Thread: Internet speed

PowerPoster

Internet speed

I have 50Mbps internet speed. Seems OK, streams just fine. They keep talking about gig speed. Does going to a higher internet speed have a major effect on your browsing/streaming/downloading speed? Anyone notice difference when they upgraded?

Re: Internet speed

It depends on what you are doing.

I personally haven't noticed a difference since my speed went above 20 Mbps, but then I don't do much in terms of "heavy" internet use (general browsing, or watching a video).

If you download big files (or pages with lots of pictures etc) then you might notice an improvement if you get a higher internet speed.

I moved in with a friend for six months this past fall.... She had real nice internet service.... But her older pc with Win 8 couldn't do a LOT of things my newer Win 10 pc could.

I spent many hours trying to tweak her pc....new Ethernet card etc. Nutting helped till I bought her a new refurbished pc and she was one with the universe.

I getting 50Mbps in my new home..... It's a lot less then my friends house or my house before then.... Have yet to find something I can't do...
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

PowerPoster

I getting 50Mbps in my new home..... It's a lot less then my friends house or my house before then
    Do you notice a difference??

Nope. I often go to a section of FaceBook and spend way too much time watching videos. I never have an issue the videos....

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Nope. I often go to a section of FaceBook and spend way too much time watching videos. I never have an issue the videos....
    Yeah, I never have an issue with streaming either. Thought maybe download might be faster or web pages might load a little faster. I've noticed that some emails or even FB takes a little while because of all the pics and vids. At my age you can't afford to wait, you might not make it. lol

BUT...On a related note - my bill from Spectrum went from $200.98 to $34.99 when I move from Texas to Florida and CUT THE CORD. (most of the cord anyway)

Yes!!! Getting that higher speed means that you MUST use it. If you go to gigabyte speed, you will be REQUIRED to have at least four computers running videos 24/7. If you do not, Google will come to your house and shave logos into your pets fur.

Until less than a year ago, I had 1.5 Mbps. Seriously! 1.5!!! For things I did, that was just fine. There were a very few high-def videos that were grainy, but most were fine. I wasn't streaming movies, or anything like that, but it was enough. I then moved to 40 Mbps. The difference was noticeable in some areas, but since most that I had been doing was fine with FAR slower speed, I didn't notice all that much of a difference. If you have lots of users sharing the WIFI, your experience will be different.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing