Thread: Visual Basic 4.0 (FACE RECOGNITION) for Windows 3.11

Addicted Member

Visual Basic 4.0 (FACE RECOGNITION) for Windows 3.11

there is facial recognition with visual basic 4.0 to use on windows 3.11 this would be fun even if not effective or necessary, that is to say the fact of recording a video of the camera with vb4 on windows 3.11 would be incredible.

PowerPoster

Re: Visual Basic 4.0 (FACE RECOGNITION) for Windows 3.11

And even more incredible if that runs on an XT.

PS: to find an XT working today would be incredible by itself.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    And even more incredible if that runs on an XT.

PS: to find an XT working today would be incredible by itself.

Yes guy whit windows 3.1 and face recognition on xt ibm pc it is be incribele.
    In my IT school there is one that connects but there is a small problem the system is corrupted, anscii characters appear on the screen or hexa probably an MSDOS as I understand hexa but not to know version there is recovery it is complete everything working beds floppy buttons etc. .

PowerPoster

I realize that it is a hobby for you, and hobbies are passions that don't have to make sense to others.

But it would be an important contribution if someone comes with code to do face recognition in VB6 that runs over current Windows versions. (and better if it does it performing fast)
    If you can adapt code for doing that, may be someone could help you to backport it to VB4 and Windows 3.1. That would be a minor effort compared (i think).

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I realize that it is a hobby for you, and hobbies are passions that don't have to make sense to others.

But it would be an important contribution if someone comes with code to do face recognition in VB6 that runs over current Windows versions. (and better if it does it performing fast)
    If you can adapt code for doing that, may be someone could help you to backport it to VB4 and Windows 3.1. That would be a minor effort compared (i think).
    yes friend, i want to export current things to windows 3.11 i believe that 386 computing, even though it may be old, can be useful at some point and keep evolving and upgrading it may be useful in the future besides old phones like nokia with certain work can be formatted windows 3.11 and this is an innovation.

PowerPoster

You'd be hard pressed to even find a PC that will run Windows 3.11 at this late stage. The hardware is so far beyond what that OS supports it's hard to imagine a system that runs on 4 megs of ram and a 500mb hard drive and a cpu running at 66mhz which would have been a fairly strong system in the days of Windows 3. stronger in fact than any system I ever used that OS on but incredibly weak compared to anything that has came out in the last 20 years.

Even if you manage to get a system that will run the OS the components in it are going to be so old that they are likely to fail at any moment and replacements almost impossible to find.

You should be looking at a 32 or 64 bit OS and trying to write software that works on those. Very little use for anything running on a 16 bit Windows platform in this century.

PowerPoster

On another note why VB4? While it can build programs that will run on 16 bit Windows VB4 was really a transitional version moving to 32 bit and away from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95/NT development.

Sinecure devotee

Why ask "why VB4"?
    It was stated at the beginning and is in the title of the thread that the OS being targeted is Windows 3.11.
    VB4 was the last version of VB that would run on Windows 3.11. VB5 required Win95.

On the other hand, if I was going to restrict myself to Windows 3.11, then I guess I would go for VB3. VB4 was the first version to merge the VBA core library together with the compiler and was technically slower in most cases compared to a VB3 version of the same code. A lot of people didn't care for VB4 and stuck with VB3 for that reason.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

PowerPoster

Yep, If I were going to target Windows 3 I would use VB3. VB4 will work but would be an odd choice it the goal is 16 bit apps. It is on the other hand a reasonable choice if you have old VB3 apps and want to move them to 32 bit and VB6. The only other reason I would use VB4 is if I did not have anything else to use