Thread: Print Dialog box remove copies.

Lively Member

Print Dialog box remove copies.

Is there a way to remove the copies from the dialog box? I don't want users to enter copies here because I am printing labels and Microsoft does not like to print on multiple labels across so I have to trick it.

Re: Print Dialog box remove copies.

Changing the copies textbox doesn't change anything about your print run. It won't print multiple pages. It's a setting for you to make use of yourself...

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    Changing the copies textbox doesn't change anything about your print run. It won't print multiple pages. It's a setting for you to make use of yourself...
    True, but if the Copies box is able to be disabled (as the OP seems to want it to be), then the end user will know not to expect to be able to print multiple copies, since they can't change the value.

If it is enabled and the code simply ignores its value, then the end user may be confused when they are able to select 2 or more copies and only get 1 to print.

I don't know how you can disable the copies textbox, but i do know you could make it work as your user expects it to work. That's what i'd do...

Fanatic Member

Perhaps you could get the screen coordinates of the print dialog and place a label over it?

Lively Member

Hmmm, The point of this I am asking for # of copies on an input form then setting how it prints programmatically. In this scenario if the user puts in 3 copies on the input form, it will print 3 labels across (on page 1 - page 1 hold 12 labels - (continuous roll)). If they put 3 copies in the print dialog box, it prints 3 labels but only on the first row of labels and the page height spits out several blank labels before it prints the next label. I am not sure why Microsoft removed the ability to print labels (multiple labels across and small when the width is larger than the height and vice versa). It was much easier in Foxpro. I am not sure on how to miniplate the print dialog form to put a label over it.

It's printing that way because all it is seeing is a page, not individual labels... so when you tell it 3 copies, it prints 3 pages... in reality, your "page" should be a label, or possibly a row of labels rather than the entire sheet. OR, your intercept the number of copies, and re-arrange how the labels get printed out. That's probably how I'd do it. Before the print starts, grab the number of copies, calculate the total number of labels to print, reset the copies back to 1... then start looping through the total number of labels: L1C1, L2,C1, L3C1, L1C2, L2C2, L3C2, L1C3, L2C3, L3C3 arranged as needed on the sheet.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

The problem is that when I try to tell Microsoft the dimensions of the label, it automatically selects orientation. I wan torientation to be portrait but it will not let me changed it to portrait. even programmatically it doesn't work.