Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it legal to use vb6 enterprise free in 2021 ?

PowerPoster

Re: is it legal to use vb6 enterprise free in 2021 ?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    I can only say that if any country goes to Mars first, they can occupy half of the area. Then build a fence to divide the area, and other countries will pay the corresponding fees if they want to go up.
    I challenge you to explain why you think this comment has relevance to this thread, forum, or hell, this website. People here will tolerate your programming related nonsense because it is at least programming related.

The language barrier can't be an issue here because there is no way the original Chinese thought that went into that post had anything to do with programming to begin with.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    If Microsoft prohibits VB6 from running on new systems such as WIN10, maybe install a virtual machine WIN7, xp, WIN8, win2003, which is more convenient to operate, the old system is still very compatible with VB6
    This is a good point. I would reckon that many people who are still relying on VB 6.0 for development or for program usage are probably also holding on to or at least have access to older OS's. Any decision by Microsoft to attempt to restrict the VB 6.0 IDE or programs made with it from running wouldn't be able to be applied retroactively to older OS's that are essentially cut off from the Internet.

PowerPoster

Yes, very good point. Go back to develop in XP and tell all your users that now they need to downgrade to XP to run your programs.
    It is a fantastic idea.

If you have more ideas like this please share.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Yes, very good point. Go back to develop in XP and tell all your users that now they need to downgrade to XP to run your programs.
    It is a fantastic idea.

If you have more ideas like this please share.
    If that was directed at me, settle down. My point was that a theoretical attempt to quash any and all continued use of VB 6.0 by making it not work in Windows 10 wouldn't be all that effective, since many of the people still holding on are probably not using Windows 10 to begin with. And if they are, they have alternatives.

PowerPoster

I think it is more of a question of fixing security bugs vs. blocking continued use if security holes get exposed.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    If that was directed at me, settle down. My point was that a theoretical attempt to quash any and all continued use of VB 6.0 by making it not work in Windows 10 wouldn't be all that effective, since many of the people still holding on are probably not using Windows 10 to begin with. And if they are, they have alternatives.
    That's totally wrong, all the end users (OK, 99% and going up) are using Windows 10.

PowerPoster

That's totally wrong, all the end users (OK, 99% and going up) are using Windows 10.
    I'm giving you a courtesy reply to LOL at those numbers. I'd like to see a credible source that says 99% of Windows users are using Windows 10. I found results as of a few months ago that said Windows 7 still had a 13.8% market share, so clearly you are wrong.

Which is beside the point anyway. I was not making a statement about end users as a whole, but rather about end users who are still using VB 6.0 in some fashion (developing, or consuming), which is a very, very small subset of end users. And, IMO, those users are less likely to be running Windows 10 than a randomly selected end user.

Feel free to respond and make more claims that aren't accurate, but I'm done with this discussion.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Feel free to respond and make more claims that aren't accurate, but I'm done with this discussion.
    Whatever, I didn't intend to be accurate.

PowerPoster

There is some Win7 hanging on in business yet as well as among contrarian home users, but Windows 10 is basically everything today.

Name:  windows.png
Views: 275
Size:  6.0 KB

All of you know well, when MS introduced 64 bit OS in XP, they do implemented 32 bit VM, so that 32 bit programs can run in 64 bit OS as well. Even latest win10 64 bit OS supports 32 bit as well.

From faraway, they are been supporting things, that were from previous OS like internet explorer, msvbvm6.0.dll, etc.

Its true that they won't kill, but they do left to die like currently they are doing with VB.NET, mfc, atl, wtl. VB is NOT available in Xamarin.

And it doesn't matter how much user use win10, the thing which matter is stability.
    Win8.1 was flopped under some years. Win10 was made to lowerdown the embarrassment. lol

Win10 is used more, because new student buy new pc, and inside FREE win10 is already installed.
    Whereas win7 is paid. And even so much folk use it.
    But I recommend to switch to win10, if your pc have nice ram and cpu.
    Else, win7 is best for low end PCs.
    greetings !
    I upload useless codes at: https://github.com/graysuit
    And talk at: https://discord.com/invite/Hu5XPGMTuk
    And I exist here due to vb6 love

PowerPoster

Whatever, I didn't intend to be accurate.
    I'm going to apologize for being jerky in my responses to you. I certainly wasn't advocating that people downgrade their OS right now just in case Microsoft decides to dump VB 6.0 at some point in the future.

Scenario:
    Some people are still relying on a VB 6.0 compiled application for their business.

Microsoft:
    Decides to push out a patch to Windows 10 that prevents anything VB 6.0 related to run (IDE, compiled programs, etc), as was suggested earlier in this thread.

Conclusion (?): All VB 6.0 related activity (development, usage of compiled VB 6.0 programs) ceases to exist from that day forward? No...that's not what would happen.

If I'm a small business owner running some VB 6.0 compiled program that I use for my daily business needs, that patch literally shuts me down from a business standpoint.

So my options are (I'm ignoring the option of removing the patch for the sake of argument):

1. Close down my business until I can get my hands on an equivalent program compiled in something other than VB 6.0 and migrate all my data to this new program (who knows how long this will take?)
    2. Stay open and do everything on paper until I can get my hands on an equivalent program compiled in something other than VB 6.0 and migrate all my data to this new program (who knows how long this will take?)
    3. Have a tech contact set up a computer running an OS older than Windows 10, install my program and data, and be back up and running fairly quickly. Look at getting the program replaced but not be pressed for time to get it done like options 1 and 2 require.

For a small business owner, of course option 3 is the right option.

That was the point I was trying to make earlier.

PowerPoster

In a perfect world, these businesses would all have moved off of any program compiled in VB 6.0 years ago and onto programs developed with supported tools. But small business often have little to no budget or incentive for internal technology upgrades.

There is a local small business that I frequent that has a website where you can browse their current inventory. A couple years ago, I saw that they had an item in stock that I was interested in. I went to the store and the item wasn't on the shelf.

I asked the owner about it and he said "Yeah, we've been having some problems with syncing the database from the store computer to the website." He brought up his local inventory program and confirmed that it truly was not in the store.

When he did that, I could see his computer screen. And, while I never had much direct involvement with the software he was using, I recognized it fairly quickly. It was a dBase IV database in a command prompt. And that was maybe 3 years ago.

On my way home I chuckled to myself wondering what kind of Rube Goldberg setup was in place to sync between dBase IV and his website database.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; May 3rd, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

PowerPoster

Yes, no problem, I apologize too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12