Thread: My AV protection doesn't like reading USB business card

My AV protection doesn't like reading USB business card

No idea where this question belongs but I will try this category. I received a business card from someone and the card has a flash drive on it with the guy's resume (and other files) but when I plugged it in, my Trend Micro Apex One AV got all nervous and said it "detected unauthorized access to devices connected to your endpoint". When I google this I get instructions on how to "Untick 'Display a notification on endpoints when Apex One detects unauthorized device access' under Notification" but the question is do I want to untick it? What is the unauthorized access it is talking about? Also, I can't save his resume which is a PDF locally. That gave me another scary message. Thanks for any help! Want to keep my PC safe but also want to access this guy's resume!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: My AV protection doesn't like reading USB business card

USB "sticks" are NOT allowed on a properly run network these days. Sorry - the person would submitted the resume has to come up with a way to deliver it safely.
    Last edited by szlamany; May 10th, 2021 at 09:18 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Interesting... I actually met this guy on a hike Saturday in Orange! Coincidentally he is a Windows programmer but he went back to college at Gateway Community for Mobile Apps and is done this month. So he gave me his fancy dancy business card. I will ask him to email it. Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I end up having to inspect "dangerous" files fairly frequently as part of being a mod. Ideally I do it on an old laptop I've got but if that's not available I've got a Virtual Machine set up on my main desktop. That's a fairly safe way of doing it.

Chances are his usb is entirely safe but I'd err on the side of caution.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd