Thread: VB6 Cairo-Widgets Tutorial

PowerPoster

VB6 Cairo-Widgets Tutorial

This is the "logical second step", after one got more familiar with Cairo-Drawing -
    in the preceding Tutorial here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....cs-using-Cairo

This Widget-Tutorial will show, how you can put your gathered knowledge with the Drawing-Methods
    (behind the usually named CC As cCairoContext) - to good use, when writing your own Cairo-based Controls.

A self-implemented "UserControl" (with the helper-classes from RC6, using cairo-drawing) - is called "a Widget".

A Widget is like a WindowLess-UserControl in VB6 - but not implemented in a *.ctl - but a normal *.cls.

Due to that (everything sitting in a "normal Class"), I recommend to use the same ClassName-prefixing as you find in the Demos:
    - cSomeNormalClass (a normal Class is prefixed with a small c)
    - cfSomeRC6Form (an RC6-Form-Class is prefixed with cf)
    - cwSomeWidget (an RC6-Widget-Class is prefixed with cw)

This will allow one, to keep the different type of Classes apart (the cf-prefixed ones are like *.frm, and the cw-ones like *.ctl).

Ok, on the inside of a cwSomeWidget-Class, you will see basically the same principle, as when implementing something in a MyCtl.ctl:
    - an internal Helper-Variable, which provides you with all kind of Events inside of this "Control-Class"
    - in VB6 this Helper-Variable is named UserControl (automatically provided by the IDE, you don't have to define it)
    - and for RC6-WidgetClasses the same thing is usually named W, but you have to define it yourself:
    Private WithEvents W As cWidgetBase

Other than that, the implementation is similar to what you do in a VB6-UserControl-Module:
    - you get Resize, Focus, Keyboard, Mouse- and Paint-Events from your internal UserControl-Variable
    - and in the same way, you get the same Events (plus a few more) in your Widget-Class from the W-Variable

The largest difference to VB6-Usercontrols is this:
    - We now have a fully Alpha-Capable Vector-engine behind it (which supports even nested Alpha)
    - And the Widget is "by default" always "fully transparent"

The latter part meaning:
    If you don't render anything in the W_Paint()-Event via explicite Cairo-methods, you will "not see anything"
    (the Container-Background of the Parent-Widget or Parent-Form will "remain as it is" below the area, your Widget occupies).

Please note, that the only way to "render a given Widget properly", is via the W_Paint()-Event.
    If you change state on a given Widget (e.g. a Caption-Prop or an ImageKey-Property), you will have to ensure:
    - either a W.Refresh (if you are on the inside of your own implementing WidgetClass)
    - or a MyCtl.Widget.Refresh call on the outside of your WidgetClass-implementation
    to finally trigger the W_Paint-Event on the given Widget, which then dutifully re-renders its contents, according to the new "state".

Ok, the Tutorial here has the same "Folder-structured approach" (from simple to more difficult),
    as the Cairo-Drawing-Tutorial which came before it...

Folder-Contents:
    - 0 Hello World in VBScript
    - 1 Hello Widgets (simple)
    - 2 Widgets (Moveable-Prop and Zooming)
    - 3 Widgets (Events and Nesting)
    - 4 Widgets (MouseCursors and ImageKeys)
    - 5 SliderWidget (demonstrating visual inheritance)

Here a ScreenShot of the "Folder #4 Demo" (Drag-Drop + MouseCursor-Handling)

Here a ScreenShot of "Folder #5" (a Slider Widget + Visual Inheritance)

Here the Demo-Zip:
    RC6WidgetTutorial.zip

Happy "Widgeting"...

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; May 13th, 2021 at 10:36 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 Cairo-Widgets Tutorial

Never, I have been given the visual aspect.
    But this tutorial is very good.
    I will study it later

very good work

Dear Olaf,
    The RC5/6 Widget is so powerful that I'm able to use it to simulate a little graph canvas to create a group of objects as a desired mixed object, my question is how to save the single object and whole canvas , especially like microsoft excel's insert shapes and grouping them and save them. Thanks.

PowerPoster

RC5/6 Widgets are based on a "State-Machine"...
    (based on a bunch of Widget-Props, which hold that State,...
    and "all that State" is finally influencing the rendering in the internal W_Paint-Event, when triggered by the .Refresh-Method).

So, if you want to save Widgets (a Widget-Hierarchy, starting from some "Root-, or Parent-Widget"), you will have to:
    - Enumerate all Widgets recursively (starting from a Root-Widget)
    - build (serialize) "a XML- or JSON-Node"-string out of the "internal State" of the currently enumerated Widget
    adding that "String-Result-Node", to a StringBuilder-Object, you pass along in that recursive Enumeration

And as for the serialization itself, you basically have to do that (in a single, given Widget) -
    for all the Private Vars within that Widget, starting with the one which is "always there" -> W As cWidgetBase.

1) serialize all "Default-Props" of 'W' (Left, Top, Width, Height, FontName, FontSize, ForeColor,BackColor etc.)
    2) and finally serialize all "selfdefined Private Vars" which you used, to hold additional state

-----------------------------------------

That said... the RC5/6 already contains an "Auto-Serializer", based on XML -
    which can be triggered behind any .Widgets-Prop via e.g.: strXML = MyRC6Form.Widgets.SerializeToXML(..., ...)

The only requirement for that to work properly, is that all of your own Widget-Classes are contained Public in an AX-Dll
    (and not as Private Classes in your Main-Project).

If that requirement is a problem for you, then you can always "roll your own" serialization,
    as outlined at the beginning of this post.

Olaf

Desr Olaf, Thank you very much, As per your guide above, I define sth my self in every obj class, so far the object can be moved, zoomimg , coped and saved as png ,also with the help of imagemagicK command line it can be copy as tranparent bg object similar to MS excel insert graph. It works fine。

My another3 questions are:
    1)how to lock any one object but allow other objects to move and zoom in the same panel?
    2) Is it possible to group some objects together like excel insert graph?
    3) when I make one object rotate as your post example in vbforums, it can work at first time, then memory problem occured ,how can I do ?

thanks .
    Last edited by JT870; Jan 4th, 2022 at 12:50 PM.

PowerPoster

Cannot see (or download) your attachment.

As for your other questions:
    1) Move-Locks could be done by simply setting MyShape.Widget.Moveable = False
    2) Grouping (using the Widget-Engine) one can do, by placing the grouped Widgets within their own (transparent) Parent-Widget
    3) A link to some code (or your own uploaded Zip-File) would be good

Olaf

Hi all, I can't believe I missed this tutorial(?) somehow. As I'm reading it currently, just wondering, since Olaf has updated Cairo so much, it appears that some of the programing is no longer requires a lot of the setouts of the old stuff. Is this same situtation for Widgets too? Like for example, one doesn't need to type this in anymore to make Cairo work. (Great)
    "Public New_c As New cConstructor, Cairo As cCairo"
    I'd like learn more if possible, but I feel like I'm reading something that seems out of date. Does anyone have any updated Widget samples/examples they could share with us plebs?
    Have a Cairo-Random-Auto-Generated Facemaker Maiden for your trouble.
    Name:  Emi Small.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  83.9 KB

Addicted Member

Dear Olaf,

Any sample code to tell me how using RC6 I can do the following:
    --
    1. Read the contents of a password protected zip file, in memory? In other words, I should not have the need to unzip the contents anywhere first into the system in order to read the contents. I should be able to do in-memory reading.

2. On a similar note, how to do in-memory writing? i.e. read the contents of a password-protected in memory, make changes in it and write it back to the zip file. All this to be done without extracting the contents of the zip file anywhere into the system.
    --

Note-1: I will be creating the password-protected zip file using 7-zip, just in case this info is significant

Note-2: I searched the forum on 'olaf rc6 zip file', 'olaf rc6 cryptography', etc., etc., but I could not get the right thread where I could ask the above question. Hence, I decided to ask the above question here, in this thread. I will be mighty thankful to get to know one major thread (like the WebView2 thread) where I can ask all NON-webview2 questions (sqlite, cairo, zip/unzip, hash, encyrpt, etc.) in future. Thanks in advance.

I take this opportunity to once again thank you like anything, Olaf, for all your contributions and wholehearted support at all times.

Kind Regards.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    Any sample code to tell me how using RC6 I can do the following:
    --
    1. Read the contents of a password protected zip file, in memory? In other words, I should not have the need to unzip the contents anywhere first into the system in order to read the contents. I should be able to do in-memory reading.

2. On a similar note, how to do in-memory writing? i.e. read the contents of a password-protected in memory, make changes in it and write it back to the zip file. All this to be done without extracting the contents of the zip file anywhere into the system.
    --

Note-1: I will be creating the password-protected zip file using 7-zip, just in case this info is significant
    The RC6-Zip support works in conjunction with the SQLite-Zip-module -
    (where Zip-ByteArrays or Zip-Files can be loaded into, as a "virtual table", which is then "SQL-queryable").

Though "password-protected Zip-Files" are not supported by this module (but I think wqwetos Zip-class has support for it).

What you can do though is, to encrypt a "normal Zip file" via your own Encryption-routine -
    (treating it like a "any other unencrypted ByteBuffer") - though then "only your App" will then be able to open an archive, encrypted in this way.

Crypto- and Hash-support is all contained in the New_c.Crypt-class (e.g. AES and ArcFour Methods are available behind it).

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    Note-2: I searched the forum on 'olaf rc6 zip file', 'olaf rc6 cryptography', etc., etc., but I could not get the right thread where I could ask the above question. Hence, I decided to ask the above question here, in this thread.

where I can ask all NON-webview2 questions (sqlite, cairo, zip/unzip, hash, encyrpt, etc.) in future. Thanks in advance.
    As for searches - I use google, along with the "site-modifier"-addition, as e.g.:
    [ site:vbForums.com New_c olaf zip file ]
    Note, that I used New_c instead of the terms RC5 or RC6 - to "catch all code-examples across both versions".

Well, the above spits out (as the first found link): https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ontainer-Files

As for "the correct place, to ask questions"...

RC5/RC6 is a "commonly used, free available ActiveX-helper" in the meantime -
    so "questions about it" should be treated like questions about "other larger ActiveX-helpers" like e.g. FlexGrid, ADO, DAO etc. -
    and are therefore welcome in the normal (big) VB6-Forum.

Olaf