Thread: Monitor Type

PowerPoster

Monitor Type

Just curious about curved monitors. Seems like they would be great for viewing videos but how are they when viewing text, like code or anything that's mainly texted base(like this forum). I don't watch movies on my computer, I got a TV and a recliner for that.

Anyone using them??? Any information to share???

King of sapila

Re: Monitor Type

I only seen a Samsung curved TV in a house, I did not really like. It felt strange but that's just me.
    Having said that , as I've read, there is really no noticeable difference and curved seems to get more hype but for me I would much rather get an OLED flat screen with the money I would be providing for a curved one.
    https://www.viewsonic.com/library/en...flat-monitors/
    I have read people get nauseated by the curved displays so the ultimate test would be for you to walk to a local store with a laptop , plug it and have a look because nobody can get into the other people eyes.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I've talked to people who have used them, and the general response is indifference. Personally, I think they would only make sense if you were going to get two or three of them to form a significant arc, and then only if you had space where they made sense, and you were likely to stay with that space for the life of the monitor. They seem more suited for just the right place, whereas a flat monitor can work in a wide variety of ways, such as hanging on a wall, stacking, side by side, standalone, and so on. Curved seems less versatile, in that regard: I've got space for three monitors that curve around my sitting area, and I can make use of peripheral vision for this task.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I also think the guy who wrote the article Sapator linked to is nuts. In theory, he's right that there COULD be distortion displaying something on a flat screen, but that distortion doesn't matter if what is being displayed is, itself flat...like a piece of pater with text on it, or...EVERY picture every printed. Yeah, you can cause a fisheye effect with the right lens, but that is because of the lens and the sensor, not the way it is displayed on the screen. By the time it is displayed, it's already a flat image. By the argument made in that link, a curved monitor should be worse for viewing documents, which are normally flat, except that documents can also be curved, such as a magazine page, and as it turns out...we have NO problem with that. So, I think most of that post is just nuts.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing