Thread: SharpDevelop 5.1 Visual form designer function is invalid ON VB.NET?

PowerPoster

SharpDevelop 5.1 Visual form designer function is invalid ON VB.NET?

VB.NET Visual form designer function is invalid, and the function of C# and .NET code conversion is gone.
    WHY?

SharpDevelop has not been updated for 6 years. Is it so difficult to open source? It shouldn't be difficult to add some functions or make some BUG improvements every month?
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 6th, 2021 at 11:12 PM.

Re: SharpDevelop 5.1 Visual form designer function is invalid ON VB.NET?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    VB.NET Visual form designer function is invalid
    If there is a bug in the designer then that is something that you should report to them to fix. If that's not what you're talking about then try providing a full and clear explanation of the problem.
    the function of C# and .NET code conversion is gone.
    We aren't privy to their decision-making process but, if that is the case, my guess would be that, now that Microsoft has decoupled C# and VB language development, C# has been getting a number of features that don't exist in VB and the developers of that code conversion utility decided that it just wasn't worth the effort of trying to support some sort of conversion to VB for those unsupported features. If it's gone it's gone though. How does knowing why help you? If you want code conversion then I suggest using Instant VB from Tangible Software Solutions. The free version has limitations but is enough for most people.

PowerPoster

SharpDevelop has not been updated for 6 years. Is it so difficult to open source? It shouldn't be difficult to add some functions or make some BUG improvements every month?

I submit a bug report and they will not update it at all, no one maintains it. You can try to see if I have all these questions.

PowerPoster

The latest version is SharpDevelop_5.1.0.5216, and the download page is marked with C# support only!). The actual test supports better C#.
    For VB development, there is no graphic design interface. The previous version SharpDevelop_4.4.2.9749 can be used, and there is a graphical design interface for VB development.

In fact, they should keep the most basic form designer, even if some functions are not supported, it doesn't matter.
    The code conversion function should also be retained, and it does not matter if some conversion errors are made.
    It's like Microsoft abandoned VB6, we can't do anything, they won't do any simple modification.

SharpDevelop is open-source. Presumably the group who maintained it decided that it wasn't worth continuing to do so. Again, we're not privy to their decision-making process but I would imagine that the fact that VS Community was provided for free, coupled with the pace and breadth of progress in the .NET space meant that it was becoming too big a job for too little reward.

Complaining about SharpDevelop in a VB.NET forum doesn't really get you or us anywhere. If you have a VB.NET question, ask it. If you want to complain about SharpDevelop then that would be better done in the General Developer forum or maybe even Chit Chat. If you want to see development continue, maybe you need to get involved and rally like-minded people to do so. Keep in mind that there are a lot of new developments in .NET to add support for though, not least of which would be .NET Core. If you want a fully-functional IDE for free then I suggest that that you use VS Community. If you want to use SharpDevelop then you either live with its limitations or do something about them.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

The reason why xiaoyiao is referring to sharpdevelop is because it is part of his mindset at the moment. He seems to be intent on reinventing the wheel (in a good way), see this thread - https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....91Like-Rc6-dll

I think we are seeing the results of his creative mind spinning off in tangents. I believe he may be in the beginnings of an attempt to create a new IDE!

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    The reason why xiaoyiao is referring to sharpdevelop is because it is part of his mindset at the moment. He seems to be intent on reinventing the wheel (in a good way), see this thread - https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....91Like-Rc6-dll

I think we are seeing the results of his creative mind spinning off in tangents. I believe he may be in the beginnings of an attempt to create a new IDE!
    I hoped he would never start .NET, but here we are...
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

I found that some crazy forum administrators were messing around again.I just want to have a good vb.net IDE, a small development tool.

In fact, I'm working on an IDE that has nothing to do with him.

I just hope that in the final commercial software can provide some control to move or add some control functions.

I had problems with sharpdevelop version 5.5, and I was able to use the older version 4.4.

This is not a big problem, but it is a problem.

In fact, it is not a problem, because the open source organization has long stopped updating.

What's wrong with complaining?When the United States was asked to wear masks, they held a mass protest of tens of thousands of people.

Anyway, this is a 100% VB.NET problem.
    I didn't ask them to solve the problem, and I didn't send them an email to update it.
    Then the forum administrator thought it might be a VC + + problem.

Many forum administrators do not do their jobs.Just like the US government considers it a crime to wear a mask, the world is ridiculous.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 8th, 2021 at 11:35 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    SharpDevelop is open-source. Presumably the group who maintained it decided that it wasn't worth continuing to do so. Again, we're not privy to their decision-making process but I would imagine that the fact that VS Community was provided for free, coupled with the pace and breadth of progress in the .NET space meant that it was becoming too big a job for too little reward.

Complaining about SharpDevelop in a VB.NET forum doesn't really get you or us anywhere. If you have a VB.NET question, ask it. If you want to complain about SharpDevelop then that would be better done in the General Developer forum or maybe even Chit Chat. If you want to see development continue, maybe you need to get involved and rally like-minded people to do so. Keep in mind that there are a lot of new developments in .NET to add support for though, not least of which would be .NET Core. If you want a fully-functional IDE for free then I suggest that that you use VS Community. If you want to use SharpDevelop then you either live with its limitations or do something about them.

You might as well think that I should just tweet the president of the United States and demand that they immediately and unconditionally update version 6.1.

who moved the topic to other unrelated channels ?
    I was very angry, maybe you didn't do it, I'm sorry.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

xiaoyiao, keep on topic please and don't write gibberish or we will report your posts.

When you talk about VB6 we can understand you - when you talk about anything else you come over as a very poor example of AI. You could easily be the first example of an AI bot sent to torment the humans.

The admins here are very good indeed. They will moderate you when it is required.

Stick to VB6 and VB.NET.

PowerPoster

VB.NET Visual form designer function is invalid, and the function of C# and .NET code conversion is gone.
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    xiaoyiao, keep on topic please and don't write gibberish or we will report your posts.

When you talk about VB6 we can understand you - when you talk about anything else you come over as a very poor example of AI. You could easily be the first example of an AI bot sent to torment the humans.

The admins here are very good indeed. They will moderate you when it is required.

Stick to VB6 and VB.NET.
    There are no AI robots. It's just that I have such a question, so I brought it up. I am not the boss of sharpdeveop either, I have no right to ask them to arrange dozens of people to update the function immediately.
    I just want to understand the reason. Several people's replies have explained this problem. Microsoft's VS Community Edition is free, and VSCODE is also available. Open source is also costly, and sometimes it may only be maintained by a core staff or team.
    Knowing this situation, I would not think that there might be a new version, I gave up. Sometimes I still wonder, is there something wrong with my settings, why can't the form designer be used?