Thread: tutorial links

tutorial links

Hello Chaps,
    I am new to VB. I would appreciate links to VB tutorials.
    I am working through A Microsoft tutorial -which are very good - but i cant seem to
    get through to someone who i can ask questions.
    all suggestions will be welcomed
    best regards

fred

Re: tutorial links

I have one in my signature that I wrote: vblessons.com
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

there is also the excellent tutorial of Pierre Lasserre. A bit old but enough to start

Originally in French but thanks to google, you can have a translation :

https://translate.google.com/transla.../cours/vb-net/
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Why would a tutorial provide interactive help? That's what sites like this one are for. Instead of asking for another tutorial when, by your own admission, you already have a good one, you should have asked the questions you say you are unable to at that tutorial. You should create a new thread for each specific question and provide a full and clear explanation of what you're trying to achieve, how you're trying to achieve it and what happens when you try and you'll likely get relatively quick answers. If the tutorial you already have doesn't cover something or doesn't cover it well enough, then it may be time to look elsewhere but it's unlikely that any online tutorial is going to provide interactive help.

An online tutor may provide interactive help but it is a bit different than an online tutorial...
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

the interesting thing about the microsoft tutorial is that I am unable to contact microsoft themselves.
    you see whenever anyone contacts microsoft there is a long procedure to go through that is applying
    a verification procedure and in order to contact a support technician you have to satisfy the verification
    requirements. I have been using computers since the beginning of the 1980's and over that time I have
    probably registered with microsoft at least a dozen times or more and often from different computers and via
    different microsoft departments.
    The registered username and password that microsoft have for me has the incorrect username ( there is a spelling mistake in the username ) when ever I try and enter the site it is thrown out because of this spelling mistake. so I go through the whole procedure of correcting or maybe reregistering but microsoft throws me out at a different stage saying that that either the tel number , the username or some other entry "already registered on the microsoft system" for a different user.
    so now I face a dilema. When I am going through the tutorial there comes a time when the tutorial instructs me
    to enter a new project name on a certain page ( the page I am on) and thereafter i Must choose
    a "class library template" but there is no class library template to choose.
    so now I must contact the forum to place a question detailing the problem - but I cant contact the forum because I get thrown out at the verification phase
    so now you can see why i am looking for another tutorial.
    I agree that it is a bit much to expect a tutorial writer to give interactive help- but when i comes to a question of a technicality in the tutorial i would expect the writer to be able to offer some assistance.
    so i think we both will agree that microsoft tutorials are very good- but we must also agree that if there
    is any gliche - then contacting microsoft is almost impossible
    Interesting discussion nevertheless-
    regards fred

You don't need to contact Microsoft (or the author of a tutorial, etc) to ask questions, you can ask those questions on this site.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; May 6th, 2021 at 08:04 AM.

Hello Delaney-
    Yes I have looked at the link that you suggested and I find it very helpful
    . many thanks for the advice and help
    regards
    fred

hello dday9--
    just a note to compliment you on your tutorial VBLessons referred to in your signature. it really is excellent. i like the simplicity of your explanations and especially the builtin links to the relevant microsoft help page.
    I have had extensive experience on the old dos versions of the BASIC programming language but moved away from
    basic in 1985 in favour of dBase . Being quite comfortable with Dos there was no need to change until the latest windows with 64bit processing made my selfwritten programmes redundant.
    so your tutorial fits my requirements to a T .
    ( I have to laugh at someone from Norfolk who is spamming me with accusations of my ineptitude !! suggesting that
    my questions could be answered by research on google. I was programming in BasicA and Gwbasic 12 years before
    google was came into being !! )
    But i do used google extensively and will continue to do so for many years.
    Best regards
    fred