what it's called in a title bar. I had to manually look up what that window popping up when I tried read my e-mail was using Task Manager. I can't find any setting relating to this prepackaged e-mail program. It doesn't appear in the Default Apps or programs that can be uninstalled list.

If possible, I want to completely disable this hxOutlook app and remove any associations to it relating e-mail. I want to use my browser and not some hidden app.

The screenshot above is a notification From your browser and not Windows.... Your browser must be open to receive the notification from Hotmail.

Frenzied Member

Okay I see, so I need to look elsewhere for the right settings. I made a quick screen recording of the notifications I am talking about. Perhaps it will help explain things:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hc7...ew?usp=sharing

I had to upload it to my Google Drive because vbforums apparently feels my image file is invalid. When I upload it as an attachment, I can't find the attached file. EDIT: "Upload failed." What gives?

Not sure why it failed. Probably because it isn't needed.

I'd still try Hotmails notification version..... I have a feeling you can't actually open the email which you might consider a worse situation.

Have you thought about forwarding emails from online Hotmail to your local Outlook 2013? You could move em as they come in.

Frenzied Member

What do you mean isn't needed?

Okay, I turned on "Desktop Notifications". I don't mind leaving the browser open. Still works the same way as it always did.

Again, what you mean? Can't actually open the e-mail?

hxOutlook is outlook... a quick google search shows that... it's part of the office suite with Win10. The notification that it is displaying is part of it. It's not a separate app that runs, but rather part of the outlook service that's running and checks your hotmail account. When it sees there is mail, it turns on the icon, and when you click it, shows the main form of the application. There is no default to change. Or rather, changing default isn't going to affect that because the notification is part of Outlook.

Now, if you wanted to... you could probably build your own notifier, that when you clicked on it, would spin up your web browser and navigate to the right url. But because the existing notification is Outlook, that's all it's going to open.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Windows 10 office suite? Yes, I believe I stumbled across a trial version of some newer Microsoft Office. But since I already had a payed for Microsoft Office 2013 I chose to stick with that. This office suite doesn't appear in the list of programs that can be uninstalled. There is no way I am going to even try building my own notifier. I don't see this Outlook service running in the Services app??

Are there also a version of Word and Excel that come with this Office suite btw?