Thread: Out of space for uploads

PowerPoster

Out of space for uploads

I don't mean to be greedy, but I seem to have hit my space limit again.

I've been trying to post attachments as small as possible, but auto-"promotion" of images to fatty JPEGs seems to remain a source of trouble. I try to stay under the ~520 pixel width trigger to avoid that, and also decrease to 16 colors and PNGOUT them as PNGs to save as much as I can.

But at some point the old sack just overflows I guess. I hate to delete too much because most of the images and ZIPs are useful and some people do still search and find old threads that help them.

So I'm not begging and certainly not demanding anything, but I also hate to link to offsite repositories as some have been reduced to.

Re: Out of space for uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    . . . but I also hate to link to offsite repositories as some have been reduced to.
    This would be wise thing to do for several reason, space limit is one of them.

Are zip files/projects which are uploaded here sucessfully mirrored on web.archive.org for posterity or their crawler skips these based on size?

cheers,
    </wqw>

Really wish I could help you

But seeings how you're "THE" number one person on a short list.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

I use imgur, that seems to be stable, they haven't destroyed any of my old images, the advertising is minimal and it works. I understand why you might not want to use external hosting but unless you host an image server yourself and can be relied upon to host it in perpetuity then it is a good option.

It’s a shame that long time posters have to give up older posts/threads to help new posters of new threads.
    The repository becomes useless

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Well, we could all set up a £2.50 donation on a monthly basis and it would pay for more hosting space but when times are hard and the cost grows then the site fails because it costs too much. This site is commercially hosted and there is a cost to hosting it which we would not want the owner to bear if it grew too expensive...

imgur and external hosting is the solution for those that reach a high limit.

PowerPoster

It's ok. I can see that VB6 is about as dead now as it is going to get anyway.

I can either quit posting new things or else go back looking for some older, bigger, and perhaps less useful items. For example tiny PNGs the site "promoted" to flabby JPEGs.